Which Family?

roy reali

Both the .30-06 and .308 Winchester are fine rounds. For most shooting in the lower 48, either one is about perfect. Both cartridges have also been used to come up with many other ones. Going through my reloading manuals made me realize just how many offsprings came form the .30-06 and the .308.

My question is, which family of cartridges do you seem to prefer? The ones developed from the .30-06 case of the ones developed from the .308 case?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've tagged some 20+ bucks with my '06 and also with my .243. So, obviously, six of one, half-dozen of the other. :D

My .223 is better for prairie dogs, however. :D:D:D

Love 'em both. I have two .308's and recently sold a 30-06, but I just had to go and buy another '06. It should be here today. There's really no need to own both, just as there's no sense in NOT owning both.

taylorce1

Lets see I own a .25-06, .270, .30-06 8mm-06, .338-06 and .35 Whelen. I own as well a .243 and .358 Win. I like them both but my prerence runs to the 06 case as it is able to do more with larger diameter bullets. I'm hoping to add a 6.5-06, .375 & .400 Whelen some day to the line up. I'm not wanting to add anymore .308 offspring unless I can find a good deal on a .22-243 AI or something like that for long range varminting.

If you really want to read about a cartridge that has a whole slew of off spring look at the .375 H&H. Every belted magnum Winchester, Remington, and Weatherby produced was inspired by this case. Probably a few others I'm missing as well.

Scorch

So here I am again, odd man out. 57mm cases are my favorites. I own a 7X57, I am building an 8X57, and over the years I have owned a 6mm Rem, 6.5X57, and 9X57. My other favorite is the H&H family, I owned a 375 H&H and an 8mm Rem Mag.

mikejonestkd

I have more rifles chambered for .308 variants than any other. I think the .243, the 7mm-08 and the .308 are each prime niche cartridges for their intended purposes.

taylorce1

So here I am again, odd man out. 57mm cases are my favorites. I own a 7X57, I am building an 8X57, and over the years I have owned a 6mm Rem, 6.5X57, and 9X57.

Not really the odd man out Scorch! I want a .257 Roberts, 9X57and 9.3X57, they are on my short list as well. I've got 3 more small ring actions I'm looking to do something with. I'm thinking I'll build the 9X57 next using a .358 caliber barrel since the bullet selection is better and a .356 caliber.

GeauxTide

I've got 6.5-06, 280, 30-06, and 338-06. I've also got 260 (2), and 308 (2). I've found the 2 inch case much more forgiving and easier to put accurate loads together quickly. As I've gotten older, the 260 sings my song more than the rest.

jimbob86

The next rifle I purchase will probably be a .260 ..... that said, I have more rifles in both __ x57 mm and 06 lengths than the shorter stuff.

UniversalFrost

the 308 owes it's life to the 06' so instead of two seperate families, there is one main line lets call them the "longs" that came from the 30/06 and then the "shorts" that came from (and including) the 308.

I own lots of both "families" and I also am an owner of a 308 and 30/06 (several to be precise).

lefteyedom

300 H&H tree

It is all good.

This is like asking which of my kids I love more. There is no way to really pick.

You must not forget the 300 H&H its family tree it is long as well

Last edited:

Scorch

I'm thinking I'll build the 9X57 next using a .358 caliber barrel since the bullet selection is better and a .356 caliber.
Good choice! I have considered doing the same. Maybe we can have twins!

And just believe me when I tell you that swaging .358" bullets down to .356" is not hardly worth the effort.
You must not forget the 300 H&H
My other favorite is the H&H family
Got that one covered!

thinkingman

X51.
I have a 7mm-08 and my next cf rifle will be 243win.
That case just really makes sense for accuracy and efficiency.
If I was looking for a dense woods rifle, I'd consider a 358win.

FrankenMauser

The .270 Winchester and .280 Remington are children of the .30-03. If you call the .30-06 their parent, or you're dealing with inbreeding.

Oddly, I have only ever owned two rifles based on those cartridges:
.30-06
.243 Win

Everything else comes from cartridges that are old school, obsolete, commie, or .30-03-derived.

Trigger Time

I prefer short action calibers in my bolt rifles. That way if I need a quick follow up shot I can work the bolt without taking the rifle from my shoulder and without the bolt poking me in my dominant eye. Of course I don't hunt anything that requires more than a .308 with my bolt guns (or with any gun for that matter). I do have a 760 in .30-06 that I bought used. It's a sweet gun- I think it probably used to belong to the grim reaper.

taylorce1

No .22 TTH for me! I love the smaller capacity cartridges for my high volume shooting. Give me cases that hold less than 30 grains every time. If I want 4K fps I'll stick to the .204 Ruger. Nothing wrong with the higher case capacity stuff, I just like to save a little money now and again.