Which single lever action would you want ....

TNT

OF all lever actions ever made which one would you want to have the most myself well how about the one that Abe was given that sits in the Smithsonian Institution. The Henry serial #6

Hank's Dad

Winchester Model 1895 in .30-06 Springfield. Had one once in .270 Win. Like an idiot, sold it when I needed some cash.

Would love to have a set; one ingraved and pretty for presentation, a matching one but in "field grade" for shooting, hunting, and fun.

rem33

TNT

I would love to own the one you mention, but I would probably sell it because of all the fine guns I would like to shoot it would buy me.
To keep I kinda like the Model 94 I have as it was made the year I was born. I have been looking for a Marlin 39 made the same year. Someday maybe.

Scorch

I'm with rem33 on this one, I like to shoot my guns. I have always wanted a Winchester 64 lever action rifle with the pistol grip and half length mag, either in 30-30 or 32 Win Special. Don't ask why, I just always have wanted one. Had a chance one time to pick one up in 25-35, but I passed on it. Maybe someday.
That, or a Winchester 1895 in 405. Big medicine stick.

Dfariswheel

How about the Winchester 1866 made for presentation to General Grant?? that was made with a solid California-mined pure silver receiver?

gak

Agreeing with another poster, I have - and would be on the list - a Pre 64 Win 94 in .30-30 of my birth year. Otherwise, what I don't have:
  1. An as-new/original Win 92 (1892) 20" saddle ring carbine (SRC) in .44-40, circa the latest they made it with the original 73/92 carbine style ladder rear sight/front post sight combination available. (later years 20s and 30s -they seemed to start making the later/now more modern front sight and rear semi-buck--per later 94s--on many of them)
  2. Winchester 1886 SRC-22"-.45-70--in original/as new or ex. cond. form or in later/relatively recent limited production Browning form--would be just about as pleased.
I flip-flop on these two "every other day" when I think of this same poll :)

Btw, though sadly (as it's one of the best of 'em) a pretty much defunct round now except perhaps among the Thompson Contender crowd, the 7x30 Waters Win 94 XTR 24" "carbine" (round barrel/regular barrel bands) c. 1980s/early 90s (?) is one of nicest levers I've ever seen/handled/shot. A friend has two of them; I'm trying to get him to part with one!

boltgun71

Winchester 71 Deluxe...

Full size version with factory mounted Lyman peep sight. Just to expensive for me right now. But I am perfectly content with my Pre-64 model 94 in .32 Special, had to get one of those for myself after growing up shooting my grandfathers. Bought the first one I found after graduating basic training.

Gotta admit... I'm in the croud that would rather shoot em than hang em...

but I could see a "yellow boy" hanging over the mantel...

of the shooters I love my 45-70 Marlin, & my 50 AE converted 44 mag Marlin

... I think I'd like one of those new 410's too:)

mikel_holt

The Winchester '73 in .32-20...

that a friend of mine inherited from his dad. It's like new. And I don't even particularly care for lever guns.

Jack O'Conner

I'd go for a 95 Winchester chambered for the obsolete 35 Winchester cartridge. It is said to produce same velocity with 225 grain bullet as the ever popular 35 Remington does with a 200 grain bullet. Whether an advantage or not is unknown to me. I just want one. All the 95's in this chambering I've handled were in heavy-use (poor) condition.
Jack

M14fan

Winchester Trapper

Large loop Centennial edition Winchester Trapper .44 mag. Saw a comment about conversions. Does anyone do .445 Super Mag conversions on leverguns?

gordo b.

Well TR's .405 Winchester model 95 of course! Maybe as a second gun one of Elmer Keiths' 1886 Winchesters.Then maybe Billy the Kid's Burgess.:D

skeeter1

Why only one?

How about a Marlin 39 and a Marlin 1894 for bigger stuff. I wouldn't rule out a 336 in .30-30 or maybe even a .444 in the future. It's just so much cheaper to shoot the smaller ones, and the .357 Magnum will probably take down a bear, certainly a two-legged varmint.