Which Kahr to look into

Yung.gunr

So I have been thinking about upgrading from my TCP to a 9mm pocket auto. I have been looking at the Sig P290rs to fill the roll. But, I held a Kahr CW40 at the pawn shop today and it felt like a nice gun. A little too big for what I want, but nice.

So which Kahr models have you had that are 9mm and about the same size as the TCP, P238 or P290rs? It's kinda hard to get a feel for size just trying to compare dimensions online. I understand that they will be thicker than the .380s, but I'm also looking at height and length.

Beagle45ACP

For a 9mm pocket gun with the same dimensions as a P238, just look at the P938. It's the same gun, just "upsized" a little bit to hold the 9mm Luger instead of 9mm Kurz

weldonjr2001

The PM9 is Kahr's polymer 9mm pocket semi-auto. It is about 3 ounces lighter than the P290RS.

I've had the PM9, the P290RS, and the Beretta Nano. All fine pistols in my opinion, but I never could get any of them to come out of my Docker's style pants pocket smoothly enough to feel comfortable with.

But plenty of people do seem to find them acceptable.for pocket carry. Maybe my pocket style is limiting me there.

I'm sticking with my Ruger LCP and LCR for the pocket. They are snag free, and I can't say that about the other three.

I pocket carry in a Blackhawk #1 holster by the way.

The PM9 is 3 ounces lighter than the P290RS, and I could definitely feel the difference in the pocket when I tried them.

The P290 is slightly the smallest of the three, especially where I felt it most counted for pocket carry, from the bottom of the grip to the top of the rear sight. But paradoxically, it is also the heaviest of the three.

The PM9 has the smoothest trigger of the three. Very nice.

Kahr also has the PM40, which is almost exactly the same size as the PM9. It is a handful under recoil, but if you like the larger caliber, manageable.

I have found the PM9, the P290RS and the Nano (with the right ammo) perfectly reliable. I just carry them in a small gunpack instead of the pocket.

PSP

Kahr makes each model in a small, medium and large size. The CW9 you fondled is a medium sized model. The small models are the CM9, PM9 or MK9. These three share the same size 6 round magazines. The first two are polymer framed with a stainless slide. The MK9 is all stainless and thus heavier. All have a 3" barrel. hard to beat any of the three for ease of concealment.

arizona98tj

The PM9 and the CM9 are the same firearm except for a few changes on the CM9 that drops the price down to what more folks consider reasonable. I've carried a PM9 for the past 5 years and would do so with a CM9 too. When I bought my PM9, the CM9 had not been brought to market.