Which "style" .308 AR to buy?

Ok, I've decided on a Rock River LAR-8. Should I get the Mid-length with 16" barrell or the Standard with 20" barrell? This will be used primarily for HD and some woods walking/hog hunting. Possibly for Deer as an alternative to my .308 bolt gun. The 16" claims a 1 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. The Standard claims 1 MOA at 100 yds. Most of the places I hunt deer are within 150 yards and if using as a SHTF/HD rifle, then I wouldn't expect to take any shots longer than 200 yards. If i have to take a shot longer than that I would use my Savage 12FV in .308. As you can tell I love the .308 round and already have a Rock River mid-length AR15.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

wjkuleck

The 16" claims a 1 1/2 MOA at 100 yds

That's unfortunate. A Fulton Armory Titan in 16" will get you 1/2". That's not me talking, that's Charlie Cutshaw in:

TitanCover-360_50.jpg

Note that unlike a Titan, or a DPMS or Remington,. for that matter, you are stuck with whatever RR offers for uppers, because they don't adhere to the Fulton ARmory/DPMS standard (which Remington and Bushmaster also comply).

I'm not going to talk down the RR, the Larsons are nice people with good products. However, I'm not convinced that their taking the failed Bushmaster BAR-10 design on was their best choice.

Regards,

Walt

lmccrock

The RRA "standard" uses common, cheap, FAL magazines. And DSA has announced they are making new FAL mags, and they are accepting pre-orders now ($20). So customers are not left with using surplus mags of unknown useage. DPMS mags are $30-50 if you can find them right now. AR-10 mags cost more. Expect future US Federal legislation to make it harder to get mags so whatever you get, stock up now.

However, I'm not convinced that their taking the failed Bushmaster BAR-10 design on was their best choice.
The story was that RRA designed it, licensed it to Bushmaster, then took it back when Bushmaster discontinued it.

A Fulton Armory Titan in 16" will get you 1/2". That's not me talking, that's Charlie Cutshaw
So, Walt, that is not Fulton's warranty, that is a user's experience? ;) Big difference between a dedicated user's results and a mfr warranty.

Regardless, the only RRA LAR-8 shipping is the 16", with the varmint (26") promised next. No word on the 20". I wanted a varmint, but could not wait and a DPMS 20" came across my path. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to wring it out except that it's group with S&B 147gr can be covered with a nickel at 50 yds, open sights. I am pleased so far.

Check the weight before you buy. My 20" DPMS weighs about 11 lbs (although lighter barrel versions are available), Remington is around 10, Fulton 9.5-10, all without sights. For a hunting/field gun, something to consider.

Lee

What is the cost of the Fulton Armory?

The weight of the Standard is 9.0 lbs. with the Mid-Length weighing 8.1 lbs.

I'm not opposed to buying a different mfg, I just know I like RRA's products. Their trigger is excellent!

lmccrock

If you can find a LAR-8 at $1000, good for you. They have been promising varmint models next with 20" after that. If you do not have an order in now, expect a long wait. Some orders were placed when they were announced 3 years ago and they are still waiting. Granted, shipping did not start until a year or so ago. And they are still just shipping the 16". You can always get what you can now, then modify it later.

Fulton costs more, but expect a higher grade rifle with better finishing. If you really want to spend more, there is always JP Rifles LRP-07 (link to PDF). :eek: A truly excellent rifle, but spendy.

Lee