Which is Better: 6 .40s or 7 9s?

Which is Better: 6 .40s or 7 9s?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I find myself again in the market for a deep concealment weapon with a bit more power than my Ruger LCP. After some disappointing experiences with a Kel-Tec PF-9, I've settled on a Walther PPS.

Since the PPS comes in .40S&W with a 5-rd. magazine or 9mm with a 6-rd. magazine, I'm now wondering which would be the best option for a SD gun. Ammo cost isn't really a factor, and I can shoot the .40 well enough in the small platform. Years ago, I opted for an 8-shot .32ACP over a 7-shot .380ACP because back then, all that was available was FMJ rounds. I recently switched my "always" gun to the .380 because modern .380 SD rounds are far more effective than the old FMJs, while the .32 hasn't improved that much.

Modern premium 9mm and .40S&W ammo choices are both very effective, so I'm soliciting opinions on whether it's better to have 1 more shot with a slightly less powerful round, or 1 less shot with a somewhat more effective round.

Would value your choice and rationale.

Thanks!

EdInk

When using premium SD ammo the difference in performance between the two
rounds is marginal with even some overlap. Go with the 9mm because more ammo is more ammo. It's cheaper to practice and available in more models of guns. Also, I would suggest that you look into the Kahr pistols.

Now if you want to start a .45 vs 9mm thread.... DON'T! It's been done just go do search for the results of that spitting into the wind contest.

AustinTX

I'd get the 9mm PPS. Actually, I did get the 9mm PPS.

If you want the power, the Walther will handle +P just fine. If you go with a standard-power 9mm JHP, less recoil and muzzle flash will mean faster follow-up shots and less obscured vision at night. Then there's having that extra round, too.

DonutGuy

I voted the 9mm even though the .40 makes a bigger hole...but for me the .40 is too snappy and makes for slower follow up shots...the 9mm fixes that.

.40cal

I love the 40. I love the 9mm. That being said, the best advice I can give is to choose the one that you are most comfortable with. Choose the one that you, yourself can shoot accurately. If there is a range that you can rent one of each and spend some decent time on paper tagets then you will have your answer.

I can shoot both calibers equally well, but thats me. Theres alot of folks out there that can shoot the 9mm better than the 40, and I'm sure somewhere there are those that feel more comfortable shooting the 40 over the 9mm.

Different platforms will handle the 40's recoil differently, but for the most part, the recoil between the two are not that different in a full size weapon. The 40 has always felt a little snappy in a sub compact vs the 9mm. It's important to know where the difference comes from as well. The 40 is throwing a projectile that is 30 to 40 grns heavier than the 9mm at roughly the same velocity. - Hope this helps!:D

WVfishguy

I bought the 9mm PPS even though the .40 S&W is my favorite semi-auto caliber.
000_0059.jpg

I have several .40s, and they KICK! I'm used to stiff recoiling handguns - my favorite is a S&W Model 57, .41 magnum:
000_0001-4.jpg

Or my 629 no dash. But with a tiny little pistol like the PPS, 9mm is the most powerful round with which I'm comfortable (no dangling participles here!) :p
At any rate, the new-fangled 9mm rounds are down-right deadly, accurate and provide easy follow-up shots. Plus, the 9mm is a lighter cartridge, which is important if you carry a PPs all day in an IWB holster all day.

B.N.Real

40 Smith-you want to encourage the bad guy to stop what he's doing with the least amount of shooting.

If you are recoil sensitive then 9mm but the 40 can be mastered if you work at it.