Which for BUG?

'75Scout

I don't like polymer framed guns and I need to pick a good BUG for on duty use and off duty use when I don't want to/can't carry my Sig 220. The catch is it has to be on the authorized weapons list. If the Rohrbaughs are not allow (and that is very likely) my other options are an airweight S&W 357 Mag. The Models are the 340 or 360 and I like the newest models with the stainless steel cyclinders and yet they still weigh 13.3oz unloaded. I will likely carry 38spl +P in it

The other choice is a Kahr MK9. It is heavier, but holds 2 more rounds and is +P+ capable. Although the entire Kahr line has much worse reputation than the S&W wheelgun line. And being a sub-compact semi it is far more likely to have a failure than the S&W.

Also I plan on buying a S&W Model 60 for the wifey because she can't rack the slide on any auto so the J-frame will have the same manual of arms. Also I don't like polymer framed guns so no suggestions for Kel-Tecs, poly Kahrs, baby Glocks ect please.

FM12

S&W jframe .38 spl. If it's a Back Up, it HAS to work. 'Nuff said. I have three .38 snubbies, trust my life to all three, always have one (at least) cloose by.

Creature

Shot both...and definitely thought the K9 was a beast to shot with +P+. I will never willing do that again. :eek:

For this comparison, in my eyes the snubby is champ. You cant go wrong with 38Spl +P. Besides not leaving brass behind, a revolver is just plain ol' reliable. My older-than-dirt Chief's Special is my CCW of choice.

goste

Just one question, Scout, how do you plan on carrying this BUG, on duty? As an LEO, I can advise if your gonna carry in an ankle holster, I would pick the KHAR, at least for on duty carry. Either would work well, for off duty carry, But I can tell you, as one central Texas lawman to another, Its pretty hard to find a comfy place to carry an on duty Bug, with all the other crap, we have to carry.

I removed one of my handcuff cases, and wore a Makarov 9mm on my belt, in a basket weave holster. I wore it for about a month, before my Sgt. noticed it, and made me remove it.

Most LEO's I know, carry ankle holster, but at 6'3'', I have found that this just does not work well for me.

I like the belt method, cause if I needed a BUG, I figured I would need it in a hurry.

Wait till you try to run down a suspect, with a BUG bouncing around on your ankle. :D

just my .002 :D :D

'75Scout

In all honesty I want to try some type of belly band over my body armor. I also plan to carry 1 or 2 extra mags for my Sig 220 in the belly band. The dress shorts have zippers most of the way down so I could have quick access with some practice.

Go with the Kahr. It's a fine pistol, pocketable if you want to carry that way, and nothing beats having 40% more ammunition. I have heard of no reliability issues with the pistol, and own one myself.

If you're getting something for the wifey, though, maybe you should solicit her opinion about whether she thinks polymer frame is okay....

See this about women and racking the slide: http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

+1 for the Kahr. I have the MK40 and I love everything about it. The gun is so thin and easily concealed that the weight is almost a non-factor with a good holster.

You would be suprised how it stacks up size wise to the Smith J-frames too.

Kahr-J.jpg

Gazpacho

I would actually recommend against the (micro) Kahr pistols because of the required finger strength to rack the slide. The 9mm has an extremely heavy recoil spring, and the 40s&w is even heavier. If by chance you were wounded in the hand, you might not have the ability to function the slide.

I would actually recommend against the (micro) Kahr pistols because of the required finger strength to rack the slide. The 9mm has an extremely heavy recoil spring, and the 40s&w is even heavier. If by chance you were wounded in the hand, you might not have the ability to function the slide.
I have owned mine for awhile now and that is the first I have ever heard about that issue. I have definately never had that issue myself.

Which model did or do you own and how long did or have you owned it? Do you have hand strength issues?