which is the better CCW weapon...?

longeyes

all things considered, Kel-Tec P-32 or lightweight J-frame snubbie from Taurus or Smith...? If you had to pick one...?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Well, if it was the primary CCW gun,

I'd try to find a way to tote the small-frame wheelgun everywhere. The pocket .32's are nifty guns as hideouts/deep concealment/"always" guns and/or backups to a bigger CCW piece, but .38 Spl or even .32 H&R Mag can do things that .32 ACP just can't do.

The only times I carry just my .32 Tomcat are when even a J-frame or my G33 would be too bulky or awkward. Otherwise, it's carried as a backup in case my primary should pick an awkward moment to become a club or turn nonexistant. ;)

Marcus

Actually the Keltec .32 and J frame revolvers are in totally different classes. For the size and weight of almost any J frame you could carry 2 Keltec .32s! Much more comparable would be the Keltec P-11/P-40 which is still lighter and smaller than most snubbies but holds roughly twice as much ammo(or as much as 4 times as much with larger hi caps!) ,is usually more powerfull and is much easier to reload under stress than a snubbie. I carry a P-11 loaded with 115gr.+Ps most of the time for the above reasons plus the convenience of Keltec`s super slick belt clip. Marcus

Lightsped

I'd go with the Taurus or S&W 38 snubbie. It is a solid design which has served many shooters for many years. I currently own two snubbies. Both are Taurus. One is a Stainless Steel model, and the other is a grey Total Titanium model....

J-frame snubby is best choice of the ones listed. But, have you tried an SP 101 2.25 inch snubby? Its extremely accurate and easy to shoot for a snubby!

dairycreek

My Choice

I have made that choice and carry a S & W 442 with a Barami hip grip. The reason? While I have a lot of guns this is the one that I will consistently carry. That's always the best choice for a CCW.

Gino

If you can only get one of them, I would strongly suggest the 38 stubby. The 38 special beats the 32 acp round hands down. The chances of you (as a civilian) needing more than a 38 stubby are pretty low. I think EVERONE who has a CCW should try out a 38 stubby. The stubby really is a great CCW gun.

That being said, I carry an NAA Guardian 32acp often. Just to stir up the pot... ;)

Torpedo

Better CCW weapon

Just my 2 cents worth, but I like to carry an Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special in a side pocket holster. These days they even make a spurless model for that purpose.( I have an original model.) I like the extra punch this little gun provides. You can check it out at:

http://www.charterfirearms.com

twburger

Bigger is better unless smaller is

I tend to think that the perfect carry piece is a 50BMG that wieghs 9 ounces and holds ten rounds.

That ridiculous statement being said: It is always a balance between carry wieght and size and power. A .22 is the smallest and can be a deadly weapon. I knew tunnel rats in Vietnam who used a Hi-Standard .22 with silencer to hunt VC (more guts than I have). Genrally anything below a .32 ACP is considered not a "put the bad guy down" caliber. Even a .32 is very marginal.

A CCW should be .380, 9mm, .38 Special or bigger. It should be simple to use, snag free and reliable. I like the smaller Glocks in .45 or 9mm.

Most important is if you can handle it. A .22 is better than a .45 if you can not handle the .45.

Dave T

My first off duty weapon (vintage 1973) was a S&W Model 60. I've owned and carried several M36s, another M60, an Charter Undercover 38 and a Charter Bulldog 44.

I have a Keltec P-11 that I use for a demonstration piece in my CCW classes. I show the students that it is the same length and hight as a 2" five shot 38. It is narrower, weighs 14 oz empty and carries 11 rounds.

From a tactical (don't ya just love the over use of that word) point of view there is no compairison. the P-11 wins hands down. The 32 shouldn't be considered in the same conversation as the 9 is thinner than the 38 revolver.

$.02, but YMMV!

EnochGale

I go with the SW 442. Any of the J frames in the lighter weights are great guns.

Reasonable power and easy to pocket.

I've had some smaller mousey guns but always go back to
the 442. A little thought in buying slacks
and you can always carry it.

aerod1

I generally wear the Taurus 605 CHSS 5 shot revolver. Sometimes for deep concealment I wear a Beretta Tomcat, when I go to church.

Jim Hall

martin6

I own and use both the P-32 and the 642. I feel a little better protected with the 642. This piece also looks a little more intimidating (the P-32 looks like a water gun). The 642 is about twice as heavy and much thicker. Even in loose dockers the 642's bulge is easily seen in the front pocket while seated. The P-32 hides extreemely well, no question. As for what I carry more often. Probably the P-32. It is way to easy to carry and spoils you quick. I am often dressed in work casual and rarely wear a jacket. The p-32 blends in completely unnoticed. When I go out with the family (walmart, grocery store, eating out, etc) I usually carry the 642. Plus, in this setting, even if someone notices, who cares, it's legal anyway. But, if I am in a setting where I know it would cause a big stink if someone made me, I will carry the P-32. Therefore, I love them both and will keep them both. If I were to buy just one I would get the 642. Ultimately it is more relaible, more versital and more powerful.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I'd go for a snubby over a mousey.. I'd want a 380 at a minimum. An old colt cobra or SW Airweight would feel better in my hand than any "mini" gun.

I did a comaprison once between the size of my FEG 380, a makarov and my colt commander. All were "overall" about the same size while the 380 won on wieight and hieght.

Making such a choice is entirely a personal one.. depending on your preference for caliber, action, clothing style and comfort levels.

I's choose the snubby in a iwb holster in stainless from your list of choices, stoke it with heavy bullets with a BIG hollowpoint, practice like hell with it.

Only drawback on a revolver is carrying spare ammo..
even with a speed loader revolver ammo is bulky to carry.. and nothing seems speedy about 'speed strips".

Others have made good points about "how many" bullets you might need... not an exact science, but i think MORE is better. If you get a snubby get one that holds 6 rounds. If you get an auto make sure it holds more than 6.. make sense?