Which handguns do you think will be discontinued soon?

Kurbsky

I have always wanted to buy a Browning High Power pistol but kept delaying it. Now it's no longer produced. What other handguns do you think will be discontinued soon?

Mosin44az

As Hi Powers go, the Tisas Regent sounds like a pretty good substitute.

.40 caliber options seem to keep declining, along with metal frames.

lee n. field

I've suspected for a while that the Springfield XD will be phased out, in favor of variations of the Hellcat (itself a development of the XDS).

44 AMP

Staff
I can't, and won't try to name any specific models, simply because it is all a matter of each individual makers' decisions and there are way to many factors involved to make any kind of reasonable prediction.

The one common factor seems to be money. And by that I mean sales. And PROFIT for the people who own the companies that make them.

Sit down and make a list of all the good or even great guns and cartridges you can think of that have been discontinued. It won't be a short list.

Forte S+W

I can't think of anything in particular that seems likely to be discontinued if it has any popularity to its name. Even older designs which are often exaggerated as "obsolete" like the 1911, Beretta 92 Series, Walther PPK, CZ75, various SIG pistols, and Revolvers in general seem to be going strong long after they've fallen out of use by Military/Law Enforcement.

.40cal pistols seem to be dropping left and right, although I think that at the very least Smith & Wesson as well as Glock will continue to manufacture guns chambered in the .40 S&W cartridge.

Kurbsky

I agree with Mosin44... and would add that in metal frames steel frames will be first to go, guns like CZ 75 Compact. Alloy frames are lighter and may have better luck.

TruthTellers

NAA Guardian. It's not NAA's bread and butter and for them to use their time to produce those guns would be better served to focusing on the revolvers instead. The design is antiquated anyway, it belongs in the 90s.

Kel Tec P3AT. It's outclassed by most other .380s available and the price for them new isn't anything to write home about, plus with all the enhanced single stack 9mm's like the p365 and Taurus GX4 and now the LCP Max out now for someone to spend $200 on a .380 Kel Tec is a waste.

I think Kel Tec's new P50 won't be around long. At a grand and it's weird reloading situation I don't see people buying it.

Ruger EC9s will be gone soon.

I'm getting worried the Beretta Px4 will be going soon as well. It's been 17 years since it was released and DA/SA is no longer popular for semi autos and thick double stack polymer pistols are also not what are selling. Only reason I can see Beretta still making them is because they also make the Cx4 carbine.

Actually I would spend $200 on a Keltec 380 or LCP Gen 2 much faster than I would a Ruger MAX 380, especially for a whopping $369.00 for a Max. And get a nice DAO trigger to boot. And for sure, my single stacks Micro9mm's are NOT going anywhere. Might want to check. The Keltec 380 and the Gen2 have been around before the LCPll and still going strong.
And not to mention the Keltec P32. still a big winner over the Fat Max.

I will agree that the Ruger 57 might be discontinued. It would seem reasonable since there is a Ammo shortage going on and that caliber was hard to find when times were good.

Last edited:

Trevor

Re: The Beretta PX4. See Beretta's Military and Law Enforcement page. For pistols it lists the APX and the M9. It does not present the PX4. This absence may be an indication of things to come for the civilian market. While the PX4 has a following, especially the compact version, I can see where Beretta would drop it in favor of the APX line, which is more modular and has a consistent trigger pull.

Last edited:

lee n. field

Ruger EC9s will be gone soon.

Because of the Max 9?

Then, add to the list any of the single stack micro guns by manufacturers that have gotten on the P365/Hellcat bandwagon. Easy enough to ship a version with limited capacity magazines for those states with magazine limits.

XDS line, for instance, not looking so healthy now.

7.62 man

One of mine already has been discontinued it's a Star M-40 Firestar. The .40 S&W round I don't think will be around long ether, it's already getting hard to find.

TruthTellers

Because of the Max 9?

Then, add to the list any of the single stack micro guns by manufacturers that have gotten on the P365/Hellcat bandwagon. Easy enough to ship a version with limited capacity magazines for those states with magazine limits.

XDS line, for instance, not looking so healthy now.
The EC9s was built solely to be a cheaper alternative of the LC9s. IDK what it's selling for now, maybe $250, but for $50 more one can get a Taurus GX4 or for $150 more the Maxx 9.

I don't see the single stack polymer 9's sticking around another few years. I mean, if someone goes into a store for a small 9mm and they have the option of 7 rds with one and 10 or 12 rds for another and it's only an 1/8" wider, why wouldn't they go with the higher cap pistol?

Really, what is out there in a single stack polymer 9mm that is an absolute must have or is unique? Maybe the Stinkfield XD-E with the DA/SA trigger, maybe the PF9 because it's so cheap.

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

The EC9s was built solely to be a cheaper alternative of the LC9s. IDK what it's selling for now, maybe $250, but for $50 more one can get a Taurus GX4 or for $150 more the Maxx 9.

I don't see the single stack polymer 9's sticking around another few years. I mean, if someone goes into a store for a small 9mm and they have the option of 7 rds with one and 10 or 12 rds for another and it's only an 1/8" wider, why wouldn't they go with the higher cap pistol?

Really, what is out there in a single stack polymer 9mm that is an absolute must have or is unique? Maybe the Stinkfield XD-E with the DA/SA trigger, maybe the PF9 because it's so cheap.
I bought my lc9s for $360 when they first came out. Now they are in the $550 range and they now have the economy model in that 360 price range slot. Seems shady to me.

Actually there are a lot of folks that prefer the single stacks. I actually liked the LC9S and only got rid of it because the trigger had become too light. But if triggers were the same and I liked the trigger I would own choose the LC9S over the Max 9. 1/8 difference? That IMO is a lot. One of the nice things about he LC9S was the slim design. I doubt single stacks are going anywhere in the future. Just too many people out there that do not want a double stack Micro. What I think would be interesting is more single stacks 9mm, but built lighter in weight. Even smaller in size. Now that would be innovation. If Ruger made a lighter Micro 9mm. Better quality, modular take down etc. That would be a winner. And make it a single stack.

TruthTellers

Fully agree. Often the only pistol in the case and only ammo on the shelf.
The new Turkish made High Powers are decent guns, so the HP isn’t gone.
The novelty of 5.7 wears off fast when people see how much shooting 100 rds of it costs compared to 9mm. Then they realize that yeah, less recoil, but also less power and effect on target. The biggest advantage that 5.7 has is the soft armor defeating and the flatter trajectory, but those are seldom factors when the likely defensive shooting will be at 7 yards against a shirtless drunk or meth tweaker.

When they came out I was figuring the market was going to have plenty of used 57's on the shelves and that's going to cause Ruger to halt production for a while.

What I think Ruger may do with the 57 is use the frame and make a single stack .357 Magnum. More than enough length in the grip frame to fit.

TruthTellers

Actually there are a lot of folks that prefer the single stacks. I actually liked the LC9S and only got rid of it because the trigger had become too light. But if triggers were the same and I liked the trigger I would own choose the LC9S over the Max 9. 1/8 difference? That IMO is a lot. One of the nice things about he LC9S was the slim design. I doubt single stacks are going anywhere in the future. Just too many people out there that do not want a double stack Micro. What I think would be interesting is more single stacks 9mm, but built lighter in weight. Even smaller in size. Now that would be innovation. If Ruger made a lighter Micro 9mm. Better quality, modular take down etc. That would be a winner. And make it a single stack.
1/8" was a generic size I, the Max 9 is 1/20" thicker than the LC9. You are right about the slimness of the LC9 being one of its appeals, it was/is an exceptionally flat pistol and when I saw the Max 9 was less than a tenth of an inch thicker I was impressed.

While the PF9 seems to be a dumpsterfire of a pistol, the one thing I like about it is its light weight and I would like to see Ruger make a lighter single stack 9mm that actually works and doesn't have a trigger as stiff as a corpse after rigor sets in.