Which J-frame to buy first?

A private seller has 3 J-frame snubs for sale, a Model 49, a M60 and a M38 all in excellent condition with original boxes, and all priced at $275. Being a sucker for snub revolvers, I would buy all three, but finances at this time are a little tight. Which would you recommend to buy first? Thanks

Tom2

I would buy the bodyguard type first, as they seem alot rarer and hard to find. I have not seen any for sale round here lately at all. No snag but still can cock it. I have a centennial type and recently sold a sweet chiefs model. I might prefer the bodyguard over both as it has the best of both other types. That is assuming good condition. Maybe a LW frame for CCW and steel for around the house or even carry if you think you will shoot practice with alot of +P. My centennial would be great for CCW but I do like having the SA option for testing new ammo accuracy etc. The chiefs or exposed hammer types always seem available and even the DA only guns are more common here. I am waiting for a good bodyguard deal to jump on, myself. Have passed on some heavily carried or used ones that are just too beat for the asking prices. I am assuming pre frame lock models. I would not get one myself of any model with that, but that is your call.

skeeter1

Ichiro, I'm going to guess that what you meant to say was "Double-action-only has no purpose on a snubby." I like my Smith M60 just fine, and over the years iv'e learned to always cover the hammer with my thumb when pocket carrying. Some compelling arguements can be made in favor hammerless shubbies like the Bodyguard and Centennial models. For those with the irrational hatred of the S&W internal lock, the DAO models don't have them, but they do have a grip safety.

DOA models such as the 60, 442, 642 and various scandium and ti pemutations do have the lock...Smith has brought back their classic Centennial with the grip safety but that is the only one in their line.

MR.G

Wish I could find deals like that! I would do whatever necessary to get all three at that price. If only one could be bought, I would take the model 49.

The Tourist

My wife likes that style, but we regard it mainly for defense, not for recreation.

Obviously, we would shoot it for Q/C, but for us this is a gun that is carried a lot and shot a little.

I believe the model she wants now is a 342.

First ?

Thanks for all your input, I went with Model 38 Airweight, and then contacted the seller that I was going to take the steel framed 49 as well. Unfortunately, the 49 was sold. You've heard that story before.

Last edited:

Tom2

Toljaso. Nice bodyguards in the pre tricky safety key configuration don't set around long. I keep an eye peeled. Will be at a show this weekend and will be looking for those among many other things. You can keep all your up to date laser equipped, giant glow sight, ported, pimped and locked versions of the J frames. I won't even pick it up unless perhaps it was less than half the price of a classic.