which scope rings ?

rebs

Are the weaver or Leupold aluminum rings any good ? The weaver have 4 screws holding a double cap and the Leupold only has two screws with one piece cap, does it matter ?

NoSecondBest

What are you putting them on? For heavy recoiling rifles I'd use steel. For light or medium recoiling rifles take your pick.

jmr40

I've been using Talley Lightweights on everything for many years now. They are actually stronger than most steel mounts since the lower ring and base are made together. One less thing to go wrong. They are lightweight, reasonably priced, and easy to mount compared to many others. Lots of folks use them on big guns with no problems.

The only issues are when a muscle bound wrench turner over tightens them. I've seen a few guys manage to break the ring doing that. But I've never known of any issues if they are mounted right.

If you're talking about the Weaver 4X4 rings commonly sold at Walmart, they are very functional for the money. I'd trust them on anything. They are a little more complex and harder to mount than the Talley's. And they don't look as good, but they do work.

std7mag

I used to use the Weaver and Leupold rings. Not anymore.
To save weight on hunting rifles i use Vortex Viper rings.
For range rifles where weight isn't an issue i use Warne.

Nathan

Are the weaver or Leupold aluminum rings any good ? The weaver have 4 screws holding a double cap and the Leupold only has two screws with one piece cap, does it matter ?

No, but often times they will be serviceable.....I often wonder though how many hunts are ruined by cheap rings, no torque wrench and no lapping(when req’d)....

Warne, Talley, there are many other good rings....I like TPS. I also have been known to use a lapped Ruger ring...it is literally the lowest I will use.

pricedo

Warne, Leupold, Burris (usually QDs) are the only bases/mounts/rings you'll find on my cf rifles.
Proven quality and dependability over the years.
Some Ruger and Weaver bases/mounts/rings on the .22LRs.

RC20

I like Warne steel rings. Hunted with streel rings as well. I have to laugh, a Ruger M77 weight maybe 8-9 lbs with scope, rings and loaded. This light rifle stuff......... hmmm

I will use Leopold if Warned does not make them (Sako)

I know aluminum is solid in the type they use, I just like the feel of steel a lot better.

Don Fischer

It's great! People spending a lot of money on scope rings telling people that didn't that their rings are a POS! Love it. how do you tell people who's rings are still working ten and fifteen years down the road, their rings suck? I'm sorry, dumb question. Pure luck! :)

Nathan

People spending a lot of money on scope rings telling people that didn't that their rings are a POS! Love it. how do you tell people who's rings are still working ten and fifteen years down the road, their rings suck?

Easy. If you shoot the same load for 15 years and have to zero your scope annually, which is the pos, the rings or the scope. Check torque on the rings and you can answer your own question....