Which Luber-Sizer?

Jector

I figure I'll be needing a luber-sizer soon and was looking for recommendation. Over at Midway the RCBS is highest rated by reviewers (customers?) Do ya'll agree? Also is a heater highly recommended?

GP100man

i have 2 lyman 450s bought used & updated the linkage sys.

as far as dies & top punches on the rcbs & lyman are interchangeable & it really comes down to which color ya like !!

i feel the new rcbs LAMII has more bearing surface for the ram though.

as far as a heater people heat em all kinds of ways irons , heat guns, heat strips & i use a heat lamp but the heater is nice to have !!

keep watchin the wires & auctions & most of the time ya can run across a good 1 at less than new $$

Midway has a lyman castin sale on this month also sizer with heater $134.99

Last edited:

Rangefinder

Well, it's already been said---which color do you like? If you want a lead on a like-new lyman 450:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141820987

Yes, there is one bid---mine. But if I add one more thing to my bench this month, my wife is gonna hand me a sleeping bag and tell me to move into my shop. That being said, it wouldn't break my heart if I get out-bid and loose it. :D Want another one, but don't "need" it as bad as I need my spot in the bed... LOL

Crosshair

I tumble lube with a mix of Vaseline, Johnson's paste Wax, and Lee Alox. Tumble, dump out outside for a few days to dry a bit, then put it through the LEE sizer. The lube on the outside gets pushed into the grooves, yet leaves a thin layer on the outside of the bullet.

dahermit

I figure I'll be needing a luber-sizer soon and was looking for recommendation. Over at Midway the RCBS is highest rated by reviewers (customers?) Do ya'll agree? Also is a heater highly recommended?
I have owned and used both. I prefer the Lyman over the RCBS because the ratchet system for pressurizing the lube. With the ratchet, it is easy to give just one little nudge and then reset the handle back exactly where it was. With the RCBS, the handle does not reset, it continues for 180 degrees and then you can push it to the other side. I felt I had more control with the Lyman by far (too much pressure and lube will flow under the bullet). Also, heater are only needed if you use hard lubes. I use NRA 50-50 Alox/beeswax so I never had a use for the heaters.

hornady

I have used a Lyman 450 for years no complaints. As to a heater. That pretty much depends on the lube you use and how warm it is where you lube. I would try without a heater, see how it works. And if you need one then worry about it. I use a heater. But use a Harder lube. And work in the Basement. Temp drops to mid 60s in winter down there.

Malamute

"...I tumble lube with a mix of Vaseline, Johnson's paste Wax, and Lee Alox. Tumble, dump out outside for a few days to dry a bit,...."

That would leave them coated with a layer of fine abrasive in my neighborhood. Even leaving anything uncovered in my loading shop will,....:D I have to loosely cover my bullets that I lube with Lee liquid Alox while they dry.

CrustyFN

I have a Lyman 4500 and like it a lot. If I had to size a lot more bullets than I do now I would buy the Star sizer.