Which Setup to use??

defjon

I'm in a bit of a bind trying to choose between a couple of setups. I need a primary defense pistol: this would be a full sized model, for longer up to medium distances, basically a full size duty pistol for range use and home defense. In addition to this weapon, I'd like a smaller BUG. Something pocket sized or the like...

In this respect, I figure that a smaller gun that could share ammunition with my full sized pistol would be a plus here, if only from a monetary standpoint! :D

I don't want to bother with FFL transfers or internet brokering, I don't know anywhere to do it and I would really want to inspect the gun myself before investing hundreds into it and possibly risking disappointment. Without further adu these are the two setup options I've been thinking of:

Set-up 1:

Main Gun:
Ruger P-95 (9mm)
- Good, solid workhorse gun. Good size, durable. Cheap ammo. Promags for 28.00 (15rds).

BUG:
Kel-Tec P11
- Also 9mm, so can share ammunition with the ruger, mags are of similar price.

Set-up 2:

Main Gun:
SW-66
- Great gun, can get speed loaders pretty cheap. nice 357/38spl versatility.

BUG:
?
Probably a J-frame, or clone...possibly a Rossi 38, or taurus...able to share ammo with the Smith.

The problem is, I don't know which set up to go with! In my experience, I'm a better shot with semi autos, but I love the theory of wheelguns (eg, their simplicity and ability to use even without any mags.)

I think the cheaper route is actually to go with the 66 as my primary gun, and find a snubby for 2-300$.

Also thrown in the mix, I've found a Bersa Thunder for 199 which is VERY appealing, and a Mak for the same price. Problem is they couldnt' share ammo with the ruger or the smith. I don't know which way to go here!

I keep going back and forth between the pros and cons, and adding up costs etc...when you factor in that I'd like to have between 3-5 mags for the semi's, it starts getting pretty pricey. I also have my qualms about the Kel-Tec...i've heard GREAT things, but I have also heard a lot of not so great things. I could probably quite easily train myself to shot the revolvers just as good as I can any semi, as I've got a sort of natural skill with a handgun (not so much with long guns sadly).

Well, I've gone over pros and cons in my head a billion times whilst zoning out during lectures or work :D So I am interested in all of your inputs! Maybe someone can shed some light to help me figure out the best set up.

I'll be purchasing one or the other around mid-June, so no rush!

Thanks

Jon

Grayfox

Personally, I'd go with the wheelguns. Simple is always better. Besides, I never have cared much for the Ruger autos. But, that's just my personal preference.

I do have to admit that with ammo cost a consideration, surplus 9mm can be had cheap.

defjon

so that is one vote towards the wheelie's camp..

True the factory 9mm is EXTREMELY cheap, but then, it'd have to be loaded into mags and I comprised these two setups on a very tight budget scale of 3-4 hundred and 2-3 hundred for primary and BUG, respectively.

guess I could always get the model 66, and the NIB Bersa for 199.00 with a couple mags. Probably would still be cheaper than a snubby, just couldn't share ammo...which might add up over a few months.ah, decisions :D

thanks for the response!

-Jon

BillCA

Defjon,

Why not look around at used .357 K-frames- models 13, 19, 65, 66 for a good deal? For a "long range" gun, the 19 comes with a 6" barrel though many folks like the 4" which can shoot .357 well out to 50 yards (with practice). For a BUG, you could go with a J-frame (and I must admit to being a recent convert to J's), but you can also look at 2"-3" K-frame .38 specials - Models 10,15,64 & 65 for a solid carry/BUG match.

The matched K-frames will use the same speedloaders, same ammo (.38) and same leather if the bottom is open.

I can understand the concept of same-ammo for both guns, especially when carrying. With that said, I've carried a 2" .38 in a shoulder holster with 1 speedloader as a backup to a 1911A1 on the hip. Or carried a .41 Mag on the hip and used a single-stack 9mm as a BUG. For a primary gun I want it to be full with 2 reloads available. The BUG only needs one reload. For a wheel/auto combo, that's 2 speedloaders max and 3 magazines max.

Jkwas

I like the 9mm setup you talked about. I have a 357 snub and a 9mm P89.
It would be nice to have one type of ammo. There are soo many ammo choices in 9mm, and so little in 357 and 38, not to mention the price, especially if the range makes you buy their ammo. :rolleyes:

Majic

There are soo many ammo choices in 9mm, and so little in 357 and 38,
Where have you been shopping? You can buy ammo in bullet weights from 110 gr to 158 gr for both cartidges, plus 180 grainers for the .357mag. The magnum can be had in medium and full power loads. The .38sp can range in power from target loads, standard pressure loads, thru +P loads.

gb_in_ga

Majic:

Quite right.

Not to mention the variety of bullet designs that are just not practical in 9mm's. Wadcutters? Semi Wadcutters? Ya gotta remember that feeding problems just don't happen with revolvers, so bullet shape is not an issue like with autoloaders. And to a certain extent, bullet length isn't an issue, either -- as long as it isn't so long as to interfere with the forcing cone. (nitpick -- you can get 100 gr .38 spl WC's, I've got some myself -- ultra light target stuff). Oh my, let's see if there is anything like a 180 gr Nosler Partition factory load in a 9mm? Hah! Fat chance! In .357mag? Sure, No Problem! I somehow fail to see out there any 9mm "Deer Stomper" loads like I have for my .357 Mag.

In reality there is no comparison between the variety of ammo for .38spl/.357mag and 9mm. None at all. The revolvers win that one hands down. Now, if we were talking about the price of practice ammo, that's another matter, and even then you can get mighty cheap .38 spl ammo if you know where to look for it.

gb_in_ga

"guess I could always get the model 66, and the NIB Bersa for 199.00 with a couple mags."

That's the route that I took, and I'm happy with it. Well, I got a 686 instead of a 66, but close enough.

Jkwas

I was under the impression.....

that this person wanted self defense weapons. Not hunting guns. Expanding ammo seems to be the thing for that, there are plenty of good 9mm expanding rounds that will do the job . :rolleyes:

Unique 5.7

Why not go with a 9mm snubby as a BUG, especially since it is for personal defense? The HUGE advantage to a 9mm or other auto round would be the moon clips that allow much faster and more reliable reloading under high stress conditions. I think trusting a speedloader when there are other, much better options out there is foolish.

buzz meeks

There must be lots of foolish people out there, Unique 5.7, because the speedloader, especially the HKS, was and is highly regarded for its flawless function. Moon clips bend and I still haven't seen a good way to carry them concealed. They also make a tactical reload impossible. Not that it's relevant to a combat scenario, but have you ever tried to demoon rounds with cold fingers? Give me an HKS or a Bianchi speedstrip any day.

gb_in_ga

"...Expanding ammo seems to be the thing for that, there are plenty of good 9mm expanding rounds that will do the job ."

So true, but the same thing can also be said of .38spl/.357mag. The problem with the 9mm is that is comparatively a "1 trick pony", it is adequate for SD and has cheap practice ammo available, it is pretty good for range work. .38spl/.357mag also covers those bases, but covers more bases as well, all with the same gun. Hence, the revolver is more versatile. With my .357mag I can cover the "main gun" SD role, it is one of the most effective rounds/weapons available for that role. But it isn't limited to that role. I can use it for field work/hunting also -- and quite effectively. The 9mm's really don't have the muscle for that.

Jkwas

I like having both, and I do....

but if I had to choose between the two, I like shooting the auto better. But I think it's hard to beat the 357 snub as a carry gun, and you really don't have to shoot it every time you go to the range, just enough to stay in practice. Then take the one you prefer to the range. Variety is nice. It's just a matter of preference. :)

Unique 5.7

Buzz - I'm a big Ellroy fan, too, have read & own all the books. "White Jazz" is my favourite. Craaaazy.
Nice post. I've seen too many people jam their speedloaders under low stress conditions at firing ranges, I wouldn't trust them under stressful conditions when the fine motor skills go out the window. Speed strips are great, too. As far as a tactical reload, I'd just as soon change a whole moon clip than individually load up 2 or 3 rounds, it could take less time. The HKS can have flawless function, but it is still more complicated for people to use, especially under a stressful condition.
I'm more of a semi-auto guy anyway. Just dump the mag and slap another in.

Sturm&Rugerfan

my setup

I have a dan wesson 15-2 monson 357mag revolver pistol pack 2.5,4,6,8 barrels I need to pick up some carry options and a hougue monogrip either rubber or nylon and some hks speed loaders