Which one is a HIGH QUALITY .38+P snubby with a shrouded hammer?

Para Bellum

Hi folks,

I am looking for a quality snubby in .38+P with a shrouded hammer.

I have learned here, that a S&W 49-1 built in the late 1980s might have quality issues around the connection between the barrel and the frame. Pretty repelling.

What would be a high quality snubby in .38+P with a shrouded hammer?

If that didn't exist, an internal hammer design could be an option.

The price, second hand or new doesn't matter. I see this as an important once-in-a-livetime investment.

Thank you for your time and thought.
PB

Jimbo-Indy

I would suggest the S&W442 or 642. I carry the 442 frequently. Snubs do require practice but are easy to carry.

lokidansk

Smith Airweight 642
Its what I usualy carry and what I bought
my Daughter for her "got out of the Marine Corp"
present, she carries it daily as well. As stated above,
it will take some range time before you daily carry it.

burrhead

Nothing wrong with the S&W 49. They've been around since the 50s and are a quality gun. I prefer the M38 (the real one, not that plastic abomination) because of the lighter weight but either is good to go.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The OP asked about a shrouded hammer, not a concealed hammer, and the only one I know of is the S&W 638. Charter has a line of revolvers with spurless hammers, but those cannot be cocked manually like the 638 can. A hammer shroud was made for the Colt small frames (DS, Cobra, etc.) but those guns are not available new and I don't know if the shroud is still made.

Jim

The Smith 49 you are looking at IS a high quality gun. Every manufacturer has had issues at times.

I have 4 Smiths from that time frame and all of them are well built quality guns.

Look at what I told you to look at and if it checks out it will be a good gun for you.

What is the asking price?

Model12Win

A new S&W Model 638 revolver is just about tops brother.

You will not be disappointed, contrary to popular belief, S&W can and does still make a quality revolver.

I would STAY AWAY from the plastic abortion M&P tacticrap "Bodyguard", many people I've spoken to aren't happy with them and wished they sprung for the traditional J frame instead.

The Model 638 is the stainless version of the Model 38, and both guns are proven combat worthy. They are very compact and lightweight, and will digest THOUSANDS of .38 special +P rounds without any issues. They are generally smooth and accurate right out of the box, and get even better with time. They have a great trigger reset, and can be very accurate with practice.

I would seriously suggest that gun OP.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The OP did not specify the material, so a Model 49 would meet his needs; I did not include it because I was addressing new guns and the 49 has been discontinued.

Jim

kostner

Have been pocket carrying a SW442 for most of my adult life. Its easy to carry in a front pocket with a holster. It's a really personal type pistol. Useful range beening twenty feet. It not fun to shoot but will give you peace of mind when trouble is headed your way.

tomrkba

I am looking for a quality snubby in .38+P with a shrouded hammer.

Ruger LCR in 38 Special +P. The trigger is better than that of the J-Frame--it makes a difference. But, you certainly have a wide variety of small S&W snubbies to choose from:

S&W J-Frames

Technosavant

I would STAY AWAY from the plastic abortion M&P tacticrap "Bodyguard", many people I've spoken to aren't happy with them and wished they sprung for the traditional J frame instead.

Meh, I have both a 642 and the BG38.

In terms of practical performance, they're about even. The laser on the BG38 is next to useless (hard to activate) and the BG38 also just doesn't feel as well put together. My first BG38 had a serious accuracy issue (it was shooting about two feet to the left at 7 yards) and it turned out to have been part of a batch where the barrel was improperly installed. S&W replaced the gun entirely and the new one is fine.

The 642 feels better... kind of a "more of a piece" feel. The trigger on the BG38 is better, so while the 642 probably has more actual potential for accuracy, the BG38's trigger makes it a shade easier to shoot. Both are a handful. I would say the 642 is a better quality gun, but then, it costs more. Either would serve well. Neither are something I'd want to shoot for an extended period... I'd highly doubt someone could wear out a 642, but I'd also doubt someone would shoot a BG38 enough to wear it out. If one does, that shooter's hands are definitely made of sterner stuff than mine.

But both have a completely hidden hammer. If you want to retain the ability to thumbcock it, get the 638 for the 49.

tallball

I had a great 38 snubbie with a great trigger, but I really needed a hammerless one after I got my CCL. I read up on it thoroughly, and it turns out that the hammer spur is easy to remove if you have the right tool. I slowly and carefully removed the hammer spur, and now it slides in or out of my pocket slicker than snot with no chance of snagging.

So, IMHO, any good 38 snubbie is a hammerless snubbie if you want it to be one.