Which is most like a series 70 Gold Cup

garryc

Many years ago I owned a Series 70 Gold Cup. I have fired the series 80's but they just didn't have a match trigger like the 70's.

So what gun today compares best to that series 70 Gold Cup. Not that I'm going to buy it because it will likely be well over a grand, but just curious.

DaleA

I'm getting so when someone asks about 1911 pistols I just cut and paste the reply below. In your case I seriously think the Springfield Range Officer would do it for you. $688 at Bud's. (cash discount price, shipping, taxes, FFL fee, finders fee for me, and a tip for the doorman not included.)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...28LP+1911+Range+Officer+7+1+45ACP+5\"+Package

Canned reply:
The 1911 Buyers Guide compiled by Bac1023 can be found here:

http://1911addicts.com/threads/buyer...1-addicts.511/

It's a remarkable reference but maybe a bit overwhelming.

My personal favorite is the Springfield Armory Range Officer and it's well within your price range.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/19...ngeOfficer.htm

It's got adjustable sights (which I like) it's well made, reliable and SA has a good reputation for customer service.

Basically the gun has everything I like and doesn't have extra stuff I don't want to pay more for. YMMV

garryc

That looks sweet Dale. Here's the thing, I've been wanting a 9mm 1911. I cast and lead is getting real hard to get and 9mm burns half the lead of a 45.

Plus I just want one.

I probably need to ask a gun nut pastor this, but is it a sin to buy such a thing in 9mm rather than 45acp?

Could be.

SgtGunner

I have a WC in 9mm as well as an older Kimber Team Match or some such (US Shooting team marketing hype) I love shooting 9mm out of 1911 platform guns. Had I seen this thread 10 years ago I woulda threw up in my mouth a bit.

To answer your original question, I second the Springfield RO....but the most like a series 70 gold cup would be a series 70 gold cup:D:p

JDBerg

The Series 70 Gold Cup National Match is back in production

I probably need to ask a gun nut pastor this, but is it a sin to buy such a thing in 9mm rather than 45acp?

I have a 9mm STI Trojan 9mm and it is a sweet shooter. People will say that a 9mm 1911 is by definition a BHP. I have one of those too. The two of them at the range is a fun time shooting

Last edited:

BigJimP

I'm a big 1911 fan ( been shooting them well over 40 yrs )....and about 15 yrs ago, I started to invest in some 1911's in 9mm.....

1. a Les Baer Monolith ..5" gun... ( series 70)
2. a Kimber Tactical Pro II model ..4"..alloy frame...( series 80)
3. a Wilson Combat - Protector model, 5", all stainless...( one of the finest guns in my safe ) ....and equally as good as my Wilson Combat CQB model in .45 acp....( both series 70 guns )

The two Wilson's are 2 of my top 5 guns...( including the 9mm ) ....and I shoot that gun a lot - I purchased it new in mid 2006 / and to date I have fired over 85,000 rds thru it ....
---------------
While I will always want a 1911 in .45 acp.....I'd be hard pressed not to have at least one in 9mm as well.
--------------
Like someone else said Colt is making the gold cup in a series 70 again.
Colt is making other models in 9mm as well now...about $ 800 or so ...and based on what I've seen they aren't bad guns...but at that price point they've left off some things ( like no checkering on the front strap).

dahermit

I have a 9mm STI Trojan 9mm and it is a sweet shooter. People will say that a 9mm 1911 is by definition a BHP.
Well, besides have a link, not being being a double-stack, not having a magazine safety, not having a pivoting trigger, not having a ramped barrel and having a barrel bushing, yup they are identical.

skizzums

if you took the word Taurus of the name of the Taurus p1911, how does it stand up to the other mid-range models. I saw one at my LGS last week and it was a gorgeous tight fitting piece and was very cose to putting the layaway deposit don on it. but I second thought it just because there is so many in that same price range these days and thought I should do some research. I am kind of Taurus fanboy, but when I finally get a 1911, I want it to be as good as any other. I also tend to prefer a 9mm, but I figure since I am only going to have one 1911, I should go .45 just because, plus I am getting a little bored of casting/loading nothing but plain ol 9mm these days.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/17286

sorry to be off topic rom the OPs specifics, just don't wanna start a new thread to get another opinion on yet another 1911

garryc

I have a PT-1911. I shoots very good but not like the old Gold Cup. Admittedly though, now at 56 I don't shoot as well as I did at 26 when I had it. (Shoot, see, hear.......... it's getting to be a long list.)

JDBerg

Well, besides have a link, not being being a double-stack, not having a magazine safety, not having a pivoting trigger, not having a ramped barrel and having a barrel bushing, yup they are identical.

No those are just Dieudonné Saive's (a Belgian guy's) advancements over JMB's original design - LOL!

Last edited: