Which would you buy?

USNRet93

I know, I know, it's cold outside and the outdoor range is still snow clobbered..2 sons and I going to the gun show in Denver on the 25th. I know, 'gunshow' but we are thinking about one of these 4 'choices'...assuming a budget would cover any of them..which? Just for range plinking, fun..

Ruger mini-14
Ruger mini-30
New manufacture M1 Carbine
Old, decent shape, WW2/Korean era M1 Carbine.

AND before anybody says 'AR type platform'..oldest son already has one of those..looking for 'different'...

bobn

when mini 14s were cheap.that. ...now that they are high priced not so much. m1 carbines have moved the decimal place over. however at least they will hold the value. the others not so much. jmho. bob

mcb66

Surplus M1 is always going to bring decent money and there will always be a collectors market. Potential upside on investment.

Pathfinder45

You never know what you will find at the gunshows. You hope for the best and maybe none of that happens, or something unexpectedly good that wasn't quite what you had in mind but has to come home with you anyway. Maybe nothing and you can call it a trip to the museum. Hopefully you will get lucky.

bamaranger

Mini 30

Me, I'd get the Mini 30, provided money was no object. Why? I'm primarily geared as a hunter and outdoorsman, and I see the 7.62x39mm cartridge as more versatile than the M1 .30 carbine, or the (gasp) .223. Given the degree of accuracy available from most Mini's, your not giving anything up much in terms of range, even though the .223 is faster and flatter. And though many think the .223 is a deer/hog cartridge with the right slug, the x39mm certainly is with 125 gr or 150 grain factory slugs. The fact that I could get one with synthetic stock from stainless steel would be another strong selling point on a rough use woods carbine as well. My econd choice would be a Mini14, but what a new one brings money wise seems way high these days. The AR has the semi/.223 market flooded these days for half the price.

A GI .30 carbine seems a roll of the dice, thing might run reliably, and it might not. No good way to scope one either, old or new, important if you don't have young eyes.

10-96

Provided there is no "Blue Skyy" stamp along the barrel, I would go for one of those. They are just plain tons of fun.

Scorch

I personally would not recommend an M1 Carbine. Yeah, in the day they were kinda cool, but never really cool. Ammo is expensive and anemic. An original is tired, and new production ones are kind of hit and miss as far as reliability. Minis have come a long way in terms of accuracy, they are honest 2"-3" at 100 yds guns now with decent ammo (Mini-14s a bit more than Mini-30s, mainly because of ammo). And a Mini is still cheaper than an M1 Carbine. So in my book there is no comparison.

kozak6

Depends on the budget and intent.

Since hunting wasn't listed and you guys already have a 5.56, I'm leaning towards the Mini-14 since ammo commonality is huge. I saw Mini-14's at the December gunshow for the high $400's and up, although keep in mind that Ruger won't service the 180-series anymore.

USGI carbines are going for something like a grand and up these days.

Commercial carbines could fall anywhere in between those two prices ranges.

Pathfinder45

Sometimes less power is actually better. I'm thinking that the M1 carbine may actually be a better home defense tool than either of the mini options for that reason; less power, penetration, and range.

mxsailor803

I do like the M1 but if you’re looking for something different and would be more economical, have you looked at the Ruger PC9? Nothing against your other suggestions but the PC9 would be much more economical to shoot unless you reload.

540mope

Out of that selection I'd take the Mini 30.

Me as well. Perfect for pest control and plinking. I'd look for a 582 series, or newer. They have the heavier "improved" barrel.
The only issue with them is the cost. I don't see them being a $900 rifle...but they usually are. I found a barely used Mini 30 Ranch at a local pawn shop for $550.. i would never pay the 'new' price.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_132929441.jpg
    IMG_20190705_132929441.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:

50 shooter

What about getting a couple different uppers for the AR lower? 300 B.O., 6.5 or 6.8 will fit also on the lower.

Plenty of brass and ammo out there that you won't have to make your own. Plenty of die selection also, so just choose the company you like the most. If you reload, there's plenty out there to keep you busy.

Having a Korean M1 Carbine (paratroop model) its fun to shoot but getting more expensive every year. 110 FMJ bullets especially. (components)

Since you have a AR available. Why not a Rusky Mini.