Which Carry Load For Kel-Tec P 32?

FLA2760

:confused:
Hi Everyone
I need to know which load you would recomend for self defense in the Kel Tec P32? I sometimes carry the P32 when I am "not carrying a gun". It is currently loaded with Speer Gold Dots 90gr. Some have said FMJ or Hardball.
What do you suggest? Sometimes the Glock is just too big!

Steve

srfl

Stick with that round if it works in your gun (accurate, controllable and inexpensive enough for you to train with)....I would shy away from FMJ in a self-defense gun. The .32 ACP is not the most powerful round in the world so you need all the help you can get in that round which means a good JHP....and shot placement.

payne

I'm actually going to go against what srfl said. Penatration is the most important factor in defence. the expansion offered by a JHP will do nothing if it cant get to vital areas inside the body. With a 32 you more than likely won't be too worried about overpenatration. In fact, you should be worried about underpenatration. To get the needed penatration I would carry ball ammo in the 32. Basically I'd carry FMJ in anything smaller than 380. You will get many varied opinions on this subject but remember a bullet that expands to maximum potential but stops short of a vital area still allows that aggressor to attack. A bullet that never expands but penatrates a vital area will quickly halt the attack, probably not by choice either.

<.380=FMJ

> or equal to .380=JHP of choice

mtnbkr

If you actually mean a P32 (you mentioned 90gr bullets which are common in the 380acp or P3AT), then go for the euro FMJ loads like S&B or Dynamit Nobel. They're hard to find, but relatively inexpensive. I buy 5-10 boxes whenever I find them. Currently, I'm using S&B, which runs about $6-$8/box.

Chris

denfoote

So far nobody has mentioned the dreaded rimlock when using .32acp hollow points!!

If I were to load my P32 with HPs, then I'd either do the so-called "Flyer Wire" modification, load nothing but hardball, or find an HP with an OAL such that the problem does not occur, if such exists!!

You can find out about both HERE .

cje1980

No-brainer FMJ all the way. HPs in .32 only penetrate about 7" that's about what Glasers penetrate in 9mm. Not good. Expansion means nothing if the bullet doesn't get to where it needs to.

pocketgun

denfoote said:
So far nobody has mentioned the dreaded rimlock when using .32acp hollow points!!

If I were to load my P32 with HPs, then I'd either do the so-called "Flyer Wire" modification, load nothing but hardball, or find an HP with an OAL such that the problem does not occur, if such exists!!

You can find out about both HERE .

If you are going to use JHP ammo in the P32, I recommend buying the kit Kel-Tec sells to help avoid this problem. Essentially, this is a small strip that takes up a small amount of room in the back of the magazine, so the shorter JHP ammo cannot move around during firing and become "rimlocked". It includes a new follower as well. I suggest buying a couple of extra mags and kits and using them for JHP ammo only.

The Flyer Wires (named after the username of the guy who invented them) also work well, but you have to do the work yourself. They have the advantage of being easily removed or installed once created, so you can use your existing mags for both practice and carry. They also are practically free, as materials costs are negligible!

azrael

Ball ammo all the way...Ya gotta get the bullet to where it will do some good...JHP's might not have the gas to do so..

Plus I would listen to pocketgun about the rimlock issue....

Javelin Man

Both

I carry a Federal Hydrashok in the tube and one on top of the magazine, then the rest of the magazine is Winchester White Box round nose. It has proven to be the most reliable in my particular P32. I'd like the S&B, but the hard primers are too much for my gun.

Last edited: