Which gun to take elk hunting?

TCman

I have an opportunity to go on a elk hunt this fall. I do not know how thick the woods will be in the area that Im goin to. I would guess 200 yds and less. I have a few guns that will work, but want to take one as a primary and one as a back up. Primary will be a Rem 700 ADL 30-06. I dont know what ammo to load the 700 with but I will figure that out later. As for a back up I have to choose between my favorite gun to hunt with, my TC Omega .50 muzzleloader, a 12 ga 870 smooth bore slug with rifle sights, 20 ga 870 with rifled slug barrel with rifle sights, or a Savage 220 20ga bolt action with scope. I am thinking the .50 would be the best. The only big game I hunt with it is whitetail and I load it with 250 bonded bullet and 3 777 pellets. I have shot it out to 200 yards, but I have no Idea as to what it takes to bring down an elk.

tachunter

If you are going out of state a back up is a good idea. Actually it really isn't a bad idea where ever you go. Take the .50. First choice 06.

30-30remchester

I was an elk guide for 9 years and have hunted them for 45 years, and the 30-06 is an excellent elk cartridge if proper bullet is used. I am a Nosler Partion fan and prefer 180 grain in the 06. Any time you travel far or are in a deep camp a back-up firarms is advised. Cant count the number of broken scopes and guns I have witnessed. Acording to ballistics chart the 20 guage is coming up shy of nessasary killing power and range so I would suggest the 50. However I have never shot any big game with a 20 ga.

grubbylabs

Well I think that most any thing you take would be fine as far as the center fire goes. However depending on the area you are going to hunt I would practice longer than 200 yards. Not that I would suggest a 500 yard shot but out here in Idaho the right person with the right gun could sure take a long shot. I would consider the muzzle loader fist for a secondary gun be find out what the regs are for your hunt before you take it. Again here in Idaho if your using a muzzle loader you might not be able to use the your TC. If your going to take a back up gun I would see about borrowing another center fire. a 270, 243, 25.06 any thing like that will bring down elk you just have to know the gun and keep the distance realistic.

taylorce1

Where are you elk hunting? You shouldn't need a back up rifle to your .30-06, just make sure your scope is rugged and holds zero. Make sure you check your zero when you get to where you are hunting.

As far as bullets go you shouldn't need anything heavier than a 180 grain for even the largest bull elk. A premium bullet will give you a little extra insurance, but if you go with Barnes TSX/TTSX bullets drop down to at least 165 grain for the extra FPS for reliable expansion. I killed my first elk with plain old .30-06 180 grain Winchester Power Points no problem.

Just practice a lot from field positions at the range. Sitting, kneeling, prone, and off hand, if you can incorporate improvised rests such as a day pack or shooting sticks as well into your practice. Practice using a sling as well to improve your shooting. Bench shooting is fine to find which ammunition shoots well in your rifle, but you will not find a bench when hunting elk.

Elk are tough, but they are not bullet proof. Taking out the lungs takes them down pretty quick. Some guys like to break shoulders, I don't see the need as I've never had a lung shot elk run more than a few yards. Where you will have problems is if you have to shoot elk already on the move. Just keep shooting until they go down is my best advice.

I don't know about hunting rifle season hunting with a ML but in Colorado during ML season there are a few rules that you will find quite different from IN. First one is no sabots, bullets must be full bore and length can not exceed twice the bore diameter, so for a .50 cal you can't be longer than 1" with conicals. Powerbelts are legal for now. No pelletized powders, BP substitutes are fine but must be granular. No optics allowed, so trade in that scope for a peep site. Make sure you know the firearm rules for where you will be hunting before you go.

Last edited:

grubbylabs

taylorce1 is right I have killed them with arrows and I know quite a few who have killed them with arrows, I don't know of an archer who tries to shoulder shoot a elk or deer, If you pop the lungs they are going down no need in ruining good meat. Buy the way spikes don't look as cool on the wall but they eat much better than any other elk I have ever had. So if it comes down to the last minute and your just looking to fill a tag and not hang something on the wall, a spike would be my first choice above all else. Yummy yummy yummy.

Big Bill

Your 30-06 will work well with 180 gr ammo. I like Federal Fusion 180 gr ammo for elk. If you take a backup, take a 30-30 Marlin with open sights if you can. 30-30 has killed lots of elk.

oneounceload

Your 06 will do fine -personally, I preferred my 7 mag. either way, a back up scope already zeroed in detachable mounts, spare bolt, maybe some duct tape or resin glue for a plastic stock in a form of hunt-saver kit will cover 99.99% of the issues without a second gun.

I would think that if you are going out of state, that you are not going alone, and others will have guns as well, so things should be fine

elkman06

spare bolt
Dang, if my rifle is so unreliable that I have to have spare parts....I need another brand of rifle. This isn't an old worn out Chebby, well or Jeep for that matter. One solid bolt action rifle chambered in 06 will do just fine.
elkman06

bcarver

detactable rings

rather than carry an extra rifle I would "bullet-proof" my rig.

get one piece bases(QD Leopold), Locktite the bases, lap the rings.
clean the rifle, tighten and torque all screws,get a wrench or screwdriver for all screws, sight in an extra good 6x fixed scope.

Carry both scopes in a Pelican style case.(as carry-on if you fly).
carry a cleaning rod,patches and solvent in case barrel gets stuck into ground.

FrankenMauser

rather than carry an extra rifle I would "bullet-proof" my rig.

get one piece bases(QD Leopold), Locktite the bases, lap the rings.
clean the rifle, tighten and torque all screws,get a wrench or screwdriver for all screws, sight in an extra good 6x fixed scope.

Carry both scopes in a Pelican style case.(as carry-on if you fly).
carry a cleaning rod,patches and solvent in case barrel gets stuck into ground.

What happens when that freak broken firing pin sneaks up on you? It would seem silly, at that point, to be carrying a spare scope...

A spare rifle is the only way my family travels. Usually, I have three. My brothers typically roll with 2-3 each, and my father 3-5 spares (plus 1 for his wife, if she comes).

We try to tailor things to the anticipated terrain, but sometimes - you have to bring the whole (appropriate) arsenal. (We have "all weather" rifles, brush rifles, short range rifles, long range rifles, beater rifles, and our go-to rifles.)

TCMan - the '06 is a perfectly fine for Elk. I would suggest a 165gr+ projectile, preferably in a controlled-expansion design (TSX, Partition, Fail-Safe, etc. are great; but no Accubonds - they failed horribly in my family's experience).

What to take as your backup gun is a tough call, not knowing where you're hunting. As a general guess, I'd say to take the Muzzle loader. It should be decent enough, and gives you more range than the shotguns.

.308shooter

The 06 will work great. Pick a round for it, it doesn't really matter which, they will all work. Get a good zero on it. Take a back up if you want, hell take 2 if it gives you peace of mind. Have fun on your hunting trip and good luck.

sc928porsche

Your 06 will work fine. Especially at 200 yds. 180gr bullet is about the best for elk in that chambering.

For back up, take the .50 muzzle loader. It too will work well on elk out to 200 yards.

30-30remchester

ELKMANO6 while I entirely agree with you that unreliable firearms are not serious hunting arms and while I am not a Remington 700 fan they are reliable enough. The need for a second hunting rifle isnt as much reliability as the main gun could get damaged. While hunting for so many years I have seen countless broken scopes, loose scope bases, broken stocks, and have had horses roll over on them, a horse kick one,twice, get dropped in creeks, dropped out of moving vechiles, left on top of hunting cars till they fell off, pinned under an overturned atv,and I know you wont believe it but I swear its true, I had a friend get his rifle stuck an a car antena barrel down, and had to drive back to camp leaning out the window holding onto his rifle while another hunter hung onto him. By the way what part of Wyoming you from?