Which Steyr .308? SSG04, Elite, SSG69

Para Bellum

Hi folks,

I am about to buy a new .308 bolt action.
I want it to be as precise as possible and still useful for hunting.
Being Austrian, I'd like a Steyr, but I am open for others as well.

But even choosing between Steyrs is hard, which of these would you choose and why?

Steyr SSG 69 PII:
index.php

Technical Data here: http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/sportwaffen/steyr-ssg-69/technical-data/

Steyr SSG04
index.php

Technical Data here: http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/sportwaffen/steyr-ssg-04/technical-data/

Steyr Elite
index.php

Technical Data here: http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/sportwaffen/steyr-elite/technical-data/

Steyr Pro Hunter Heavy Barrel
index.php

Technical Data:
- 22mm thick Match Barrel
- 25,5" barrel Length
- Weight 3,8 kg

I assume the Elite makes the match because it ist the most modern System (SBS) with better safety than the SSG09 and because the medium length barrel (570mm/22,4") is a good compromise between stiffness and bullet speed.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Moloch

May I ask you why the steyr pro hunter heavy barrel is not on your list? Its a very capeable rifle, its a lot cheaper than both the SSG 04 and the Elite and its just as good! The SSG04 as example is a steyr pro hunter heavy barrel with a tad longer barrel, muzzle brake and an adjustable cheek piece!

Kiwi Hunter

I couldnt really think of 3 worse rifles for hunting?? Heavy / "tactical" bits / blocky shapes on stock / extended bolt knobs etc. Anything like that is a nightmare to carry for any distance. (this coming from the guy who once bought a H&K SL8 :barf:)

Depends whether you want a "match" gun that goes for a hunt once a year or a "hunting rifle" that is good at the range..

I have the Steyr Scout rifle in .308 and it is pretty darn good. Shoots 0.2moa (really) with 155 Nosler CC's and 0.5 with 165 SST's, precise enough for me. It is nice and light - Kimber / rem Ti light when you consider it has a Bipod attached. It also makes you notice just what a PITA carrying a rifle with a harris style bipod attached is. I dont use the forward scope option as this always just seems pointless.

It is about 120 fps down on a 26 inch BBL (Sendero) but if you are worrying about velocity then you probably dont want a .308 :)

The ultralight is another nice thing and truely lovely to carry - but mine has never been as accurate as the scout :(

Last edited:

golf97

At what distance are you taking game? A sporter barrel on a simple Rem700 or Savage in .308 or other will probably shoot 1.5moa or better, which is more than you need for taking game inside of normal game ranges.

If I were to choose one of those three to own for any purpose other than hunting, it would be the SSG04.

Para Bellum

Thanks, folks, here are my comments

Thanks folks,

as for your remarks:

May I ask you why the steyr pro hunter heavy barrel is not on your list? Its a very capeable rifle, its a lot cheaper than both the SSG 04 and the Elite and its just as good! The SSG04 as example is a steyr pro hunter heavy barrel with a tad longer barrel, muzzle brake and an adjustable cheek piece!
Yes, you are right, thanks for the suggestion. I will add it to the original post.

I couldnt really think of 3 worse rifles for hunting?? Heavy / "tactical" bits / blocky shapes on stock / extended bolt knobs etc. Anything like that is a nightmare to carry for any distance. (this coming from the guy who once bought a H&K SL8 )
Yes my friend, you're right! And that's maybe why I am struggling here for 4 years now. Meanwhile I use my grandfather-in-law's Mauser98 7x57 hunting conversion for hunting. But this old rifle only shoots 1 MOA with one very expensive type of ammo (RWS H-Mantel 11,2g). All other loads spray....
And I always wanted a rifle I can have fun at the range with (300m and more).
I can use the light Mauser anytime for hunting when I wouldn't wanna drag the havy rifle. But for hunting from a Treehouse/Stand etc, a Match rifle would just do fine (500m walk after offroading with my new Subaru Forester Diesel).

Depends whether you want a "match" gun that goes for a hunt once a year or a "hunting rifle" that is good at the range..
I want a very precise hunting rifle, which is good for long range fun, I guess. But if I knew, it were much easyier.

At what distance are you taking game?
30-150m usually. Most often 40-60m. But I want to shoot 300+ at the range without overheating the barrel with each shot.

Moloch

I want a very precise hunting rifle, which is good for long range fun, I guess. But if I knew, it were much easyier.

You need a Steyr Pro Hunter HB, the name already tells you what this rifle is good for, hunting! But you also want an accurate rifle just for shooting from the bench, so you need a heavy match grade barrel. The Steyr Pro Hunter Heavy Barrel!

Save the extra $$ you would pay for the Elite or the SSG and buy a deluxe scope instead and you are good to go hunting & shooting extra small groups. :D

The Pro Hunter HB is VERY accurate, even with the worst ammo it still shoots MOA, and I've seen incredible groups even from the thin barreled standart Pro Hunter.

This is IMO a no-brainer!

Para Bellum

:(
Unfortunately I have bad news for Steyr. :(
'been to my dealer today. I have small hands and the Steyr SBS plastic stocks don't work for me. Their pistol-grip ist too flat. The wooden stocks of the SBS rifles are fine, steeper pistol grip. Also the SSG69 plastic stock is fine, but
- The SSG69 has an outdated safety (no firing pin safety), and
- The wooden Steyr SBS "Classic" rifles are not availiable with heavy barrels (stock is too thin).

But the Mauser 03 Extreme "Jagdmatch" fit me like tailormade. That's gonna be my pick I guess. Pitty, being Austrian I'd love to have bought a Steyr...