Which is more fun? .22LR autoloader or revolver?

Sriracha

Would you rather have an autoloading pistol or revolver for informal, low cost, .22LR plinking?

I realize this question is entirely subjective, but I'd like to hear you folks' opinions anyway.

I note that:
- Capacity doesn't seem to vary too much, since many revolvers can hold 9-10 rounds of .22 LR.
- If you are primarily a revolver vs autoloader shooter, it might be good to get the same type for cheap practice.

Any other observations or advice?

Thanks,
Sriracha

JAYBIRD78

Autos are easier to clean in my opinion.

I own both and I enjoy both. Different strokes for different folks.

Ruger mark II 22/45
Ruger single-six

Note: I lost both in a boating incident. :D

JWT

Agree with Jaybird, both are really lots of fun to plink or target shoot with but I find the semi autos are a lot easier to clean. Nicest thing about them is that the ammo is plentiful and inexpensive to shoot. I generally take at least one to the range each time I go and then put 100 or more rounds through it after practicing with larger calibers.

kraigwy

I think the revolver is most fun, I have a Model 18 Smith thats fun to play with. My auto is a High Standard Victor I use in Bullseye, and bulleyes is hard work.

JMHO

APS

I would have to say that practice with a quality double action .22 revolver will greatly increase your accuracy with any handgun. If you can hit consistently with a double action trigger, anything else is cake. I recommend a Smith in some flavor. I have a 617 10 shot.

freakintoguns

either way its fun! 22lr makes for fun shootign sessions especially where im at because we can go out in the desert and plink, so we set up little competitions using 22s

Singlesix1954

I guess since I have more 22 autos than I do wheelguns in 22. I must like the autos more but do I ? No thats just stupid. One is not more fun than the other they are all rimfires and if you buy one that is acurate you will love to shoot it.

Wuchak

I have both but I think the revolvers are a lot more fun.

Price wise though the autoloaders win out. For under $500 you have a bevy of great semiautos to choose from. Your options for revolvers are very limited.

Adventurer 2

I would rather have the revolver with one note - it needs to have good accuracy.
The revolver gives you the widest 22 ammo selection: 22 primer only, 22 shorts, 22 longs, 22 long rifle, 22 shot shells, I'm probably forgetting something - blanks?
You can learn to shoot better with the revolver by loading a fired casing into a cylinder, rotating without looking, and closing the cylinder - you are going to see your handgun control when you find that already fired round.

B.N.Real

I had a Ruger Mark I and it was a spectacularly accurate semi auto pistol.

Reliable to a fault and really a frikken tack driver.

And-

to me-

It was one of the most boring handguns I have ever owned.

Stupid really,to think like that,but it was.

It did everything right,everything I could ever ask of a 22 semi auto handgun.

(and now I wish I had'nt gotten rid off it:rolleyes:)

Before that,I had a H&R 929 22 LR six inch barrel revolver.

WAY harder to get a good shot out of it.

But when you did,you knew it was all you.

Now I have a S&W 617 revolver stainless six inch heavy barrel.

It's strange really.

Like a Ferrari you hold in your hand.

Yea,I like it.:D

I'll be working till I die but dern it,I own the best 22 LR double action revolver you can buy.

And it's worth every dern penny I paid for it.:D

Tom2

I would go for a revolver too. Not some 600$ deluxe thing, a used reasonable thing like an H&R will suffice for plinking. They can supply good accuracy unless worn out or abused. Nothing to brag about like a nickel plated Smith and Wesson 6 shooter, but you can get 8-9 shots from these. Only on the older ones, I have to wonder if they are safe with a round under the hammer. My 45 year old model 900 hammer nose is inside the frame at rest, but you can thumb it forward to contact the cylinder. Can you say lawyer bait? They must have rectified that later, I hope. But at least there are no ammo issues with a revolver. You can fire anything .22 in it except mag, but the shorter rounds may or may not be accurate. The auto only works with LR and then might jam on some. Pretty accurate for a short barrel revolver. Cheap too. I have owned a several Ruger autos but right now just the H&R is my only .22 handgun. Have had Browning, S&W and the Ruger autos before. The little revolver has a fun factor for sure.

Crosshair

Well, it depends.

An unreliable semi-auto is much more frustrating and harder to fix than an unreliable revolver. My first semi-22 was the MK-II from hell. Would jam at least once per magazine and was a general PITA.:mad: It's in the back of my gun safe. I'm still debating if I should sell it or throw it in the river.

I then got a Taurus 94. I was in heaven. Dead reliable, not the most accurate, but good enough for pinking. DA trigger was really heavy so I shot SA most of the time. Hammer Spur is too small, leading to sore thumbs.:)

I then got a SS 22/45. Dead reliable and accurate with the el-cheapo ammo. Now I was REALLY happy. I then sent it of to be threaded for my TAC-62 suppressor. Now I'm happy AND quiet when I'm out shooting.:D

Smaug

+1 on autos being easier to clean.

I have a 22 revolver, and since the cartridge is about the same size as the case, the charge holes get sticky if you use lead bullets. I suppose the same thing can happen with autos.

I like my Ruger Mk. II over the H&R 22 Special.

erikrichard

I bought a browning Buckmark for my wife, who prefers semis. It's extremely accurate, never jams and holds 10 rounds. The only time I shoot it is when she wants to shoot my single action. If you tend to think tools are fun, you'll probably think the same about semi autos.

woad_yurt

I enjoy DA .22 revolvers way more than .22 semi-autos. The revolvers have more of a kick while the semis feel like they're sort of spitting. I do have one semi, an old Whitney Wolverine, that I like to shoot very much. But, that's because of its looks; it's just so cool looking.

Gazpacho

I gota Taurus 2" snubby that is a hoot to shoot. Also, HKS makes a speed loader for it, making reloads quick and easy. It is surprisingly accurate, but initially utterly unreliable. One trip to the factory fixed that completely. I got some realy nice full rosewood grips.

MrNiceGuy

whoever says it's easier to clean an auto than a revolver must not have a ruger 22lr...

i have quite a few auto 22lr pistols, but only one revolver
its an old clunky POS DA s&w with a worn out cylinder, and it's not very accurate
with every other load i'll have to use a rod to pop out a few of the empty casings.

still... when i go to the range, the revolver always comes.. it's probably the funnest gun to shoot that i own, and it's surprises even me, because i'm just not a revolver fan... unless it's a 22lr revolver