Which Ring Height????

rugerfreak

I put a Marlin 882SS .22 mag. on lay-a-way at Wal-mart the other day and have pretty much decided to put a Leupold Vari-X II 3X9X40 on it. Part of the reason for use this scope is that I could use it on a deer rifle in a pinch. Anyway---I want to use either the Burris or Leupold steel tip-off rings-----And the question is which ring height do I need to use with this scope?? low---medium----or high???

WiFAL

I think mediums are recommended for scopes up to 44 mm. Last time I bought rings I got low and medium then returned the ones that weren't right.

rugerfreak

The reason I'm asking is: I have called both Burris and Leupold and neither of their reps could really give a firm answer. I want to keep the scope as low as possible. Some of my other concerns are that unlike a centerfire rifle the Marlin barrel doesn't step down past the chamber so i'm losing clearance there and the Leupold rep mentioned having enough clearance for the bolt handle.

WiFAL

If the bolt rotates enough to hit a scope on low rings it will probably hit a scope on high rings. The reason for differing ring height is to make up for the diameter of the lens, i.e 20 mm lens = low rings, 50mm lens = high rings.

Guyon

If the bolt rotates enough to hit a scope on low rings it will probably hit a scope on high rings.

Not necessarily. I put a 3-9x40 scope on my Rem 700. With low rings, the bolt handle barely brushed the scope. With medium rings, clearance was no problem.

I suspect the model of gun and the type of scope make a difference, as well as where you set your eye relief on the scope. Try low; if they don't work, exchange them for medium.