• RRA LAR-6

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • M1A

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amprecon

Alright, here's the deal, you have moments to get out of your house because of some impending disaster, the power is out and there's no water pressure in your house, you've already heard reports of looting and roaming gangs in nearby neighborhoods. You have these three rifles to choose from, a full ammo can for each one (300 rounds) an 8-mag pouch for the SLR and RRA and a 6-mag pouch for the M1A, but you can only choose one.

SLR-95 7.62X39
SLR-95.jpg
[/IMG]

Rock River Arms LAR-6 6.8spc
RRALAR-6b.jpg
[/IMG]

Springfield Armory M1A .308 Win
M1A.jpg
[/IMG]

mitchell koster

Good question.

My choice out the options given would be the RRA LAR-6. My reasoniing is that 1) it has optics. I find it easier to shoot longer ranges with them. But they also can be used in close ranges.
2) I think its the small callibre out of the rest so i would think there would be less recoil. Which would help the overall "comfort" level throughtout the ordeal.

The other option would be to stay in the house. Have a safe room, and give a gun to several people. Being in a room means its harder to get supplies and your pinned down but it means that theres only one way in (assuming there is no windows).

MK

TheGoldenState

AK in he right hand, AR in the left, and the M1A stung across the back.

really tho, whichever was closer, if all the same distance id "inny mini mynie mo" it

andrew66

M1A b/c its open sights (rugged and reliable), shoots minute of man, and when the 300 rounds run out i can easily find some. Plus shooting a high powered 30 cal will stop someone in their tracks and the next guy behind him. It would also make a fine club if i ran out of bullets and needed to whack someone with it.

Also: does the M1A have a bayonet? that would be another feature if things were going down in a house.

Norrick

I think you need two close friends who you trust to take whichever two you don't and head on out with you. Family members even!

But to answer your question, I'd take whichever one has the most abundant ammo. So the 6.8 is out. I'd have taken a .223 AR but thats not an option. As for the remaining two... probably whichever is lighter.

rickyrick

I'd say m1a due to probability of finding more ammo.

This sounds a lot like a "excrement of an unknown velocity colliding with alternating current powered rotational ventilation equipment" scenario.:eek:

ZCORR Jay

I'd personally go with the M1A as well partly because availability of ammo and its effectiveness. The idea of a club works too.

amprecon

Well, by an impending disaster I was referring to earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, fires, massive civil unrest, any situation that could cause you to leave your home for the sake of safety so that you don't have your own house collapse upon you.
I voted for the SLR-95, as much as I do love my M1A and RRA, I just feel the SLR would be the most reliable, it is the cheapest of the three, it's also the lightest and most portable and it's caliber, although not the most accurate, is accurate enough to engage threats well within most distances you'd be accosted from and devastating enough.
I'm not so worried about ammo availability with it as its popular enough to be stocked and horded by many.
I don't even feel that I'd need a backup pistol if just having the SLR, but I just couldn't run out the door without my Glock 21, I simply don't go anywhere without it.

Old Time Hunter

None of the above...:barf:

Personally I would take a semi auto 9mm pistol with reams of ammo, along with an accurate, silenced .22LR Rifle with a dependable scope to prey on bad guys without them knowing it. That way I could have all their arsenal.

demigod

Not the best options there... :barf:

Springfields M1A would probably break. They aren't the Mil spec M14s in any regard.

6.8 is just plain useless.

I'd grab the AK, I reckon... assuming I had a bunch of ammo to feed it.

Loader9

And to think, this SHTF scenario, which is highly against forum rules, is still up and not locked after 16 hours. Somebody must be asleep.

Skans

I'd take my AK underfolder - much easier to carry around - I guess that would be the SLR-whatever that was mentioned.

Also, if my AK got damaged, dirty, broken or stolen, I'm not going to get too upset about it.

My next choice would be a quality build AR pistol - again, easy to carry around. I figure whatever rifle-type gun that I'm going to take with me, I'm going to want to have slung over my back and a jacket or shirt covering it up. Or at least make some attempt to conceal it. Handgun would be in a more convenient place - holster carried on the side.

I can't envision a situation that I'd encounter where I'd be firing off shots further than 20 yards away - and even that's a stretch.

Sorry, but this is a Doomsday/SHTF thread, which is specifically prohibited by TFL rules.

"And to think, this SHTF scenario, which is highly against forum rules, is still up and not locked after 16 hours. Somebody must be asleep."

The night watchman called in sick. We'll fire him. :rolleyes:

Next time, instead of complaining that a post is outside TFL's rules, report the post to a moderator, either via PM or using the report post button.

Status
Not open for further replies.