Which is the best Mac-10?

MosinM38

Well, not really a case of "I wanna, gotta, gonna get it", I am mildly interested in the oddball guns.

And I had a few questions.

Primarily, Which one is the best? They have been made by a few differant manufacturers, in several variations, and I was wondering if any in particular stood out?

#2.

I heard one guy say "Go only with the original open bolts, as they were made by the original manufacturer and the only ones that can be used with a quarter".

Now, the Quarter trick is illegal, but I thought that applied to ANY? Mac-10? Must not? Or did the guy not know what he was talking about.

I was wondering, as I sorta thought they'd be interesting to have, but I have heard alot of bad reviews and alot of good ones, but couldn't really pinpoint a good manufacterer.

Any help?

Thanks.

IdahoG36

The original open bolt Mac 10s that I have seen are EXPENSIVE!! I believe the last time I saw some they were in the $800-$1000 range. I guess they are pretty collectible. The closed bolt Macs are definitely cheaper.

The Masterpiece Arms models currently produced are supposed to be pretty good, from what I've read. I Like the Velocity Arms VMAC-45 electroless nickel plated as far as looks go but have heard nothing about the company.

Always wanted one of these and/or a Tec 9 just because I like the look, maybe a PLR-16 too. My solution though was a 480. OTD GSG-5 carbine I breifly owned last winter. With the SMG looks, chambering, and fun factor ( reliability, good for cheap plinking and utility rimfire duties) saved me from buying an assault pistol (and/or carbine, like a 1927A1), a .22 pistol, other .22 rifle, maybe even airgun. Ended up loaning it to a female friend for HD and she sorta adopted it. I really want another.

The price of these Macs today compared to regular pistols and prospects of a future ban would tempt me if a local shop were to stock them, but know it would sit in my closet, with primary use being showing off to visiting friends. Then again, growing up in the 80's, it's not a lot of money for something you've wanted since a little boy watching Miami Vice.

Quarter trick? Is that involving bump firing? I know the o/b models, pistol and carbine, of RPB M-10s (9/45) M-11 (380) along with the Interdynamics KG-9 and maybe others specifically, in 1982 were forced by the ATF to be redesigned closed bolt, due to how easily the o/b versions could be converted (permanant or temporarily) to FA.

Last edited:

MosinM38

Well...

I guess technically it's sorta like the "Informational kits on converting a 10-22 to full auto" out there, so I should be okay to mention it.

You tape a quarter (I also heard nickel and dimes) between the rear of the trigger and and trigger guard. SUPPOSEDLY, you press back, and it is enough to allow the gun to fire, but not enough to actually allow the semi-auto function to reset.

I guess it's a neat trick, not worth the bother of trying it and getting in trouble. I am curious if that was ever changed, but I dunno.

headbangerJD

I dont know about MAC's, but last week I bought an Ap-9, which is pretty much an improved Tec-9. This gun looks bad-ass, and functions a lot better than I thought it would when considering all the flak it gets. It has some pretty good sights on it as well and isn't all that bad when it comes to accuracy. I am currently looking for another factory 32 round magazine for it because it only came w/ 1.

srt 10 jimbo

Got a Vulcan v10/45 yesturday. I read up on it first and did not see to many positive reviews on it but the guy said the gun was totaly redone by a professinal gun shop and if it didn't work he'd take it back. so gonna try it out tomorrow( If I can find some .45 acp today). will see.:cool:

Microgunner

We have the Masterpiece Arms versions in stock and they are very nice looking (for a MAC). They look solidly built and well fitted. The magazines insert and remove smoothly, not so on many MAC 10 variants I've seen in the past.

Good thing about the Masterpiece (MPA) is they are already set up to handle Sten and M-3 Grease gun mags. Stens are probably still dirt cheap (last I checked, were not FAL & G3 cheap, but under 10 bucks without buying in quantity from a number of places). They also make the .380 Mac-11 sized 9mm mini, a cool little piece never offered by previous mfg. to my knowledge. They should offer a cut down CCW Sten mag like a 15 rounder for it IMO, like the carry mags for the original 11 MP/SMG (maybe also a repro leather holster with external pouches for one full cap mag and silencer would be nice)

Here's the Nickel plated .45 VMAC, small pic but you get the idea. Always loved the looks of nickel Uzis and AR-15 SP-1's, Macs look just as good shiny. I do know .45 ball is too expensive for me to bump fire off purely for fun and entertainment, but if I got one it would have to be the M-10 size and a .45, as much as I like the MPA 930 Mini 9. I think I would be just as happy with a new GSG-5 as a do it all, backdoor gun

Attachments

• vmac45nickel.jpg
    vmac45nickel.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

MosinM38

hmmm.

So far the Masterpiece arms has good reviews :)

It sorta amazes me how cheap those mags are anymore. FOr some reason even with the massive quantities, I would assume Sten and M3 mags would be sky high, if nothing for the fact they are "Antique" ;)

Well, I guess if I ever do get anything like that, probably what I should look for ;) Even though they are unique, in my opinion, a Mac's appeal is solely due to it's looks. BUT......those looks are UGLY :eek:

Grease Gun mags are a little harder to find and more expensive (prolly the same as MPA charges for them), Sten mags are a never ending supply (in good shape mechanically and cosmetically). Especially with the prices of parts kit choppers (including Stens) skyrocketing. I believe there were 6 million Stens manufactured, and how many spares for each. So they're out there. Kel Tec should make a Sub 2000 to take those, be the way to go if you wanted to have 50 hi caps for a carbine.
IIRC both the Sten and M3 mags require a loading tool to load. Stens are 32 rd. capacity, 30 for the .45.

I don't think Macs are ugly, no more than a tank is. It's rugged good looks. The carbines are ugly though, for sure. Dorky looking. MPA is really looking for the mall ninja market with their new carbine variants. They did have a good idea with the side cocking models and that FAL/AR/Suomi drum 9mm carbine they made was cool as hell, too much money for what it was though.

There are sites out there that detail home gunsmithing tricks you can do to improve reliability in these if it becomes an issue. I read a similar one tonight where a guy worked over a Jimenez .380 into what he claims to now trust his life to.

MosinM38

Yeah, I noticed that the other day that Grease Gun mags are getting expensive.

In a way, I'd like to get a Sten clone, but not alot around ;)