which powder for 223 bolt and AR ?

rebs

Between Varget and reloader 15 which powder is in your experience better for 69 and 77 grain bullets ? Or do you recommend some other powder ?

jetinteriorguy

Both have been good for me, but the nod goes to Varget for the 70+ grain Bullets. In my rifle H4895 has been good for anything from 60-70 grains. Below 60 grains I’ve settled on H335. I have noticed that in my rifles that Varget runs cooler than the other powders I’ve tried. So far in .223 I’ve used Blc2, H335, H4895, Varget, Benchmark, RE15, and IMR4064.

Tallest

I would have to agree with Varget. I use it for 60 grain ballistic tips, 64 grain bonded performance, and I just worked up some loads with 70 grain Accubonds (all No$ler).

In a RAP with 1-8” twist, I have sub MOA capability with all 3, and I have one group of the Accubonds that measured at 0.477”.

I, personally, can’t ask for/expect better! :)

gwpercle

My top picks are Varget and IMR 4895 .
Around here Varget can be hard to find , IMR 4895 is an old standby both are similar in their burn rate.
Gary

P Flados

Unless you have really special needs, WC 844.

Its the Mil Spec version of H335. It is what the US government uses and it just plain works great.

Jeff Bartlett (GIBrass.com) sells it for $99/8lb jug.

Due to Hazmat & shipping I have done a couple of bulk powder orders.

I now have just less than 24 lbs with several hundreds of projectiles down range.

std7mag

I prefer RL15.
But there are many good powders out there.
My best powder is actually Alliant Power Pro 2000

NWPilgrim

Varget keeps knocking off all contenders I tried in the 75-77gr bullets. 8208XBR is very close second and actually gives more velocity at that accuracy. Both can easily outshoot Federal Gold Medal Match 77gr SMK for me.
CFE223, 4895, and BL-C2 are decently accurate as well.

Below that weight H335 and BL-C2 and others can sometimes beat out Varget.

What I like about Varget is it has very small and gradual accuracy nodes, even the worst charge weights still give decent accuracy. Some powders can swing in and out of accuracy by quite a bit as charge weight goes up.

Unfortunately Varget is also a superb powder for Garand loads using 168 gr bullets.

Nathan

Variety always created spilled cases for me. Benchmark was a better choice.

If you want to load progressive, cfe223 is not a bad choice. I can’t say for sure TAC is a winner, but I will be trying next.

std7mag

Hmmm.. Interesting...
Finally found 2 people that like CFE223..
Ok for just blasting off rounds in an AR. Start shooting longer distances for accuracy and it's a different story told by most.

Nathan, let me know how TAC works for you. May try it when i'm through this pound of Win748.

Rimfire5

Here are my results with my Les Baer Super Varmint .223 with 69 and 77 grain bullets.
Beware of making conclusions if the # groups are small.
Also, these are averages for all bullets of the same weight.
Some of the bullets (Sierra TMKs) shoot much more accurately than others.

Code:
5-Rnd Group Avgs. 			
Powder Weight	Avg	# Groups
H4895	69	0.302	3
RL-15	69	0.315	1
CFE223	69	0.404	21
N140    69	0.415	32
Varget	69	0.452	1

CFE223	77	0.370	60
RL-15	77	0.409	13
N140    77	0.413	107
IMR4895	77	0.424	2
H4895	77	0.426	29
Varget	77	0.469	17

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

The powder makes little or no difference. There's no such thing as powder for a bolt action or powder for a semi-auto. You must work up the load for each rifle.
Varget and Reloader 15 are very close in burn rates. Varget is a tick slower being at Number 102 vs #100 for RL-15. Varget is good for full sized cartridges like .30-06 and .308 too. Alliant's site is really limited with RL-15 .30-06 data.

lordmorgul

My only issue with Varget is the stick cut length of the powder seems to meter less consistently in a small volume for 223 than a smaller size powder. I admit I haven’t done any load workup with Varget just bought a small amount for trial. Lots of people love and use it well so it’s not a bad choice just wasn’t mine.

I load Accurate LT-32 for 5.56 (don’t have any guns restricted to 223 pressure, but I probably am loading somewhere between the two). LT-32 has a smaller powder stick size and flows really nicely for consistent volume metering when double checked by weight it’s very repeatable.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

std7mag

How often do you want to take your rifle completely apart, and clean your gas chamber, T.O.???

We have learned alot since Vietnam.

And while accurate i'm sure, there are better choices for the 06' than Varget & RL15.

lordmorgul

How often do you want to take your rifle completely apart, and clean your gas chamber, T.O.???

We have learned alot since Vietnam.

And while accurate i'm sure, there are better choices for the 06' than Varget & RL15.

The average AR owner fired a few hundred rounds before flooding their barrel, gas block, and gas tube with solvent while cleaning far too rigorously. It’s not really anything like the Vietnam situation?

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Stats Shooter

Are you going to throw it or weigh it. If you are going to hand weigh it, varget. If you are you to throw it, try benchmark. it gives just as good of accuracy as varget, but meters better. it wont give the velocity of varget but will only cost you 30- 50 fps

hagar

I found RL15 to shoot better groups at 600 yards than Varget, but they are both excellent powders.

m&p45acp10+1

My first choice is RL15. Next choice is Varget.

Reloader 15 gave slightly better groups in multiple test I have run with my bolt action. Out of my AR with iron sights past 50 yards It does not matter which powder I use. I also like using Hornady 68 grain HPBT Match. I found them to work better for me than 75 grain Sierra. They are a wee bit less expensive as well.