Which old presses accept standard shellholders?

Jbotto

I come across older used c- and o-type presses frequently and have noticed that they are usually a bit better (read stronger) built than most of the bargain presses of today. I was wondering though, after noticing some funky shellholder setups, which brands or models take the standard shellholders that are so commonly used today. I'm really not interested in finding a press and then later learning that I need to try and hunt down some odd shellholders for it. I'm looking to use this press mostly to swage primer pockets with the RCBS die kit. The only reason I feel that this would be the better option over buying a new press is I just wonder about the strength of the cheaper newer presses. I've read that this swaging tool takes a bit of force and don't want to break anything. Thanks for any help you guys can pass my way!

surveyor

Depending on your total cost for press, shellholder, rcbs kit, and any time you have in rehabilitating the press, you may not be that far away from the dillon swager.

The dillon has a rod that supports the case from the inside.

But.....
A man can find a use for another well built single stage.

T. O'Heir

In most cases, shell holders haven't changed at all. There used to be some proprietary stuff, but not a lot. Kind of depends on what you think is old too. Had my Redding(they and RCBS were the same company for years) press for 40 years or so. Very much doubt you could break it using exclusively as a primer pocket swager.

Jbotto

surveyor, I'm way ahead of you! I'm sure I'll have no problem finding more uses for another single-stage press... I'm just not wanting to use my Co-Ax for everything. There's a few things that I like a standard shellholder press for over the Co-Ax, not many but a few. ;)

condor bravo

The newer presses should handle primer pocket swaging, but to better meet your criteria pass on the aluminum frame models for a cast iron frame model. As noted above, essentially all older presses use current RCBS, etc type holders. One older discontinued press that does not is the Herter's press (there are several models), but a shell holder adapter for current holders can be obtained. If you want to try for a heavy, massive C frame press, check the internet for the Herter's model 3 press. There was a recent thread on these presses with some emphasis on the somewhat improved model over the original. Should you find one to your satisfaction and buy it, one or more Herter's shell holders will probably be included. But obtain the adapter for current holders by googling 'herters shell holder adapter'. They are available from several sources and priced to around $25 or less. If buying a Model 3 press, $60 should be considered a very good price, especially if it can be determined to be the improved model. But the write-ups will probably not say, one way or the other.

Kevin Rohrer

Most of the older presses either use RCBS-type shell holders, or you can buy an adapter to allow their use.

What particular press are you referring to?

Most of my presses are 50+ years old and are far stronger than most of the aluminum crap sold today. But there are plenty of old, iron presses available on Ebay.

Here are a few of mine I use:

IMG_1326.jpg

jepp2

I have swaged over 25K 223 rounds with the RCBS primer pocket swager (without bending the rod). So I have some experience with it.

When considering a used press, also consider you need a press that the cover that forces the case head from the stud, also needs the proper platform. I did all my swaging on a 50 year old RockChucker. It worked fine, but it took some modification to allow the case head to release from the stud.

I just looked at the prices of used RockChuckers on fleabay. I can buy a new RockChucker from Midway for less than the used presses are selling for.

I finally converted to the Dillon swager and am very happy with it. But regardless if you use the RCBS swager or the Dillon swager, they both work best if you sort your brass. The web thickness does make a difference.

F. Guffey

I've read that this swaging tool takes a bit of force and don't want to break anything. Thanks for any help you guys can pass my way!

I have read that also, the impossible thing to teach a reloader is measure before and again after. The best way to render a rod scrap is assume all case heads are the same thickness.

I have shell holders; I have rams with integral shell holders, shell holders that screw on and shell holders that bolt on. Then there are old presses, I have one press that uses bolt on shell holders; when in operation it looks like a spider doing push ups.

I use bolt on shell holders in an arbor press when doing heavy work. When doing heavy work with a press is like attempting to size a case that has more resistance to sizing than a press can overcome.

Swaging primer pockets does not require a heavy duty press.

F. Guffey

ballardw

The only specific press brand that comes to mind is Herters. But there are adapters to use "standard" shell holders in them.

F. Guffey

The only specific press brand that comes to mind is Herters. But there are adapters to use "standard" shell holders in them.

In the big inning there was C&H and Hollywood etc., strong presses, strong shell holders. There were presses with integral rams meaning the ram and the shell holder was one piece. I would not consider the Herter shell holder the strongest design. When raising the ram the case got shoved up into the die. If nothing went wrong the two set screws that secured the shell holder to the ram were adequate. When something went wrong the two set screws were convenient, remove the two set screws, lower the ram then remove the shell holder. After removing the shell holder remove the die with the stuck case.

Is that the method/technique used by reloaders? Most would rip the rim off of the when lowering the ram. And then there was this philosophy about ‘tight’, if tight was good really tight had to be better. When the set screws were really tight the top of the ram would spread. Problem when the top of the ram opens up; the flare at the top of the ram will not allow the ram to be lowered.

Then there was that other problem, the RCBS primer pocket swage will not fit all ‘old’ presses like nost of the Super Model 3 Herter. And; another problem created when ‘the adapter’ is used.

I have Herter shell holders, they fit. My favorite shell holder is the RCBS shell holder, they do not fit.

F. Guffey

Jbotto

Kevin, I've been seeing online some of the older Lyman Spartan presses, the Pacific C and Super C's and others.

Thanks F. Guffey and everyone else for the wisdom shared!