Which would you buy for skeet shooting?

chasep255

I can't decide between getting a Stoeger Uplander Supreme or a Mossberg 930 with a 28'' barrel. Both will be chambered in 12ga. I am buying this shotgun for skeet shooting. Which do you think is better?

krimmie

Well, the Stoeger website says...
:)The popular Stoeger Uplander side-by-side shotgun is a great alternative to pricey British doubles.:)
:); but I would go with the 930. If you have a retailer(Gander,ProBass) near you, go handle some shotguns and see which one feels best.

Last edited:
Chasep225:

How serious do you want to shoot skeet? If you are a casual shooter any shot gun with changable chokes and a barrel length of 26 to 28 inches will suffice. On most skeet ranges a barrel shorter then 26 inches is forbidden. Shooting skeet seriously requires a specific skeet gun. Most have barrels of 26 inches and are bored skeet.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

oneounceload

The popular Stoeger Uplander side-by-side shotgun is a great alternative to pricey British doubles.

No, it really isn't. It isn't even a close alternative to the Spanish doubles...........however, it CAN double as a cheater bar for a jack handle....;)

pabuckslayer08

Yea no Stoeger in my opinion unless your playing baseball. The 930 is a good low price field gun and would work for you but there are way better options for 500 or 600 dollars. Your not going to get anything great but alot better than the 2 you mentioned. I recommend checking on the CZ line of shotguns. Very good for the price of them.

oneounceload

Personally, I would be scouring the bulletin boards at your local gun clubs for a nice used semi from Beretta, or possibly Remington for a $600 budget

Target guns are NOT the place to go cheap - you'll spend WAY more on targets and ammo over the years - get a good gun that FITS, not something cheap that will break more often than not

zippy13

Recently we've been plagued with requests for Skeet gun recommendations by folks who didn't have clue. They didn't realize that Skeet is a specific shotgun sport. It isn't a generic term for shooting holes in the sky while trying to break targets tossed in a stubble field.

Chasep255, if you really want a gun for shooting Skeet, you'll be disappointed with with the Stoeger or the 930. My friend 1-oz is correct, for a bottom dollar Skeet gun look to a used Remington or Beretta auto-loader with a target barrel and stock.

You'll hear recommendations from casual shooters who'll say their budget gun is great for Skeet. As a competitive Skeet shooter, I don't know how many times I've witnessed a shooter quickly become disappointed and frustrated by an inappropriate gun.

the rifleer

I shoot skeet with a mossberg 500. With that said, I have heard great things of the mossberg 930 and if i had to pick between the two you mentioned, id pick the 930 as well.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448863

Beretta 3901 $600

This is not my Skeet gun but I've shot a couple of 23's with it on the skeet range... I bought it as a field gun I can throw in the truck and take care of anything from doves to ducks but I've been presently surprised with how well it works at the Skeet Range... Would I take it to a competition, no I would not, but for casual shoots with friends its more than adequate..

I have no experience with the Mossberg 930...

Slugo

Beretta 3901 is your best bet in a reasonably priced autoloader. It's a terrific all around gun. The Mossy 930 gets good reviews, but its durability is unproven. A Stoeger in general for skeet is a bit of a laugher!! Sorry... :rolleyes:

Slugo

the CZ is a run of the mill field gun, never hold up under continuous target shooting. "Made in Turkey" is not what you're looking for when it comes to a target gun. Just the voice of experience, many mistakes and allot of shooting...

PawPaw

Aaah, skeet! My first love and the first competition game that I ever played.

I've broken more guns on a skeet range than anywhere else. The sheer volume of shooting requires a gun that's up to the task of multiple thousands of rounds. I'd hesitate to say how many shells I've shot at true skeet, but the tens of thousands would be conservative.

When I was starting out, I read an article by Grits Gresham talking to Rudy Etchen about guns and skeet, and... well...
GRITS: What guns do you prefer?

RUDY: Well, I shot Winchester Model 12s and Model 42s in competition for years - in 12, 20, 28, and .410 gauges. Since then I've been shooting some Browning O/Us which are nice, and the matched sets of Remington 870s are really nice. The Model 1100s are fine guns, but I was just raised on pumps and two-barrel guns, and auto-loaders just weren't a part of my life.

With a properly fitted stock and a case of shells you could do worse than to use a Remington 870. I'd use a 26" barrel with a skeet choke. That combo would let you discover the game without breaking the bank.

Slugo

what a GREAT interview from the past. He's right on and I like his recommendation for variable angle targets. Thanks for posting, made my day... :)

zippy13

Clifford L. Hughes said:
Shooting skeet seriously requires a specific skeet gun. Most have barrels of 26 inches and are bored skeet.
Gunny,
Yes, you need a specific gun for Skeet, but 26-inch barrels went out of style many years ago. The short barrels are quick to get on target, but they'll get off target just as quickly. My first Skeet gun had 26-inch barrels but that was 46-years ago. Since then we've learned that a gun with longer barrels gives a smoother swing and higher scores. My old 26-inch got me an NSSA classification of AA, but my newer 28-inch guns got me into AAA. My newest is a 30-inch Skeet gun, but the jury is still out on that one.
Many thanks for your service -- sem fi from an old squid.

Slugo

here's mine. 1985 Browning Citori 12ga/28" Special Skeet...

DSC_0095-1.JPG