Which short, light 308 win bolt action is best?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
What do you plan on doing? Your notion of the Model 7 indicates hunting, and possibly going a fair distance on foot while after Bambi or a bugling critter.

"Best" is a function of purpose or intent in your use of a rifle...

Any rifle built on the 700 action is inherently good, and many are superb.

:), Art

M700

Have to agree with 4V50 Gary.....the LTR is a great gun. Adjustable trigger too. (Shh! dont tell Remington :) )

Legionnaire

Much as I dislike the "which is best?" question (it depends on application, personal preference, etc.), I'll comment on the Model 7.

I have and like the Model 7 in .308. I purchased mine primarily for hunting. It's light and maneuverable for use in eastern hardwoods, and I've found it accurate enough for its application, regularly grouping under 2" at 100 yards from field positions. Could probably do better if I took the time to find the ammo it likes best; just haven't felt the need to do so. Mine sports a Leupold VX-II 2-7x compact scope, which is also adequate to the job. I've been very happy with the package.

Last edited:

BigG

Steyr Mannlicher Model L - a full stocked mountain carbine that weighs about 5 lbs. Scary accurate, with a set trigger and detachable box magazine.