Which Powder for 30-30 Win?

ChasHam

I'm going to load up some Sierra cannelured 170 grain FN for plinking with my 70's vintage model Winchester 94-- 20" barrel.

The only powders I have available are W 748, IMR 4895 and H 4895.

Got a favorite powder/charge in there?

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Generally in .30-30 I use IMR 3031. All the powders you list have loads for the .30-30. Pick one, starting load, and follow the usual work up practices and see how it performs.

748 should do well, and meters easily as a ball powder. IMR 4895 is my go to powder for loading milsurps, and will perform well in the .30-30 with the proper load though its a tad slower than optimal.

T. O'Heir

You really need to try all of those powders to determine which one your rifle prefers. Like Amp says, pick one(and only one at a time) and work up the load. Shoot for group only off a solid rest at 100 yards. Adjust the sights after you have the most accurate load.
Note that Hodgdon's site used a 24" barrel for their tests. Only means the velocities will not be the same.
748 gives the highest Max load velocity out of a 24" barrel. It's a whole 7 FPS faster than H4895. Still might be the one to start with.

Pathfinder45

All three of those powders are excellent. The best accuracy wins over most velocity. Sometimes you get lucky and get both in one recipe. If you want the highest velocity within allowable pressure, try BL-C(2) and Leverevolution. Both of those are a lot like W-748, but they just give you a little more at less pressure. When using 4895, I weigh every charge and trickle up for consistency. With the Ball/Spherical powders, I do the same thing if it is a maximum charge or a particular accuracy load; otherwise, if it is a practice/plinking load that is well below maximum, I will use thrown charges and only weigh a representative sample throughout, like every 5th or tenth round. You can't be certain which will give you the best accuracy until you test them all. However, if I'm betting on the ponies, I'll bet on IMR-4895. But you will get acceptable results from all of them.

44 AMP

Staff
Do remember that some .30-30s will only do "minute of deer" even if fed match quality ammo.

Because that's what they are made to do.

reinert

Speer 150 grn. FPs, and Varget. I’ve been using that combo in my 336 for whitetails for the past 3 seasons with excellent results. Tagged a nice whitetail doe just last week ranged @ 112 yds. Bullet passed through both lungs leaving a half dollar sized exit wound. She ran about 30 yds. and gave up the ghost. Very accurate bullet/powder combo in my ol’ Marlin. Good luck finding any Varget these days. Glad I got a bit of it before the run here locally.

birdshot

A bench rest shooter name Michael Turner shot a 30-30 in competition with an average of .16 inches. I'm guessing he did not use a lever action. His load was 38 grains of IMR4320 and a 150 Sierra Match King in Federal brass.

zeke

Am using 748 with standard Fed primers. Mainly because it works so well for a large selection of calibers, usually available and have a lot of it.

Accuracy of 30-30 loads can be significantly increased by paying attention to chamber dimensions of your particular gun vs how far the case is getting resized and bullet seating depth. Especially if you are only reloading for one specific rifle. At least for the era of dies i have , am using Lee sizing dies for levers.

JJ45

I'm going to load up some Sierra cannelured 170 grain FN for plinking with my 70's vintage model Winchester 94-- 20" barrel.

The only powders I have available are W 748, IMR 4895 and H 4895.

Got a favorite powder/charge in there?
Varget works for me and the Sierras

34 grains and the 150
32.5 grains for the 170

In any brass, bullet seated to the crimp groove

Hanshi

I've always had excellent results with 3031. In fact it's my most used rifle powder and is used in three calibers.

2ndtimer

I use Hodgdon’s Leverevolution exclusively in my son’s Winchester Model 94, with 150 gr bullets. I like the Sierras, but also have some Speers and Hornady on hand.