Which rimfire?

Rob96

I am looking to get a rimfire rifle for small game up to and including fox. Which rimfire would serve me better, 17hmr or the 22 WMR?

NWCP

I have both .17HMR and .22WMR rifles. I'd go with the .22WMR and keep my shots at 100-125 yards. With the new ballistic tip ammo both of my .22WMRs perform very well. I just think the .17HMR is a bit light for fox and the damage it can cause might ruin the pelt. Perhaps the .17HMR in a hollow point 20gr round might do better, but both of my .17HMRs are far more accurate using the 17gr Hornady pills. The .22WMR will give you a heavier projectile wichh can make a difference on game larger than rabbit, or squirrel. I realize there are guys out there hunting animals larger than fox with the .17. I prefer to not take the chance of wounding the animal rather than dropping it quickly. Besides, that's why we have more than caliber in our gun safes.

22-rimfire

I'd also choose the 22WMR if you are shooting that large a critter. Then shoot the smaller stuff with a 22LR. The 22LR will work also as long as you are relatively close (under 75 yds). If coyotes are in the plan, then definitely 22WMR.

Added: If you are shooting woodchucks, I'd definitely use the 22WMR. A 22LR works, but you need to make head shots or the chuck will likely get back in its burrow. They are pretty tough little animals.

Last edited:

CraigC

While I've killed the hell out of foxes, coyotes and feral cats with the .17HMR, I prefer the .22Mag under 150yds for those critters. I reserve the .17 for longer range and/or smaller game.

mikejonestkd

in my limited experience with probably a dozen .22mags and 6 or so .17HMr's I have come to two conclusions;

1. .22 mag hits 'em harder at normal ranges ( 0- 125 yards )

2. some .17hmrs are scary accurate!!

for hunting/ varmints the .22mag would be my first choice for a rimfire cartridge, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with a .17hmr