Which is the Better Scope?

lamarw

This is for a 25-06 rifle. Simmons 3X10X44 or a Simmons Pro-Point 1.5X5X32.

I have the option with a new used gun purchase. Thanks.

jmr40

I simply could not recommend either. The least expensive scopes that are not a waste of your money are either the Redfield or Nikon Prostaff at around $150 for either.

a7mmnut

Cabela's has the Pro Staff 3-9 for $99.00 , but the stock won't last long. The 4-12 runs around $150. -7-

kd7sgm

I am with JMR on this one. Go the extra cash and get a minimum of a Nikon Prostaff or Redfield Revolution, they carry almost the same price as each other. I have a couple of each brand and they are not bad scopes at all.

Smaug

I had a couple Simmons'. Garbage.

The external construction was OK, but they would not hold zero.

Entry level Nikon, Burris would be a good bet.

mdd

For the 25-06 you will want a scope with more magnification if you intend to use it to its capabilities. The lil-06 can reach out and touch things and I personally wouldn't be satisfied with a max magnification of 5x on mine. And I wouldn't go with the simmons either.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I put a 1997-vintage Simmons "44 Mag" 3x10x44 on my pet '06, mostly out of curiosity. Ran a couple of hundred rounds through it. Worked just fine, whether at 100 yards or 500 yards. It survived bouncing around Terlingua jeep trails in my 4x4 PU.

I've no idea if the newer ones are equal.

For a .25-;06, since that's as likely to be a long-range varmint getter as it is for the usual deer hunting, I'd go with the 3x10--if you have no choice besides one of the two Simmons scopes.

lamarw

I appologize. I bought the gun and the seller is offering one or the other included with the deal.

I will follow your advise on which one I should equip it with, but then which one should I take with the deal.

I am in the camp of wanting the best glass. So, the scope mabe a future purchase if neither of the questioned scopes are not :confuse of quality for the rifle. :confused:

big al hunter

I would take the 3-10x44 and put it on my 22lr. Free is free. Then get a burris, nikon, or vortex (vortex and burris are my freference). Avoid the cheaper stuff, especially simmons, tasco, bushnell, and most any model at wal-mart. You will thank yourself in the end if you spend a little more on the scope and get all the features you want.

lamarw

Thank You, It sounds like a no winner. The deal is with the rifle and a future good scope.

I appreciate all of your good advice. :)

Ivan

I have one of the Simmons 44 Mag scopes. Probably the same 3-10X you are thinking about. It isn't a bad scope in my opinion. It got swapped around a bit to other guns as better scopes took over. Here's the thing: we all tend to be gun snobs here. Bottom line is that this isn't a terrible choice if we are on a budget (especially for free). Your other choice might be a good choice to hang on a AK or other blaster, but is much less worthy for a decent bolt gun.

- Ivan.