Which would you choose

Which would you pick if you had the choice

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarkCO

If you were to go to a competition (for score) that provided 9mm pistols and ammo, which would you choose?

zukiphile

My analysis:

Glock 17s are pretty durable, so if you are getting a bunch for loaners, that durability is an asset. The problem is that some people will feel very disadvantaged by the grip angle.

Sig P320 - No experience shooting one. I like the grip though.

CZP09 - No experience. The exposed hammer and grip safety give tactile and visual indications of the state of the item. That might be important for range safety with unfamiliar shooters. CZ triggers have a sort of hammer lift movement at the beginning of the pull; that really annoys some people.

M&P9 - No experience shooting one. I like the grip.

Beretta 92 - I want to say that these are a good option because of the exposed hammer and conventional grip angle. I dislike the slide mounted safety, and having broken two locking blocks I have less trust in these working than I would a Glock. I know both those observations are subjective, and might not be statistically supported.

Last edited:

MarkCO

I have done my analysis and all and while I have my preferences, I am looking to see what a group of people will actually pick. The reasons they pick then are irrelevant to me at this point.

lordvader

I know this was not one of the pistols on the list but a 1911 would be my choice, as I have limited experience with Glocks. And only with the G19, which was also not on the list. And no experience with the other models.

Sevens

Awfully vague "competition", because if it's IDPA-style and I have to draw and go, I'd need to know what the rules are with regard to the first shot. I.E., if I am forced to take the first shot double action and transition to SA for all follow up shots, that's a problem for me.

If this is simply a knee-jerk popularity poll, I suppose I'd select the CZ given these choices. If it's draw and shoot IDPA style, I think I might take the M&P9.

If I am shopping for guns... none of them, thanks. If I am choosing one to be given free, it's whatever would be the easiest flip. ;)

RiponP90

I put CZ because I've always wanted to try one but I honestly have no experience with one. Using you as a guinea pig was really my plan there.

MarkCO

RipinP90, I bought a CZP09 and it is a really nice pistol. Out of the box, probably the best of the ones I listed.

Sevens, think low-ready, closer to Steel Challenge.

marine6680

I love my M&P, but it isn't stock... With even the newest stock trigger, it's only a decent trigger out of the box. Ergos are great though, and it really does feel nice on the hand, near the top of the list in this poll for ergo.

Glocks in Gen 4 version are only so so for me. Ergos don't quite work and the trigger is average at best... I can shoot them decently though regardless.

The Beratta is a nice pistol but a little big for some people. If you are not forced to start in DA mode, it would be less of an issue and it has a good trigger.

The 320 is accurate and is comfortable in the hand. Some people will have issues with the trigger at first due to how it works, and some may hold it in a way that prevents slide lock. It's a soft shooter though.

The P-09 is more comfortable for more people than the Beretta, it would give the M&P a good run for Ergos and likely beat it for most people. Trigger pull is long for some people though, once again, not starting in DA would help. It having the option for cocked and locked make it viable for starting SA. It has the second best stock trigger on the list, behind the Beretta.

I would probably choose the CZ P-09 then.

Put an Apex trigger in the M&P, and my vote would change.

JDBerg

MarkCO: said:
If you were to go to a competition (for score) that provided 9mm pistols and ammo, which would you choose?

Depends on the type of competition, IDPA SSP and GSSF would all indicate the Glock, "IMHO" the best choice is the G-34 model which isn't listed.

Last edited: