Which of these rifles would you recommend?

teumessian_fox

I'm a left handed shooter and currently have no big game rifle. I've narrowed my choices to one of three rifles: Browning Stalker stainless in 30-06, Tikka T3 Stainless in 308, and the Remington XCR in 270 Winchester. These are the most likely candidates because they are stainless and because they offer them in left handed action.

I've got brass and dies for the 30-06 but that's not a limiting factor. I can easily buy components for the other calibers.

Which would you buy? The XCR comes with a Leupold VX 2 4x12 scope which retails for about $450.

thanx for your input.

kristop64089

I like Tikka's alot, but still haven't bought one(I keep buying Howa's). If you like aftermarket add on's, Remington is the way to go.
I'm not a big fan of Browning, so if I were in your Shoes, it'd be the Tikka. There action is absolutely incredible(especially at the price-point), and their guns just look good.

hilblly

Watcha gonna be usin' it fer, Just big Game? If so either the 06 or the 270 would be great choices. The 308 is a little slow for my taste.

Bird Dog

I have rifles in all three calibers. For game, I clearly prefer the .30-06. It is just SO versatile - Moose to Antelope and everything in between. I think all three of those rifle models are nice.

taylorce1

Sounds like the .270 is set up and ready to hunt with, plus I like the XCR model as well. When I was looking for a new .30-06 I looked long and hard at the XCR for an all around all weather and terrain rifle. The coating on the XCR just seemed to make everything work smother as well when I compared it to other staniless synthetic rifles.

Plus the VXII 4-12X40 scope is a great one. Minre recently broke the reticle, I just haven't had a chance to send it back yet to get it fixed. However with the missing piece of reticle on the scope it it still tracks and holds zero. So I'll return it after hunting season is over to get repaired.

srkavanagh6621

I would go for the tikka! great bolt great trigger great accuracy so its a great gun! .308 it also a very good catridge, you would be happy with the tikka!

tirod

Does big game include dangerous game?

Drill down which caliber you want first. Don't confuse the selection of what you need the bullet to do with how it gets launched. Frankly, the target could care less what kind of barreled action was aimed at it.

Once the caliber is right - and big game implies moose, elephant, grizzly, then figure out which rifle suits your fancy. Then match a scope to what you intend to shoot.

Just grabbing something that's out there for sale is no guarantee you will be happy with it.

I bought a .30-06 stainless Remington 700 and mounted a 3x9 Bushnell 4 Star on it, discovered I don't like .30 caliber bolt actions and high powered scopes. Nice gun; too much caliber, recoil, awkward reloading, and difficult close range visuals for whitetails here.

Back to a semi auto and red dot, it worked for me then.

Caliber, gun, scope. Match them in that order to what you actually shoot where you actually shoot it.

Legionnaire

Yes, need more clarity on what you consider "big game." The '06 can handle the heaviest loads of the three cartridges you mention. But if you're shooting 165 grain bullets or less, you won't see significant difference between the '06 and the .308. My "go to" hunting rifle for deer-sized game is a .308. I'd probably opt for an '06 if bear were on the agenda.

Of the three rifles you mention, I'd prefer the Tikka. I'm a big fan of older Remington 700s, but I've been very impressed by the fit, finish, and accuracy of the Tikka T3.

Tikka in .308...

That's what I have and use every year for big game. As others have said, it's got the best bolt, great trigger, and excellent accuracy...

billnourse

My caliber choice would definately be the 30/06. I was not aware that Remington made the XCR in a lefthanded bolt. If so that would be a good choice, however of the three, I would say that your best accuracy is going to come from the Tikka. Also has a great trigger.

You will need to put a Limb Saver on the Tikka because a rifle that light backs up a little, and the pad they come with is hard as a rock and inadaquate, but they are super accurate, and less pricey than the other two.

My son has a T-3 light with a Leupold VX1 3x9x40 in 30/06 that has not shot a 3 shot 100 yard group larger than 3/4" with any hand load of mine that we have tried. It has shot a couple of 1/4" groups.

Bill

freqlord

Tikka is definitely up and coming... no wait, I take that back. If I didn't have my Mauser, I'd buy a Tikka. They're light, but the action feels solid, I have yet to read a bad review about them, and the guys at Bass Pro can't say enough about them. New Remington 700's have shoddy trigger groups that I'm not too impressed with. If you go with it, then find a used one.

30.06 is an extremely versatile round. Elk, moose, deer, antelope, you name it. I've shot 120gr loads and 210 grain loads out of my Mauser and it's simply beautiful.
People are correct when they say that the .308 is too slow. If you're worried about kick, that's why Jesus Christ himself invented the sissy pad. And a kick from an .06 isn't that bad with the right pad.

Best of luck!

langenc

the Tikka Hunter SS in 300 WSM.

Same as I posted on the guy wanting recommendations about elk gun-above a couple lines..

fishmagnet

.308....too slow?

How fast does the bullet need to go to get out of the "too slow" category?

My Rem Model 7 in .308 has dropped many Axis, Whitetail, and Fallow at 200+ yds.

Please explain "too slow"....LMAO :D