Which Lee 223 Rem dies is better?

actionflies

I reload for my pistol cal. using the Lee classic turret press and looking to start loading 223 Rem. This will be my first rifle caliber, so which dies do I need - Lee pacesetter or Lee deluxe rifle dies? Also, what is the purpose of a pocket swager and what extra stuff do I need to start? Thanks.

wncchester

Which is "better" depends on how you expect to load. If you want to do both FL and neck sizing the delux set includes both.

A primer pocket swager removes (swages) the primer crimps on mil cases so we can seat a new cap.

You will likely need something to trim and then debur the cases when they get too long.

Dragunov54

Spend the extra money and get the Lee Deluxe Rifle Dies. I have these dies for both my .308 and .223. They are well made and will last forever.

jhansman

+1 on the Deluxe Rifle set. You get the collet neck sizer as a bonus, and once you've fireformed your brass (assuming you are shooting a bolt gun), it will be just about all you need for sizing.

Sevens

I'll tell you this...

It's hard, DAMN HARD to buy either the Deluxe or the Pacesetter die set for rifle if the shop you are in happens to have the "RGB" set staring you down.

The RGB set is a 2-die set, the full length sizer and the seater die (with roll crimp if you swing that way) and it is the only Lee set that does NOT come with a shellholder. But the damn RGB set is like $11 or $12. That's crazy! That's like pocket lint for a pair of dies that you will never, ever break/destroy/wear out. If you have already bought the 11 shellholder set, you already have every shellholder you'll need so the RGB dies damn near jump off the shelf.
I have actually bought RGB dies in calibers I don't even own rifles for...

With that rant aside, and only choosing between Deluxe and Pacesetter, I'd recommend the one that inlcudes the collet neck sizing die. Simply put, this damn die is overpriced (compared to other Lee dies and die sets) when you buy it separately.

Even if you do believe you'll need it (say you shoot an autochucker), you should still get it for when the day comes that you own a bolt gun or a single shot. Also, a collet neck size die also doubles as a basic decapping die if you should ever find the need for one... run brass up just part way in to a collet neck sizer and it'll decap your brass with almost no effort.

ForneyRider

I have Lee deluxe rifle die sets in 7mm Mag, .22-250, and 270 Win.

The Deluxe set doesn't come with crimp. If you want a crimp you need to buy a separate die or get the Pacesetter or RGB set.

I use the neck-sizer dies quite a bit.

From what I have read online: full-length size and crimp semi-auto, pump/lever action ammunition.

CrustyFN

I went with the Pacesetter die set because all of my 223 is shot in my AR 15 and a neck sizer won't do me any good. The Pacesetter set comes with the FCD. I am very happy with this set of dies.
Rusty