Which Would You Carry?

Shadi Khalil

I normally don't start threads of this nature for fear of it degenerating into a caliber war. However, I'm a bit stumped and just wanted to hear some opinions..

I went to the gun show this weekend and picked up a lot of different SD ammo in .38 special. I got a really good deal on a bunch of Gold Saber and an even better deal on a similar amount of Georgia Arms FBI load. I know both are have been around for quite some time and I've always had good experience with the two but have never carried the FBI type load. Both are equally as accurate out of my snub but the GS has a bit more recoil, which isn't a problem.

My normal carry ammo ranges from GD short barrels, Hornandy standard pressure or Federal hydra's. I'm comfortable with those three but I know I'll eventually be carrying some of the new stuff. So, for SD carry in a Airweight revolver, which of the two would you carry?

425755ea-5350-fc6e.jpg

Gold Saber 125gr. +P

425755ea-538e-1839.jpg

Georgia Arms 158gr. Semi Wadcutter JHP +P

I know there has been plenty of discussion about semi wadcutters vs modern day hollow points. My question is more specific to one really dated bullet technology and another sorta dated bullet technology :)

Thanks.

Shadi Khalil

Bone breaking is always a good thing. I remember hearing some reports about GS and jacket separation in the past but recent test I've seen didn't have that problem.

Crazy88Fingers

I wasn't aware GA made that load; I'll have to look for it next time they're in town.

You wrote that the GS has a little more recoil. Would the GA round be easier to shoot one-handed? Accuracy and shot placement are much more important than the fine print on a ballistics chart.

Shadi Khalil

Crazy,

Both can be fired accurately one handed but IMO its easier with the GA ammo. That 125gr bullet just has more snap to it which slows down follow up shots just a bit.

rodfac

That 125 gr Golden Saber is the round my wife and I carry in our .38 Spl S&W's. From her 637 with a 1-7/8" barrel, I chrono'd it at 928 fps for a five shot average. That serrated edge on the expanded bullet is the closest thing I've yet seen that compared the long gone and much lamented Winchester Black Talon.

The GS round is very accurate in both our revolvers...one inch at 10 yds from a Weaver Stance...I've posted the pic below, taken last year, when I did some comparative expansion and chrono testing of various rounds. All were shot into water (a swimming pool) and recovered. The LSWC is our practice round producing similar recoil in both our guns. While water only is not directly comparable to flesh and bone, the tests do give you some idea of what final expansion looks like in a duplicated medium.

Best Regards. Rodfac

BTW the Federal hydra-shok chrono'd at 840 fps from my wife's 2" barreled 637 Airweight and 951 fps from my 3" Chief's Special. Expansion was not at good, even at the higher velocity, as the Remington GS.

P8181567-1.jpg

Shadi Khalil

Rodfac,

Those are some impressive results, both for the chrono and expansion. I watched a ballistic gelatin test done by TNoutdoors on YouTube and he produced the same results with expansion. If I recall correctly, it penatrated around 14 inches, fully expanded and retained its weight.

FotoTomas

The 124 grain 9mm Golden Saber is my issued duty round. I would be happy with the Golden Saber in my S&W 638 as well. Currently I am using the less expensive Remington 125gr JHP in the 638.

Kreyzhorse

Really, either is fine. Generally though, I believe in throwing the most weight as you can at your target so I might lean towards the 158 gr.

mj246

I would want to test the GA load a couple of times before trusting it. The 38 +p LSWCHP seems to have different reliability expansion-wise based on the hardness of the lead used. If I could test it for expansion in media of some sort (preferably with some cloth/denim/whatever in front it), I would. Otherwise, just take one out and see how soft the lead seems. Ideally it should be soft enough to deform when put under pressure, but not so soft that it will lead the barrel to heck in only a couple cylinders.

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how to determine if it has this "magic" level of softness because I mostly shoot at an indoor range that doesn't allow non-jacketed ammo and so have very limited experience with plain lead projectiles. Maybe somebody else here could enlighten us as to a good way to estimate if a lead HP is soft enough to expand at 38spl velocities without firing the round.

bossman

I agree either will do the job. I like the heavier 158 gr LSWCHP with 38 spl.
I will say with the LSWCHP I like to pump it up to +p levels.

I'm pretty much old school in thinking heavier the better. Maybe one exception is the 9mm where I like the 124 gr over the heavier 147 gr.

Shadi Khalil

I'm a bit swamped at work and under the weather to boot but if I get time this weekend, I'll do some informal testing on a few rounds.