Which spare springs should I order?

Carmady

I'm going to order two mainsprings (gun wouldn't fire in DA), and need to buy two or three more parts to have enough for a minimum order.

What else would likely need replacement soon? Ejector rod spring, firing pin, FP spring, something else?

It's a Charter Arms revolver.

g.willikers

The only sure way to not need a spare part is to have it already on hand.
So it would be best to have them all.
Murphy rules.

lee n. field

I'm going to order two mainsprings (gun wouldn't fire in DA), and need to buy two or three more parts to have enough for a minimum order.

What else would likely need replacement soon? Ejector rod spring, firing pin, FP spring, something else?

It's a Charter Arms revolver

Charter has a minimum order? Order out the DAO hammer.

pilpens

I would guess: the hand, cylinder stop, hammer spring trigger spring.
..... but needing them may take many many rounds (depending on how you use your revolver); It maybe be better to spend on cleaning supplies.
========
I wonder if spring you are replacing was out of spec to start with and weakened more with use.

Carmady

I ordered two mainsprings, one ejector rod return spring, and one ejector rod lock spring.

If the new mainspring doesn't make it fire in DA, I'll try the DAO hammer. :D

Dan-O

I would have shipped the gun back to them on their dime....not sure why you're paying for springs that that they should be sending you for free.

Carmady

"I would have shipped the gun back to them on their dime....not sure why you're paying for springs that that they should be sending you for free."

They have no obligation to send me free springs or anything else, and I have no idea what causes you to think they do.

Dan-O

They have excellent customer service. Did you call them and tell them that your gun isn't igniting primers? I had the same issue with one of my charters a few years back and they wanted the gun back. They paid shipping both ways.

Now that I know they are willing to do that, and I know how to fix guns, it is cheaper for them to send you the springs.

But if you enjoy buying springs you'll never use...knock yourself out.

Carmady

The gun is about 45 years old, and I've had it a couple/few weeks. I said nothing to imply it was still under warranty.

Ime, they wouldn't pay for it to be shipped to them, and I wouldn't ask them.

lee n. field

The gun is about 45 years old, and I've had it a couple/few weeks. I said nothing to imply it was still under warranty.

Ime, they wouldn't pay for it to be shipped to them, and I wouldn't ask them.

My understanding from something I heard in a podcast where Charter's president was interviews is, that they charge to repair the older guns (that predate the current incarnation of the company), and after that they are covered by Charter's warranty.

Which gun? I have a small pile of Charter Undercover parts that I picked up from somewhere when I had mine. These are older (steel grip frame, bobbed hammer). PM me if interested. They need a home.

Carmady

"My understanding from something I heard in a podcast where Charter's president was interviews is, that they charge to repair the older guns (that predate the current incarnation of the company), and after that they are covered by Charter's warranty."

That's right, it's mentioned in their FAQ's. You pay to ship it to them, they'll repair it and ship it back to you for $49.95 + the price of the parts. The $49.95 covers all labor and return shipping.

So it would cost me $53.95 ($4 for the spring, if that's all it needs) to Charter Arms, plus the hassle and expense of shipping through FedEx. Iow, about $75 plus the packing and trip to FedEx. I did this with another gun earlier this year, and that's how it went.

Or I could do something stupid like order at least $15 ($16, 4 x $4) of parts and pay $8 shipping. $24 vs $75+.

Bob Wright

Having spare parts on hand means your downtime is maybe an hour or so, whereas if the gun is returned to the factory, downtime is weeks. Plus the inconvenience of shipping and return.

And parts from Brownell's or Numrich have no minimum order.

Bob Wright

Carmady

The springs arrived, and I replaced the mainspring. Two FTF's out of three cylinders (18 rounds). A big improvement.

The old and new springs were just about the same length when relaxed, but the old one compressed more under the same weight, so I'd guess it had weakened over time and use.