Which One is Better to Own - .357, .40 or 10mm

stdalire

· Help Me Decide to purchase of which one among of these three to purchase .357, .40, or 10MM.

· I haven’t owned one of this kind.

· I read several gun web, which says why buy .357 when there is already .40 and 10MM in the market.

· Some gun writer said, the .40 was made to overcome the shortcomings of .357

· Others said, .357 is still the most reliable cartridge among these three mentioned caliber, only the cartridge availability is not that much compared to the rest, and .357 is more expensive cartridge.

. Some said, .40 has flaws experienced by the FBI.

· I know that some may advise and say all are good, but I want to choose from these calibers that I may not think to dispose of when I feel that the other one is better.

· I can’t buy all as we are limited to our local laws as to the number of gun we will purchase legally.

Thank you,

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. If by ".357," you mean the revolver round, I would go with it. You could also use .38 Specials should you so desire. While you are "limited" to a revolver except in the case of the very few autos that shoot either the .357 magnum or .38 spec wadcutter, the choice in revolvers is very wide. As noted, you could choose from light wadcutters up to the hottest magnums. I don't believe either of the other two rounds mentioned have this lattitude. Best.

muleshoe

If HD is your objective, then all above will do the trick. If you are limited to the number of guns you can own, is your ammo also limited? If so, I would choose the gun with the most readily available. And stock up! BTW I own a 10mm, it's a nice shooter. Good luck.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

buzz_knox

The .357Sig was designed to give an autoloader the same power as the .357 Magnum (hence the nomenclature of .357 when it's really a 9mm). The .357Sig has greater penetration than the .40 but overall power and effectiveness between the better loads is comparable.

You do know that if you buy a .40 or a .357Sig, you can convert to the other caliber simply by changing the barrel? The .357Sig is based on the .40 and everything but the barrel is interchangeable.

As for the 10mm, if you can control it, it's a great round. Ammo is a little hard to find in places (I don't know about your area) and the weapons aren't the most concealable for the average person. But, you can get a Glock 20 or (if you can find one) a 1911 pattern and then convert it over to .357Sig or .40 by changing the barrels. That may be the best way to go. Get a Glock 29 with two Jarvis barrels.

stdalire

Mr. Stephen: yes I am thinking to buy the Ruger .357 SP's model if I will consider the magnum revolver due to interchangeability of ammo to use as you've mentioned.

If I go with .357 Pistols, there are a lot of choice but the most talked of the town are the Sig's Model.

muleshoe: The 10mm has a good attraction to my taste also and it is at par to my .45 colt as partner. My weakness is, I am attracted to a bigger bullets.
As to the limitations of ammo, in my area, once you have a licensed gun, there is no limit of ammo to purchase. Only guns to own has limitation. So, I must select from these three cartridges either a revolver or Pistol as long as I can get one of these kind of cartridge caliber.

buzz_knox, should I buy .40 or .357 to be interchangeable, then it would be pistol, It is a good idea also. But again, we cannot just buy barrels in the open market (gunstore) just like buying ammo on the counter. If we buy barrels, there is a lot of paper work to be legal.

I think, with all your comments, my choice now is reduced to .357 and 10mm.

Thank you,

bk40

stdalire,

I believe you would be best served by the .357 Magnum. Like Mr Camp noted, your loads can run from the lightest recoiling 38Specials to the hottest full house 125gr JHP .357 Magnum loads.

A good .357Mag revolver, like the Ruger you mentioned, is one of the most versatile handguns you can own. Also, for defensive uses, nothing exceeds the 125gr JHP load in the .357Magnum.

Good Luck!

aztec777

stdalire-As you know, in a revolver chambered for .357 Magnum, .38 Special loads can be fired. The 10mm is, IMO, the most versatile handgun cartridge. It can be loaded from 40 S&W levels all the way up to nearing .41 Magnum levels. That's quite a range. It doesn't sound like you are new to the handgun world and you mention experience with the 1911 platform. I would steer you towards the 10mm. You will hear horror stories about frame failure and high operating pressures. I have an early Colt Delta Elite that I've shot now for over 10 years. I have 13,000 rounds through that gun. Other than finish wear and a new recoil spring, I have never had a problem with this handgun. Always fires, extracts, ejects, and chambers a new round. Compared to a 45 acp you know you're firing a more potent round. It is by no means uncontrollable. I've experienced more recoil and muzzle rise with the compact Glock 27 in 40 S&W. I have not fired the compact Glock 29 as of yet, but I am very interested in getting my hands on one and trying it out. I would expect significant recoil, muzzle blast, and muzzle rise from such a small handgun in 10mm. Ask more questions and go to your local range, if you have the luxury, and rent a revolver in 357 and a Colt Delta Elite and see for yourself. If you're interested in the 40 S&W and .357 Sig you can acquire the barrels to do this. I am not interested in keeping up on so many calibers. Not a bad thing, I just don't have the interest or the room. Well, I hope this helps.

Steve

[This message has been edited by aztec777 (edited February 22, 2000).]

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Mabuhay!

I'm partial to the Ruger in .357; I also thoroughly enjoy my Delta Elite. No matter what you choose, you will be just fine.

Regards, Art

Futo Inu

Depends on many factors such as:

1. What purpose/purposes? Home defense, CCW defense, trail sidearm defense, competition, plinking, hunting, etc.; and
2. Whether you like revolver or semi-autos better, and all of the factors that that decision entails - some cartridges are available only in certain action types, 'cept for anomolies like the Coonan .357 mag semis and SW 610 10mm revolver, etc. - but the choices of guns are much wider when you stick to the type for which the round was made (revolver for .357 mag, semi for the others); and
3. Whether you reload - a quality .357 Mag revolver can handle loads much hotter than factory loadings, plus the difference in difficulty of reloading in the case of the .357 sig cartridge; and
4. Availability & cost of the different ammos in your area - cost favors .40 or .357 mag, not 10mm or .357sig; availability - that's something you'll have to check on.

Me, I like auto-pistols and among those choices, like the 10mm Auto best. But post your answers to 1-4 and we can give you a much better idea.

Stretch

I really like the .357 sig, but in the lighter weights, you can load a .40 to approximate .357 velocities. The advantage is significantly lower cost for practice ammo.

Ford

If you are limited to a certain number of guns and you want to choose from these calibers. Then yes I agree that a good .357 revolver would be a smart choice. Very versatile, many uses.

Peter M. Eick

I would tell you to reload and get an EAA witness 10mm. You can turn it into a 40 easily (just back it down to a plinking load) and you can trounce a 357 mag with full bore reloads in the 10mm easily. The witness is cheap (less then 300$) so you can pick up lots of reloading gear and shoot it a bunch.

I know I enjoy mine.

Gentlemen, please.....
You're all making me a bit sick when I see that some of you actually believe the trash in these gun rags. Lets me clear something up here. In no way, shape or form is a .357 Sig or a 10mm equal to ANY of the three Magnums. Not even a shadow of similarity. The .357 Sig is no .357 Magnum and 10mm is certainly no 41 Magnum. Even a 357 Magnum will out perform a 10mm, maximum load to maximum load. These auto cartridges are fine examples of modern technology, but lets put them in their correct place. They sit behind the three magnums in the cartridge food chain.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited February 22, 2000).]

Tazz10m

Sorry Bob, but your wrong about the 357 being more powerful than the 10mm. The 10 is a fair bit better. For starters, show me a 357 that kicks out a 200 grain bullet faster than 1200fps. Then consider that the 10mm makes a bigger hole at .40 cal, not .357 and when you combine it with a Glock 20 or Glock 29 with a hi-cap magazine and a +2 mag extention we now have gun with 18 rounds ready to rock. That is 12 shots more than your 6 shooter... Sounds pretty darned capable to me... In addition 6" barrels are readily avalilable to just drop right in, and i have even heard of 7" barrels, and with that comes a significant increase in velocity.

Also, recoil is easier to manage than the .357...

True a 10mm is not quite what a .41 mag is, barrel for barrel, but it's darned close.

It all basicly boils down to what you want to do, and picking the right tool for the job.

No flame intended buddy, but, give me the 10mm any day!

------------------
Reality ALWAYS takes precedence.

stdalire

Wow! you made me think too much for being indecisive which one I should pick it up from .357 and 10mm.

Mr. Art, you seems strengthening my appetite with the .357 rugger. But then your word "No matter what you choose, you will be just fine". This is a whisper on my other ear to convince me for the 10mm. What lures me with the .357 rugger is a magazine said that the arms manufacturer competitors complained for the over engineering of the Rugger and its being solid gun (without screwed removable plates on the side, like the conventional revolvers S&W & Colt).

Fotu: The purpose is we may say for self & home defense as alternate for my 9mm and .45, as carry weapon. It is purely not for shooting sport, for I prefer the .45 for shooting competition. If for selection of these both cartridges, for this .357 cartridge I prefer the revolver. But if I go with the auto of course the 10mm.
The .357 cartridge looks well acclaimed of its penetration power. I don't reload as I am not professional in that area but I will see to it if I can fight my fear of reloading. If about availability in my area there is a great supply and besides, as I have said it is not for target shooting sport if I can get this calibers. The cost would not be a problem.

Stretch and Ford: Thanks for your intense persuation for the .357 cal.

Peter: Thank you for your vote for the 10mm. haven't seen an EAA witness in 10mm in Manila.

Well, how really hard to select for there are so many good opinions from expert on arms.

Thanks again,

stdalire

Aztec: You vote for the 10mm. Now, if I will choose the 10mm, what brand would you recommend to me, I am not much familiar of the famous 10mm trademark. Glock is not my choice so it is out of my list. As of now I am only looking or base on my Cartridge choice.

As to the handling of such recoil and muzzle rise is not aproblem for me for I think that might be just a little bit wilder than the .45 cartridge, I cannot make good evaluation for I don't have any idea on how of 10mm performance and haven't fired one, that is why I am gathering informations from all of you. Ranges having guns for hire in Phil is not that available, most guns for rent are just .45 and 9mm on the range. The .357 especially the 10mm can never be rented and .357 cartridge on ranges is not that popular for practice.

Thank you for the advises.

Tazz,

You didn't do your homework! Very disappointing!

I have lots of reloading data that can push a 200 grain .357 Magnum bullet well beyond the 1200 FPS barrier. About 1500 FPS to be exact. But for sake of argument, you said show me, I will. CorBon makes a 200 grain .357 bullet that travels at 1200 FPS and it can be used in any .357 Magnum gun in good working condition.

http://www.corbon.com/357magnum.htm

Considering that one can now purchase 200 grain .357 LBT bullets, they will out penetrate any .40 caliber in the market today. That make .357 Magnum a superior hunting cartridge. And this childish notion that eighteen rounds is better than six. The average shoot-out last 3 shots. If you can't stop the BG in three shots, you'll probably be in a big pool of blood anyway.

And, not quite a 41 Magnum, but darn close. No Way! A 41 Magnum can hurl a 265 grain bullet at over 1300 FPS, that translates into over 1000 pound feet of energy out the barrel. That is almost 40% less power. That is not darn close!

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited February 23, 2000).]

Tazz10m

Bob, first of all, the .41 mag was never a part of the original topic posted here.

Second, the data you show for the .357 doesnt really indicate anything over the top of the 10mm. I would also suggest you look real carefully at the barrel lengths used to generate the velocities you speak of.

Third, Stdalire indicated that he is looking for a personal defense round, and not for hunting.

Try putting a few of those hot .357 rounds through a Ruger SP101 and tell everybody how ya like 'em. In addition the loads you speak of are lead, not jacketed hollowpoints, and are less than ideal.

You might also want to talk to a few combat vets about your three shot theories. I can assure you, i've done my homework.

------------------
Reality ALWAYS takes precedence.

Red Bull

Check out this thread, it has a good rundown of the comparisons of .40 vs .357
http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum15/HTML/000706.html

Hope that helps.

My favorite gun I own is my Glock 32 .357 Sig compact.

The 10mm is a better gun if you want a full size gun, but no good for compact guns.
Out of the compact guns, the 10mm loses too much velocity. But, it is a GREAT full size gun load.

41magfan-
I know you are a mag fan obviously, there is good reason that people say that the .357 Sig is more power than the .357 mag. Out of equivelent barrel lengths, the .357 Sig trounces the .357 Magnum. In fair comparison, the .357 Mag should be fired out of a 3 inch barrel and the .357 Sig out of a 4, since in the auto the chamber is part of the barrel. Even if you don't want to go that route the .357 Sig is still hotter.
the .357 Sig pushes a standard 125gr defensive load from off the shelf at over 1525 fps out of larger guns, and 1450 fps out of compacts. The .357 Mag is about 100 fps slower than that out of a compact gun with a short barrel. You might be able to handload a hotter round, but these are full power defensive factory loads I am comparing, and out of COMPACT shortbarreled guns. Not only that but the .357 Sig does this with WAY less felt recoil and WAY more ammo capacity. Bad guys come in packs these days, and I am preparing for more than one. 15 rounds of .357 Sig in my compact gun should do.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greetings To All, Of the .40cal, 10mm, and
the .357 Magnum; I would bet if we were in
"PO DUNK, AL we would be more likely to find
.357 Magnum ammo than the other's!!! :) That
said, give me a Smith & Wesson N-frame .357
and I will start towards "PO DUNK" right now.
I think the issue of "the most powerful" still resides with these magnums. Yes, gun
manufacturer's have made great stride's in
this field; but let's keep things in perspective!!! :D

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member