Which is better: an original CZ75 or a CZ75B?

RCS

I'm interested in getting a CZ 75, and I am curious which model is considered to be better, and what are the pros/cons of each. A local shop has a used CZ75 for $359 (rather high, especially for a used gun), or I can buy a new 75B from Empire for $339 + transfer. I'm thinking that Empire would probably be the better route.

Walt Sherrill

If the used, older CZ-75 is in good shape, it's probably the better gun. Try the trigger on both of them, at least. My 75 needed a little trigger work (but would probably have smoothed out on its own).

Everyone I've talked with that has used an older CZ-75 raves about the guns, noting especially the fit, polish, etc.

I have both a new C-75B and a newer CZ-85B Combat (Nickel); I love the guns. The 85 is probably close to the quality of the older 75s.

I'd go with the newer CZ75B on the principle that it costs less since I can't see paying more money for a used gun which is virtually the same.

Dennis Kroh at Empire is quite a guy.

Tecolote

it depends how old of a CZ you're talking about. There are major differences depending on year of manufacture. The first CZs, roughly 1500 made, had a round trigger guard, rowel hammer, and the frame dust cover extended nearly to the muzzle and deep blueing. These boast some of the hardest (but no brittle) steel ever used in a production pistol. The next group still have a round trigger guard and rowel hammer. The dust cover was shortened to the now familiar pattern, the steel hardness was reduced and a half cock safety was added. These CZs also has distinctive grips-with kidney shaped rectangles along the back, large stipples everywhere else and a large CZ logo towards the trigger area. After this CZ made major changes to the design. The back strap's shape was made rounder and the tail was lengthened, I've got no idea why as hammer bite was never a problem. To get an idea of the early CZs backstrap look at a Witness pistol as these have retained the original shape. The shape of the slide release and safety were also changed. The next set of CZ75s saw even more changes, the hammer was changes to spur style and the trigger guard was made square. The latest encarnation is of course the CZ75B with the passive firing pin safety added.

Another thing to keep in mind are import stamps. If the pistol has none then it's probably an early model. Among the importers that I can recall off hand are Action Arms and Magnum Research. There was also a Canadian firm that imported them for later sale in the US.

A couple of variations that are out there to keep an eye open for are the early military model, a pistol that supposedly was never made. These sport cobby wooden grips and a lanyad loop at the base of the grip. The lanyard loop is octagonal. These pistols are completely sterile, no serial numbers or place or origin anywhere. I've read about these but I've never actually handled one. The other is a military model ientical to the early CZs except for a lanyard loop.

If it says Made in Czechoslovakia, has a round trigger guard, spur hammer, and extended dust cover the price asked is a bargain. If it says Made in Czechoslovakia and has a rounded trigger guard, rowel hammer and unchanged back strap it's still a good price. Anything after these and you're better off getting a new one.

If you want me to email you some pics of an early CZ75 let me know.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited May 15, 2000).]

RCS

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out the next time I'm at the store. So is the fit/finish/accuracy of these earlier pistols that much better than the new ones? From a "looks" point of view, I honestly have to say I prefer the 75B. The addition of night sights sweetens the deal as well.

Conservative

You didn't mention which magazines come with the pistol. If the old one has the 15 round mags buy it. Genuine CZ 15 rnd mags frequently cost $75+ each. I also feel that the fit & finish on the 75 is better than the 75B.

However either gun is worlds better than anything else in the price range. CZ's point great and my CZ seems to always want to hit the target.

B Shipley

empirearms.com

Dennis Kroh

EMPIRE ARMS . . . 95 Seminole Ave . . . Ormond Beach, FL 32176
Phone (904) 677-7314 . . . . FAX (904) 677-7324

The #3 rated surplus/collectible dealer (his prices are a little high, but he sells top notch stuff) according to Tuco's poll.

deguello

hey tecolote,
i have one of the ones made in czech, but there's no half-cock safety. also, the grip just has regular stipples and a small cz logo near the bottom. it's not one of the old ones with the full length frame, i'm not sure when it was made but the factory test target was dated 1989. are you sure they had half-cock safeties before the import ones? also, do you know if there are any internal differences? thanks

legion

Hi Deguello - as for the half-cock safety notch, I can say that there definetly is one on my 1984 construction CZ-75. It is Czechoslovak manufacture, obviously, with pre-Action Arms and Magnum Research importer's marks. Mine seems to have been imported by "Bauska" in Kalispell, MT.
It's a really wonderfully made pistol - I would love to find another one for the price I picked up mine for (about $350 used...it was sitting on the gunstore shelf for YEARS!)
Unfortunately, the other stores around me charge outrageously high prices for Czechoslovak manufactured CZ's - @ $600.00 in rough shape, and upwards of $1000.00 (!) for a NIB Bauska-imported CZ.
Needless to say, if you can find one of these beauties for a resonable price - grab it. Because at least around me (CT), they command a real premium. Perhaps not justified, but most of the stores that have them don't budge an inch on price.

Tecolote

Deguello,

Your pistol should defintetely have a half cock safety. Making sure the pistol is unloaded pull back on the hammer. It should have two rests-one all the way to the rear and one half way between full cock and uncocked. Other than what I stated I can't remember more about internal changes off hand.

Legion,

Basuka was the early importer as you state. You really have high prices in your area. Is there a large CZ club nearby? You got a good price on the Basuka. I've only seen really trashed ones go for less. And yes they're real gems. Way smoother and tighter tolerances than the current crop.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited May 17, 2000).]

deguello

mine wasn't imported, i got it in germany. does anybody know if the imported ones were different. there's definitely no half-cock safety on mine. if you go to half-cock the safety can not be engaged and the gun can still be fired double action.

Mike Davies

I don't think anyone's mentioned that the year of manufacture of a CZ75 is stamped right on the gun; right behind the ejection port on the right side of the slide, just above the extractor, inside a small oval.
My CZ75 was manufactured in '86..has a rounded trigger guard, a 'spur' hammer, "Made in Czechoslovakia" stamped on the frame and a black 'polymer' finish. Nice pistol; Quite a shooter.
I paid $350 Canadian for it a few months ago...that's about $230 American. :)
Mike/BC

legion

Tecolote -

Where I am in CT (Southwest corner of the state) you are really hard pressed to find ANY CZ pistols. I'm not sure if they're seen as second-class firearms around here, or if they just plain don't sell, but you see everything in the stores BUT CZs. You'll find a dozen H&K SOCOM pistols and thirty Les Baer 1911's before one little CZ of any model. Heck, I never even laid eyes on a CZ-100 until a month ago! Of course, being in CT also means the stores are swamped with Rugers and (yecch) S&W's, but you'd think the stores could stock a couple models...especialy the stores that have the big ol' "CZ Stocking Dealer" sticker on their window. :)
Equally hard to find are any single action revolvers that aren't Rugers. I don't know where they sell 'em, but it's sure not here.

Tecolote

Deguello,

No. It doesn't matter where you bought your CZ, the pistols are the same for the year made. CZ has been making major changes to their pistol to try to get a larger share of the US market in the last few years. The half cock safety was introduced a few years after the original model. The models without the half cock feature and the short slide rails were made between 1975 and 1980. After 1980 the slide rails were lengthened and the half cock feature was added.

------------------

RCS

Umm, in response to one of legion's posts, I was under the impression that all CZ's new and old are of Czechoslovak manufacture. If you look at a new CZ-75B it states "Made in Czechoslovakia" right on the left hand side.
Correct me if I am wrong.

legion

Hi RCS -

When I mentioned that my CZ-75 was of Czechoslovak manufacture, I was attempting to specify the time that it was made, and not necissarily the place. Back in '84 there actually WAS a Czechoslovakia, and now, after the dissolution of that country, there is the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Two seperate countries. I was under the impression that newer CZs would say "Made In Czech Republic" or something along those lines. "Czechoslovakia" only existed from October, 1918 through December, 1992. So unless CZ is using outdated stamping, there is no "Czechoslovakia" for a post-1992 CZ to be from.
Hope this clears up my previous statement.

Gregg

RCS, the newer CZ-75s say "MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC" on the slide. My CZ 75B came with a electronically generated test target dated "30/09/96" The majority of posts I've read from owners of the older CZ-75s say the older 75s are better, smoother trigger for example, than those made after the fall of the commies. If the CZ you found is the older model jump on it if it is in reasonable shape. I have found the CZ-75 to be about the most comfortable pistol I own. It seems to fit my large hand well.