Which Sig to Buy, and where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mic007tfp

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am going to sell my beretta 92fs and am thinking about "upgrading" to a Sig. I really like the 9mm round, and am going to use the gun primarily for target shooting. Should I go 226, 228, 229, or 239 for accuracy? And also, where can I find a good price for a new Sig on the web from a reliable dealer? Thanks!

------------------
Well I'ma mushroom cloud laying motherf**ker, motherf**ker, everytime I touch brain guts i'm superfly TNT!

- Jules

Tom B

I found my 228 to be as accurate as my 226 was. It's the only Sig I have left but it will be a "keeper."

Mal H

Staff
007, This is a little advice about the future. When I was a student (long, long, ago), I was in perhaps the same situation you're in. But, it was usually which revolver do I want to trade in for my next toy. However, I had a Browning HP that I eventually traded during senior year. When I look back on that, I'd give almost anything, within reason, to get that one back. So you have to make a decision now, that is, in about 30 years will you look back and say "I sure wish I had kept that old Beretta"? Certainly go for the SIG, but even if it takes a few more months, are you sure you want to get rid of the Beretta?

Trevor

First, in terms of quality, Beretta, SIG, H&K, and Glock are all well-made, so I would not look down my nose at any of them.

The main reasons, in my view, for going from the Beretta to the SIG would be the way one or the other fits your hand and which operating system you prefer. Many shooters think the SIG system, with its decocker on the frame, provides a more natural way to control the pistol. In contrast, the Beretta, with its slide-mounted safety, provides for a more conventional operation. The choice is yours.

As for which SIG, I would look first for a 228. Next would be a 220 in any caliber in which this model has been made. Finally, I would look at a 239 because it is best for your CCW permit.

They are all tempting choices, but the 228, like the 19 in the Glock line, is a good all-around choice in 9mm that will serve you well in as many different situations as possible.

[This message has been edited by Trevor (edited May 26, 1999).]

The 220, 225, 226, 228 or 229 would make a great choice for you. It all depends on your preference for a large or small frame gun. Most come with the black or upgraded K-kote finish, but Kessler's Wholesale (1-888-543-7537) will occasionally take a batch of SIG's from the factory & nickel plate them for retail sale. Contact B.G. Kaya at greatguns.net for more info. I recently bought a nickel 220 (.45) & a nickel 229 (.40) from him & both nickel plated SIGs are absolutely beautiful.

My personal choice for a concealed carry gun would be a .40 S&W 229 (black) with a 12 round mag.

BTW, keep the Baretta because it's also a good gun. Just save up for the SIG.

Check out GunsAmerica.com for a list of new & used SIGs for sale. Make sure you get the 3 day inspection & return policy if you do buy something from GA.com. Best of luck.

Destructo6

If you're a cheap skate like me, you could buy a South African TZ-99 (9mm) for about $250(with 2 15-rnd magazines) and get some spare mags for $19.95. The TZ-99 is very similar to the SIG.

If you must have the SIG, I would suggest the P-226 in 9mm or better yet, in .40 S&W/.357 SIG.

jimmy

They're all good pistols, but my far-and-away favorite is the P228. For me, it's grip is the most comfortable of any pistol I've ever encountered. Accuracy is about as good as it gets in a service sidearm.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited May 27, 1999).]

joegerardi

I would strongly recommend the P228 The grip is probably (IMHO) the best of all of them, and it still has the older slide. the 229 is almost the same, but with the SS slide, some say the balance is a little off. If you carry CCW it is compact enough, and if you don't it's still accurate enough.
I would recommend Precision Armory. Mike is a SIG nut like the rest of us, and offers great prices. His web address is:
http://www.precisionarmory.com

blades67

mic007tfp - Try all the Sig's on and see wich one you like. I have carried both a P226 and a P228 and have found both to be accurate and 100% reliable. My best friend's brother found the P225 to be the best fit for him and his wife. The P225 is slightly more concealable than the P228 because the frame is narrower. The P225 takes an eight round single stack magazine, whereas the P228 has 13 round staggered magazine.
I agree with Mal H, hang on to that Beretta 92fs unless you REALLY don't like it. I still miss a S&W 4516-1 I traded for a Sig P229.

~Blades~

[This message has been edited by blades67 (edited June 26, 1999).]

Mike Spight

mic007tfp: I concur...for accuracy and target shooting, your best bet in a 9mm would be the 226 or 228. Both are accurate and reliable. BTW, nice little ditty at the end of your post...original or off some rap cd?
Mike

mic007tfp

Thanks all for the great advice. I do think it would be wise to stick with my Beretta as many of you have suggested. The only reason why I was considering selling it because I'm a poor college student and Sigs don't come cheap. However I will save up my money and get a 226 or 228 somewhere down the line. Oh and btw, my signature is a quote from Pulp Fiction (Go Rent it Today!), and is done by one of my fav. actors, Samuel L Jackson.

Walt Sherrill

To Destructo6

I've read -- Gun Tests? -- that while the TZ looks like a Sig, internally it is really a CZ design.

That's not to say that the TZ isn't a good gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.