Which finish would you prefer and why?

What finish would you prefer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TNT

I was thinking about this and was wondering what everyones take is in on this if you had the choice of a finish what would you prefer on rifle. And why

Myself I have a soft spot for parkerizing simply because of practicality my 870 is parkerized and I love it water just beeds off of them and it just looks mean.

skeeter1

Blued may not be practical...

...but it sure is a lot prettier.

I've only got one stainless steel gun (the Smith 60) that seemed practical for taking with me when backpacking. For my "nice" guns, I'll take blued steel and walnut stocks every time!

Jseime

Im a stainless/tough stock man. My guns are working guns they dont just sit around looking good they shoot and hunt so i want a stainless barrel/action and a laminated or a synthetic stock it just seems practical.

I'm also a big fan of shiny things (you should see my truck)

tINY

The more I mull it over, the more I like the idea of an epoxy paint like Dura Coat. It can be shiny blue-grey if that is the look I want on that gun.

-tINY

maas

my guns are working guns too. i still think damaged walnut is better that perfect plastic. also all you need is some sand paper and laquer to make walnut perfect again.

Scorch

Which finish do I prefer for what purpose? For sheer beauty, I prefer blued and walnut. For hunting rifles, sheer ease of maintenance and fewer hassles, I prefer Stainless and fiberglass.

ElkSlayer6x5

look in my safe

And you will see all sorts of stocks walnut,etc., laminated and yes a syn
but all have blued actions :D i have looked at the stainless and do like um but up till now the blued one screamed buy me louder, well at least when i picked up my laminated blued .17 cal
I live in oregon and all but my Italian O/U go afield rain or shin.
and beleave me in deer/elk season it is wet, they all still look great.
I will admit to refinishing the stock on my Win. 670 30.06. got it from a friend in calif in 92 and after a few seasons here it was time for a makeover that was 8 seasons ago :cool: looks as good now as when i re did it
also will add just picked up a m70 fw stainless/ walnut stock for my Dad :D
wow what a looker that gun is :eek: may just have to find another ;)

USNairman

My choice goes to stainless just for the easy maintenance and the better looks. I prefer a stainless barrel fitted with a nice walnut stock for looks though I'll never turn down a classic blue and walnut. I flat out refuse to own a rifle that is synthetic and blue though. If I need a great all weather gun thin I go with a laminate and SS.

TPAW

Stainless, because I hunt land based game and also shark. It's best for the salt water environment.

870 wingmaster

This thread turned out pretty even with stainless and blued!!! I have a weak spot myself for a good old polished blue finish with whatever kind of wood you want for a first choice as far as classic weapon and design. But I do like a nice stainless on some models also like a 1911 or certain revolvers. I dont like synthetic as far as looks but do realize there purpose on a serious {use}weather hunting weapon. But I myself would be carrying a dinging up wingmaster shotgun or any rifle with blue and walnut finish and be proud in the woods just because it is classic!!!! Any gun that is proudly used is what I call a working gun no matter what you like!!!:)

El Paso Joe

I think I would have to go with blued metal and the sheen of hand rubbed oil on a nice piece of walnut. Just sexy. A little more maintenance than stainless and synthetic but if just looks like what a rifle is spozed to look like... Although for a rifle to put behind the seat and bounce around the synthetic/stainless would be hard to beat.

Anthony Terry

personaaly, i love the warmth and beauty of blue and deep finished walnut on something i cherish and love so much as my deer rifle. now my varmint gun or long range baby i like syn or laminated. both are as tough as the other, but laminated will be slightly heavier, which is better for a target gun or varmint rifle. not for a hunting rifle IMO. lam is too heavy and syn makes too much noisse in brush. i like stainless and my 7mm is stainless fluted with the HS graphite comp. stock. it looks really nice, but its hard to beat that blue and wood boys.

Picher

I don't have a "favorite" for all guns, but have favorites for various uses. For most, a nice polished blue is nice, but for hunting rifles, stainless is my favorite for longevity, but it should be taped or painted to minimize visibility.

For handguns, stainless is also good, especially for those that are hidden away in cars, under mattresses, etc.

I wish I had a stainless shotgun. I'm not too excited about having mine hard-chromed, but recognize the value in that. Blueing works okay for upland hunting in good weather. I don't hunt waterfowl any more, but there are advantages to the various hard coatings or stainless for that application.

I'm generally very careful with my guns and keep them clean and well-preserved. I also don't hunt in really bad conditions any more.

Picher