Which "Marine" shotgun: Rem. Vs. Mossberg

Grapeshot

Which marine-coated model has the more durable finish?

I have not seen the Mossberg Mariner in person, so I could not try it, but did look at a Remington Marine Magnum today and was real impressed. However, I noticed that it is not drilled and tapped, which is important to me because I can't get down into a shotgun to see the bead. Eventually I want to put a red dot scope on it for messing around with slugs. The less-expensive Mossberg Mariner supposedly is scope-ready and holds more rounds in the mag. tube.

So ... has anybody here actually owned a Mossy Mariner?

Also, how do you scope an 870 Marine Magnum? Do the B-Square mounts mess up the functioning of it?

Finally, which would be your first choice for home defense and range fun?

jadams951

Can't speak for the mossberg since I have no experience with it. But I can say I own a Remington 870 marine magnum. It sure is pretty!!! The finish holds up very nice. I've banged it up against various hard surfaces, on accident of course, and no marks on it what so ever. Put several hundred rounds through it and not a one single FTF. Needless to say I give it a two thumbs up.

I also have a Rem 870 MM and like it just fine. I don't have 300 rounds through it yet so my evaluation is a little lacking on experience, but so far there have been no surprises with the gun. It handles well and I have no regrets in purchasing it. It is used as our home defense shotgun. The idea to go with the MM was in part due to the finish, something that would stand up over a long period of time (sort of like a Glock's) such that missed regular maintenance, if the gun stayed in the closet for a few years, would not result in rusted parts that would not function. The extended mag is good too.

I don't plan on not taking care of the gun, but occasionally you hear stories about people who decide they need their ___ home defense gun and find that it won't function because of rust or having lost all lubrication. The Rem 870 MM is not a bad way to go unless you just hate the nickel finish.

sam3

when i went to 870 armorors school the instr. stated rem. took several shotguns to a independent lab and had them put in a salt spray tank. a rem express worked longer than the moss. marine cause everything on the moss. had been plated except the bolt face, it rusted shut. the 870 marine never stopped working, they had to tap the sfatey with a mallet thenit worked. the gun was nver lubed after the test and sits in a supervisors office and still works.

CWL

Have owned my 870 Marine Magnum for over 7 years, never had trouble in finish or using any loads. Once tried to put on a "sidesaddle" type scope mount, but the new pins were too tight and didn't fit (the finish probably made the holes smaller), and I stopped before I screwed up the finish.