Which Gun?

lizziedog1

You are out hunting rabbits in an area of heavy brush and vegatation. It is so thick that you can hardly get a shot off. The trail you are on is narrow, but it allows you to walk around. In your hands is a 20 gauge double barrel shotgun loaded with low-base 8's. On your hip is a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 magnum. As you are walking a sound catches your attention.

There is something moving in brush near you. You can't see it, but is a large creature of some sort. You think it might be your dog, except he is next you. In this area the animal making the noise could be one of several. There are deer and cows around there, either of which wouldn't be a big deal. However, mountain lions and bear are not unkown here. Heck, it could be another hunter and/or his dog. Whatever it is, it is giving you the willies.

How would you handle your gun situation? Would you have the shotgun on ready in case something wants to make a meal of you or would you draw the revolver and have it ready?

Dwight55

A double 20 ga, even with low brass 8's is a formidable weapon up close. Point blank shooting will result in a slug like performance out to at least 10 feet.

You also have two shots right together (with double triggers) or one after another with single trigger, . . . plus you then have 6 followups in the revolver.

I'd hang on to the shotty until it was empty.

May God bless,
Dwight

Bruno2

Shotty hands down. Then of course the pistol. I wouldnt empty the pistol until it looked as though I would have to. Then a reload would be back to the shotty.

30-30remchester

I have to disagree with a few above. I actually shot a small coyote at 2 feet from the muzzle, using HIGH BRASS #8's in a 20 guage. The shot hit it in top of the head and no pellets entered the brain. NONE. I skinned the skull out and boiled it and no damage was done other than a crack. I dont know what actually killed the 19 pound coyote. I guessed it was blunt force trauma. So though the 357 Magnum is far from ideal as a defense round for heavy game it does offer penatration that the 20 guage does not. Penatration and placement are the only criterias of quick takedown. I shot a small mule deer in the butt 3 times, at @ 10 yards, that was inside my fenced sapling trees.I was again using a 20 guage loaded with HIGH BRASS #8's. Fifteen minuted later, feeling remorse, I decieded to follow up and finish him off if nessasary. As I opened the front door the same deer was back in the same trees finishing off my saplings. I know it was him he had a 2 big patches of hair missing from his butt. I was snowing heavily and after chasing him off I inspected where he had been and no sign of blood, just hair.

hardworker

The load of 8's hit the coyote hard enough to crack his skull. I'd call that stopping power. Imagine if you got hit on the head with a night stick so hard it cracked your skull.

30-30remchester

HARDWORKED, that coyote was only 19 pounds, about the size of a small dog. The shot wouldnt even draw blood on a deer. Many ambulance drivers that have transported gunshot victums of shotgun birdshot woulds almost universally report the victum was alive, concious, and many walking around saying "boy that stings". And remember I was using the most potent magnum load not a low power load. The crack in the skull had to be looked at closely to see. I have seen bear skulls hit with large shot from a 12 guage that survived and had to be killed with another round. Swatting something hard but not disabling, is a good way to see how many people care enough to go to your funeral, IMHO. Anyway have a good day and have fun in here I know I do.

FrankenMauser

Gut instinct says to keep the shotgun ready, but remember the pistol.

To give more reason to the choice....
If I had a 20 ga SxS or OU, it wouldn't have a sling on it. If I don't want to use the shotty, I have to hold it in my off hand, or drop it on the ground. That, right there, prevents me from having full mobility and dexterity. If I draw the pistol I handicap myself.

Keep the pistol available, but keep the shotgun ready and on target (provided the shaking bush has been judged appropriately to not be another hunter, etc).

Kreyzhorse

Uh, shotgun? Up close even a 20ga should be able to discourage a critter from making a meal out of you with a blast to the face.

I wouldn't forget the revolver however if the mauling starts.

Gun......

If there is bear and big cats there I'd seriously consider a revolver chambered for 44 mag or even better the 454 casull ! A 454 will take a grizzly in 2 hits and a mountain lion with one. Why take the chance ? Get no smaller than a 5 inch barrel in a 454, seven inches is optimum !

roy reali

re:lizziedog1

You think it might be your dog, except he is next you.

I would also look to see how my dog is reacting. I was hunting in an area of scattered brush. There was this one brush area that my dog refused to go near. She would pause, stare at it, and growl. I decided to give that brush wide berth.

Freedom Fighter

If there is bear and big cats there I'd seriously consider a revolver chambered for 44 mag or even better the 454 casull ! A 454 will take a grizzly in 2 hits and a mountain lion with one. Why take the chance ? Get no smaller than a 5 inch barrel in a 454, seven inches is optimum !

You must be joking. A .357 magnum snubbie can handle anything that might come out of that brush. Besides, if you shoot a .44 mag or, God-Forbid, a .454 Casull, you will suffer grave injuries from the recoil.

Bruno2

I am adding this. If the dog chooses not fight with you against the bear and you kill the bear after a big life and death struggle with it which caliber do you use on the dog?