Which to keep; .300 H&H or .300 WSM

gmarr

Downsizing my collection and have to decide which of these to keep. Both rifles are Winchester M70's. The H&H is an XTR and the WSM is a Super Shadow. Both have 24" barrels and are in LNIB condition. So which is the keeper and which goes to a new home? Please choose and give me reason/opinions.

Much appreciated.

10-96

Personally I would hold onto the H&H. I like classics and the .300 H&H has a pretty colorful history with Wimbledon and lots of other wins dating back to the 1920's. And, I guess the ammo may not be as common as the WSM, but I'd just like to be the guy in camp with the elegant old school .300 H&H.

fourbore

And the XRT is a nicer gun as long as neither are being used.

I dont see a super shadow as a future collectable.

As for ammo availability the H&H will be around forever, I dont often see the WSM anything other than the .17. I dont think ammo availability matters for a gun that will not be fired.

J.G. Terry

Do some homework!

You gotta be kidding. How much does the 300 H&H XTR cost now? How many were made? Check out current asking price on that particular model rifle. I can go buy a 300WSM in any number of rifles today. Try to find a 300 H&H XTR. The H&H an old time classic cartridge. I load for 300 H&H and have no problem with scarce factory cartridges. The Shadow would go. Want another Shadow then check out the big box store.

Last edited:

joed

H&H all th way. I owned one for 18 years and actually regret selling it. It's a classic cartridge that has been around for a long time.

The WSM hasn't been around long at all and will probably fade away.

agtman

Personally I would hold onto the H&H. I like classics and the .300 H&H has a pretty colorful history with Wimbledon and lots of other wins dating back to the 1920's. And, I guess the ammo may not be as common as the WSM, but I'd just like to be the guy in camp with the elegant old school .300 H&H.

Ditto this, majorly.

ThomasT

My bud had a Mauser chambered in 300H&H and really hated himself for selling it. He tried to buy it back but no deal. Thats the one I would keep.

fourbore

Did hell just freeze over !!!! I never saw a discussion on any gun forum where I read over 10 posts in a row in agreement!?! Firing Lin of all forums! :D

Dufus

I guess the hell place is gonna get colder 'cause I would keep the 300H&H without even another thing to consider.

jmr40

H&H for nostalgia, WSM for performance. Which is more important to you.

I had a 300 WSM for a while. I liked the round a LOT, but simply don't need any magnum cartridges. If I were going to go back to anything magnum the 300 WSM would be the one I'd buy.

Why?

The WSM gets slightly more speed and much better accuracy, with less recoil from a true short action. The 300 H&H needs either a magnum action, or in the case of your rifle a long action that has to be modified. Neither rifle that you own has any collector interest. If you had a pre-64 with CRF in 300 H&H then you'd have something with some class. The push feed XTR is just another rifle, just like the Super Shadow.

Ledslnger

Yep, the Winmag is a Chevette and the H&H is a Porsche. Or, maybe a Cruze.....might be hard to find a Chevette today. You can buy Chevy Cruze day in day out. Much harder to locate a Porsche that you might want.

J.G. Terry

300 H&H and 300 WSM

Performance: There is not much difference between H&H and WSM. The M70 XTR in 300 H&H is uncommon. That's more of a concern than caliber. The M70 in 300 WSM is a good rifle with short action. A good rifle that is frequently discounted in the Big Box Stores. Which one is going to hold its value? Which rifle would be the hardest to replace? See where I'm coming from? The post 64 M70 has a long action that does not require any major modification for 300 H&H. The cartridges, H&H and WSM are essentially at the same level of performance.

Last edited:
300 H&H is a E_uropean cartridge. There is no way to gauge whether the 300 H&H goes on being made by American ammo makers or not. (popularity keeps most cartridge available. I don't think the venerable 300 H&H is all that popular these days here in America.)
On the other hand the 300 WSM is a Winchester creation as Win is known [not] to eliminate production overnight on its marketed cartridges. I wish I could say the same about Remington but I won't.