which gun to use??

old fart

i recently got a good deal from my gun shop, i traded my charters for rugers. i have a sp101 3 inch stainless, and a gp100 4 inch blue, my question is which should i carry and which to keep at home? i will be carrying on farm, hikes, and carrying open here in kentucky, the other gun will stay at home in case someone there needs it. i would also like to know which ammo would be best for 4 legged, and two legged varmints? thanks for any help.

deputy tom

Oh,and to address the ammo issue I use .38 SPL. 158 gr. LSWCHPs for everything but your choice might be different.tom.:)

maustypsu

ditto

That recommendation makes sense. If you don't mind the weight and someone at home feels more comfortable with the smaller sp 101, then you might want to reverse that. But for most instances I'd carry the sp 101 and leave the GP 100 at home.

Two nice handguns. I've looked at both several times but have managed to keep my money in my pocket. I've got a Super Redhawk from Ruger and love it.

Terry A

[/maustypsu That recommendation makes sense. If you don't mind the weight and someone at home feels more comfortable with the smaller sp 101, then you might want to reverse that. But for most instances I'd carry the sp 101 and leave the GP 100 at home.

Two nice handguns. I've looked at both several times but have managed to keep my money in my pocket. I've got a Super Redhawk from Ruger and love it. QUOTE]

This is a good reply. I like the 6 shot at home, although when O.F. is home, he'll have a nice pair to work with!

Maustypsu, you really can't go wrong getting the GP100. What a solid handgun! It's my favorite revolver. Ruger IS loaded with quality weapons.

Shadi Khalil

If you have a good enough belt and holster and your comfortable with it, carry that GP!

Personally, I would probably carry the SP101 but I am a big advocate of the biggest gun you can hide, comfortably. Good luck and welcome!

plom

If it's for open carry I will take the gp 100 and load it with either 357 mag gold dot or golden saber 125 grs.

Skan21

I personally like the 2 1/2 inch SP101 in .327 magnum for concealed wheelgun use. I think that if you just want to tote it around in the backwoods, the 4 inch gp 100 would be best. I love rugers as a whole, but my favorite backcountry gun for NH is the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. I load the first three chambers with .454 casull, and the next three with .45 colt. Cause lets face it, if I can get away with it, i'm not going to shoot anything but a bear with those .454's!

Wolfeye

ammo recommendations

I'd say .38+p 158 gr hp or .357 125 gr hp for 2-legged defense, and either 180 or 200 gr .357 hardcasts for 4-legged defense. I'd much rather pack my SP101 for hiking than a heavier GP100. The GP says "house gun" to me. :)