Which Python? help me decide

Cyberbug

Should have posted it here in the first place - sorry about that

I have decided on getting a Python this week. Thanks to many members here.

What I can't decide is which year manufactured to get.

Should I get a 1970-71 model which looks in great condition or a pre 1960 model which also looks in great shape there is a 10 year difference.

I read that before 1964 all Pythons were completely made by hand.

I also read that Don Tedford was working on the pythons in the Colt Custom shop in the 70s.

decision decision - I have no clue.

can someone help, I can provide further details through email or PM.

regards,

Faisal:confused:

flusher

The earlier one is the better investment.
Make sure it has the correct grips. Gold medallions and FULLY CHECKERED

Cyberbug

Thanks, I will shoot it ,but care for it.
I am just looking for the best built out of the two choices, even though earlier one would be more money.
I can go 1970s or early model.

Last edited:

GUNKWAZY

Congrats on the New/old Colt.
You forgot one thing though... WE LIKE PICTURES right away !!!!
I swear I wrote that before you said pictures to follow.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Cyberbug

Okay here ya go :)

These are from the Seller - I am sure he wont mind since I have already sent him the funds.

It will be a week or so before I get I will do a fresh set.

Attachments

• pix350920203.jpg
    pix350920203.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 95
  • pix351247687.jpg
    pix351247687.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 80
  • pix351248109.jpg
    pix351248109.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 70

Dfariswheel

Very nice early Python.

In case you may not know it, the early style fully checkered grips are worth OVER $200.00 on eBay.
Python factory grips in general and the early style fully checkered in particular, are worth big money these days.
DON'T LOOSE THEM.

Cyberbug

Thank you :) Since you approve, I know I made the right choice.
Its is 98%+ condition. I could have bought a 1957 model or held up for another 1958 with box but I am not a collector. I don't think I did wrong with this one. I am going to do it justice and shoot 10s/Xs with it, thats what it was built for. No safe queen/kings here, Its one short life.

I liked 1958 year - there were only 1500 made that year according to the records on the internet. I also found that prior to 1963 all were made by hand completely, after that some automation took place.

Plus I had already acquired a 1958 Python magazine advertisement :) shows price as $125, I am sure that was a lot of money back then. I got some other memorabilia as well. Should be a fun photo-shoot :)

357 Plato

Congrats Cyberbug. Nice to know that it is not put away in a dark safe. I hope that you will shoot it a lot. Have fun out there :D