Which Redhawk?

9ballbilly

I want to add a Redhawk to my revolvers this year. This gun will be for casual range trips and occasionally brought along on a hiking or camping trip, nothing more serious. I've narrowed it down to two. Either the 5.5" .44mag or the 4" .45colt/.45acp.

I reload so ammunition cost isn't an issue. Both guns would serve my purpose well and I don't favor one caliber over the other to any degree.

So I'm asking, which would you choose and why, in the hope that someone will mention something that helps me get off the fence one way or the other.

cmdc

I have the 5.5" 44 and like it a lot, but I think you would be well served with the 4" .45. It would be a little more packable and since you reload, it would be very versatile.

TruthTellers

I'd get the 7.5" in .44 Magnum.

The .45 Colt/ACP is very nice, the DA trigger smooths out great after a few hundred trigger pulls. The only thing I don't like is that the round butt grip isn't easy to get replacement grips for. The overwhelming majority of Redhawk grips are for the traditional Redhawks.

Basically, if you want other grips for it, you're SOL. Not an issue with the .44's.

T. O'Heir

A Redhawk would be Super and in .44. A .45 Colt would be a Vaquero. Difference is big bullets going fast or big bullets going slow. Either will do nicely, so toss a coin. Unless you haven't fondled 'em. If not do so and one or the other will speak to you.
"...the DA trigger smooths out great after a..." Trigger job. Any 'smoothing' from repeatedly dry firing is parts wear.
Grips are more about how much money you want to spend. Start at about $100 for "genuine" rosewood.

cmdc

Not exactly the same thing but I have a Blackhawk 5.5" .45Colt/.45ACP convertible,and it is a hoot to shoot with the ACP cylinder. It came with the plow handle grips but I had a gunsmith put Bisley grips on it, and it is much more pleasant to shoot with stout .45 Colt loads.

Model12Win

Get the new 45ACP 45C convetable model with mooners. Run buff bore 45C for dangerous game and 45ACP in mooners for defense work.

dgludwig

I'd get the 7.5" in .44 Magnum.

My pick too. I think the .44 Magnum is a more versatile cartridge (especially when you factor in the accommodating .44 Special) and I believe it benefits enough ballistically from the extra two to three inches of barrel length to justify the slightly greater weight and unwieldiness.

Jbotto

I've always had a thing for the standard half-lug 5.5" barreled .44 mag. Never shot one, as I haven't found anyone around me or any of the rental ranges that have one for me to try. That's my vote so I can live vicariously through you!

Master Blaster

The .44 mag is designed for higher power level full house .44 mag. It also shoots powder puff cowboy action loads well. I have the 7.5" model. Although you can load Ruger only loads in the .45 colt model Ruger will tell you it is not designed for those loads. So if you plan on shooting lots of full power .44 mag level rounds get the .44 mag.

Do you already load .44 magnum, or .45 Colt / .45 acp? if so that may be a factor in your decision.

BBarn

Keep in mind that 44 Mag and 45 Colt Redhawks with 4.2 inch barrels are also offered. But I believe both of those have the regular square butt frames.

I personally don't care for the thin extractor used on the 45 ACP/Colt combo model. I would probably go with something shorter than 5.5 inches for extended carry. I have a 5.5 inch 44 but don't carry it.

drive_sideways

Personally would go with 45. The 45 colt can be loaded up just as fast and powerful as a hot 44 magnum load. And where I live 45 colt and acp ammo is far easier to get your hands on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reloadron

I have the Redhawk in Stainless with the 5.5" barrel .45 Colt and it is one of my most enjoyed revolvers. I like both the .44 Remington Magnum and the .45 Colt and load both but my 44 Magnum is a Model 29. The Ruger is a really fine revolver, I like mine a lot.

TraumaRN

I have the 45Colt/45 ACP and appreciate the round grip frame for CC. 45 Colt from mild to wild and 45 ACP readily available plus cheaper to reload 45 ACP than 44 Special or 44 magnums.

smee78

I have a Redhawk in 45C and love it. I perfer a push from a 45 vs the 44 snappy, I know you reload so this is not an issue for you. I would think from the guns you listed the shorter barrel would be easier to carry and clear leather if needed in a hurry.