Which for 100 yards

HKFan9

I am planning on what next 1911 to get to expand my collection, I am strongly considering a 6'' long slide with target sights for a fun range gun.

My go to choice will most likely be the STI 6.0 Target Master.

My problem is its available in both 9mm, and 45acp, I don't know which one would lend itself to playing around at 100yards with.

This will NOT be a defensive gun, strictly a range toy, just asking what people think would perform better at 100, either 9mm or .45, mostly factory ammo maybe some reloads.

I know a ton about guns, but I haven't brushed up on ballistic charts in some time.;)

rock185

HKFan9, I usually do a little shooting at 100 yds with my 1911s anytime I'm at the range. I was out a few days ago and did shoot .45 ACP, 38 Super and 9MM at 100 yds. My guns are sighted in for center of mass at 25 yds. At 100, just holding at the top of my 10" diameter steel targets at 100 seems to produce hits with 9MM and 38 Super. The 45 ACP, requires holding over the target several inches. I don't have a 6" STI, but do have a 5" STI Trojan ,38 Super. I suspect the 6" Target Master you mentioned would do what you need at the range.

If you're going to be shooting out to 100 yds with a 1911, the 9MM might be the way to go. Especially with the +P and +P+ 9MM ammo, very flat shooting...

Of course, if you sight the gun in for 100, even the ,45 will make consistent hits, but it really requires the rear sight to be cranked way up. I used to shoot a large metal gong at another range at 200 yards with a .45acp. About the best I ever did, without changing the rear sight adjustment, was about 35% hits on this large gong one afternoon. I had to hold WAY over on the berm behind the gong to make hits at 200 with the .45 acp...