Which rifle? What do you think about?

mparris71

Hi,
I have been reading and looking at target / varmint style rifle lately, The Remington 700P is my first choice but they seem to be hard to come by. First question is what is the going price on the 700P/PSS in .308. I looked at the 700VS but hate the color of the stock “WEB” looks like my counter tops. I have also looked at the Browning A-bolt M-1000 Eclipse in 300-win mag. anybody have any experience with this rifle? Is the Boss really what it cracked up to be? How about Ruger’s Target Model KM77VT MKII I have only seen it in the Ruger catalog? but it looks alright. I Realize that opinions are like butt holes everybody has’em but let me know what you think.
Thanks
MP

Reaper

You might want to take a look at the Winchester Stealth in 308. It is matte black, semi heavy 26" barrel, Black synthic stock. For around $700.

I had the target Ruger, very heavy and a big chunk of wood. It shot well.
Remington is a great rifle, but like you said, expensive and hard to find. I don't know about the Browning.

Sundance

What does anybody know about the Winchester Model 70 Coyote? How does it stack up as a Varmit/Target/Precision/Sniper rifle when compared to the heavier versions like the Winchester Model 70 Stealth and the Remington 700 PSS? It is a little bit lighter and trimmer, but it is still considerably heavier than a typical sporter type rifle.

Mikey

I just sent the FFL and funds (less than $700 including shipping) for an LTR and the same dealer had the P (PSS) in 308 and I believe 300 for the same money. If you are interested I can e-mail the name and number. You can give them a call.

Mike

landshark

I was looking for a Varmint .223 rifle as well. Any feedback on Remmington VLS or VS, Winchester 70 coyote or Ruger Km77VT. This will be my first rifle so any help would be great. With my handguns I was able to rent different kinds at the range to see what they are like. This feels like a guess, I only plan shooting targets at the range.

Archie

I have a couple Remington 700s.

Both VLS. One in .22-250 and t'other in .308 Win.

Both shoot like a house afire. The .22-250 does about .4xx and the .308 is in the .5xx range. You do have to diddle the trigger. Not hard and instructions are available on the web.

What ever you get, spend good money on a scope. If you have a $700 rifle and a $89 scope, guess which is the limiting factor?

Reaper

I have the Winchester mo 70 coyote in 223 and I love it. I have a Leupold VX-2 3x9 with a Harris bi-pod on it. Very accurate! the only thing I didn't like was the 9# trigger pull.Good thing it has a ajustable trigger, had it set to 3# now its great...I paid $550 new for just the rifle.

Now am trying to save for the Stealth in 308.

landshark

Had to make a decision so I just went down and bought a Winchester Mod 70 Stealth in 22-250. I will have to wait ten days before I can let you know how well it shoots.

629 shooter

Have owned the 700 VS in .308. Rifle was not picky on loads - shot nearly everything well - even the factory loads I tried. Groups around the half inch range for 5 shots at 100 yards were easily obtained - sometimes even less. But I have to admit that I used the Sierra and Hornady 168 match bullets for most of my loads.

Currently own a 700 VLS in .223. Originally was going to buy a Ruger MKII Target Rifle but the gun shop owner talked me into choosing the Remington. The first groups I fired were dismal to say the least! Remington makes no attempt at free floating the barrel on their VLS - this is a mystery to me. After much sanding I finally managed to free float the barrel and the very next time out the gun stated to show what it was capable of! The trigger pull was not to my liking at all and I eventually had a Jewell trigger installed which eliminated all my trigger pull woes for good. The best accuracy was obtained using Berger 52 gr. match bullets - although a fairly expensive bullet - still the best 100 yard groups I have ever fired with any of the rifles I have owned. I have not had the same degree of luck with any of my other .223 loads.

I agree with Archie's comments on scope selection - buy a decent scope! My original scope on the .223 was a 12X Burris and I replaced it with a Leupold 6.5 - 20X.

Reaper

Landshark I think you made a good choice. You might check the trigger before you leave the store, if they have a smith there to lighten it up a bit. If it needs it (mine did) any smith will do it for $10.

Lets us know how it shoots for ya, and congratulations! ;)

klh8

Well,here I am,standing on the savage soap box again.I don't even own one but my buddy recently bought a mod.112 varminter.He saved a lot of money and it shoots just as good as my 700vs.

Watch-Six

I have owned two Remington 700PSS rifles. They were both excellent. My local dealer has a few on the shelf for something under $700. I still have the 223. I stupidly sold the 308 to get a high dollar sniper rifle. The new rifle is a little better, but I should have saved for a while and had them both. Watch-Six

orlando5

You’re better off getting the Rem 700P through your local gun shop. If I did this in the first place I would have save myself a lot of trouble. I went everywhere to find this rifle without any luck. Then suddenly I got smart and decided to go to my favorite gun shop and have them special order for me new. They got the rifle new in box within a week. I pay $625 for it.