Which pistol loader do you prefer

billcarey

Hey Guys,
I'm new to BP and just bought a ASP 44 New Army...1977 vintage in all steel. I've been reloading centerfire but bp is new to me. I need a loader and see the revolver holder or the plunger type for just the cyl. Which do you prefer?

Thanks,
Bill

zippy13

For the R-1858 New Army, I load the cylinder off the gun. I prefer bullets to balls, and using the cylinder loader I can accommodate bullets without having to enlarging the frame opening. If you peruse the forum, you'll see several active threads on cylinder loader selection.

mykeal

You only gave us two choices - the revolver holding type:
loadingstand1.jpg

or the cylinder type:
cylinderloadingstand.jpg

I prefer the latter, but I actually use the former more often, simply because it folds up and fits in my 'kit' (range) box.

Whatever you do, don't get this one:
A1309_S.jpg

ClemBert

784675.jpg

Pictures004.jpg

I prefer to use the pictured loading stand to hold the revolver while I fill all six chambers with BP and a felt wad on top of the BP. Then I pick up the revolver with my left hand and use my right hand to place a ball on top of each chamber then use the revolver's lever to seat the ball. All six balls are seated only after all six chambers have received their BP and wad. I find this to be the most efficient way to do it with regard to time spent to load.