Which has less felt recoil? 22 mag, 32 mag

Joe the Redneck

I am debating between getting 22 mag or 32 mag snubbie. Which one is easier too shoot? Ammo cost is not an issue.

I find the 38 in a snubbie a bit much for one handed shooting.

Thanks

Joe

CraigC

The .22Mag makes a lot of noise but has almost no recoil. The .32H&R makes a little more noise and produces a little more recoil. Both are beyond pleasant, with proper hearing protection of course. ;)

Lloyd Smale

32 mag shoots twice the bullet weight at about the same speed so in the same weight gun its pretty obvious which is going to recoil more. But keep in mind both are very mild recoiling and both are loud enough that your going to need ear plugs so thats a wash.

fishmagnet

22 32?

I have both and enjoy shooting them equally.

Just picked up some ammo yesterday.

Federal .32 H&R - Box of 20 $15.95 ($10.95 six months ago)

Winchester .22mag - Box of 50 $12.95 ($9.95 six months ago)

Reminder: .32 H&R mag ammo can be tricky to locate, and supplies are oftentimes limited to just a few boxes on the shelf, though you could always order a large quantity from an on-line supplier. :cool:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
.22WMR has much less felt recoil than .32 H&R (what with its projectiles weighing less than half as much) but definitely produces much more sturm und drang at the muzzle, since it is a rifle cartridge and most of its powder is still burning long after the projectile has exited the stubby pistol tube.

CraigC

I hear that argument often, intended to deride the utility of the cartridge in a handgun but the truth is the .22Mag does not lose any more velocity from a sixgun than any other magnum pistol cartridge. Typically 300-400fps. "Rifle" cartridges like this still use slow burning pistol powders. In the case of the .17HMR, Hodgdon's Lil' Gun, a shotgun powder applicable to magnum handgun loads.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
CraigC said:
I hear that argument often, intended to deride the utility of the cartridge in a handgun but the truth is...

But the truth is that I was explaining why .22WMR has a lot of blast and flash our of a J-frame, nothing more. I wasn't trying to "deride" anybody's Favorite Cartridge®. :)

funon1

Assuming exact same size, weight, BBL

The .32 H&R kicks harder, but not as much as .38. The .32 is a heckuva lot more gun, suitable for small game, target, and self-defense. The .22 is good for plinking and small game.

Funon1