Which calibers do you ENJOY shooting?

Saab1911

I'm not talking about stopping power. I'm not talking about fast bullets or
big holes. I'm not talking about cost effectiveness. None of those topics
belong in this thread.

Instead, what calibers do you enjoy shooting regardless of cost?

I personally enjoy shooting 45ACP, 357 magnum and 9mm, all for different
reasons.

When I shoot the 9mm, I feel like I'm being caressed by vestal virgins with
fans made of swan feathers. Limp wrist or not, the round is a *****cat.

I've always loved the 357 magnum ever since I first shot it. The recoil is
surprisingly controllable if you shoot a revolver with a barrel that is at least
6". More of the energy in the gas is used in pushing the bullet and hence
less gas energy is available to contribute to felt recoil. The report is
awesome and so is the muzzle flash. It's almost like a 357 magnum revolver is two
weapons in one. If the bullet doesn't get the bad guy, the flame shooting
forth from the muzzle will at least singe Osama's beard, make him look even
more goofy than he already is.

And, I don't think I will ever be without a pistol that shoots the 45 ACP
(read 1911). Yes the recoil is a handful, and if you limp wrist a 1911 the
pistol will control you and not the other way around. The 1911 chambered
in 45 ACP (to me this is redundant) definitely requires more discipline to
master, but just like anything else, the more you put into it the more you'll
get out of it.

So, which calibers do you enjoy shooting? Again, no stopping power. No
big hole versus small fast bullet. No cost discussion. Please.

Cheers,

Jae

Rampant_Colt

22LR - why? for extended shooting sessions, because of low price and low recoil. [accuracy, too]

.44 Mag - why? because i can do just about anything with it from weak .44 Special/.44 Russian to booming 320gr cast hot loads. AND i have rifles and handguns chambered for it

.357 Sig - why? my drop-in Federal Arms ported barrel is amazingly accurate in my Glock 22

.38 Special - why? just because :cool:

nate45

The .22 is fun to shoot and very accurate, you said not to discuss cost, so I won't say how economical it is.:D

ClarkEMyers

.22 rimfire - everything else I'm distracted by lost brass but....

.22 rimfire - a little .32 S&W Long in a revolver everything else I'm distracted by lost brass (or hulls) but....

azredhawk44

.22, because I don't feel like I am losing anything when shooting. I don't have to chase brass.

.45acp, because it's just a pleasurable cartridge. It pushes just right.

.44magnum, because it feels like a "big" 45acp, all grown up. Different action and recoil in the gun, but something about it still feels the same.

Saab1911

except for .357 magnum out of my S&W J Frame. OUCH!

So, do you enjoy being hurt? Does a lady clad only in black leather put out
her cigarette on your tongue? :eek: Different strokes for different blokes.

And is a S&W J Frame .357 magnum revolver a dominatrix of firearms?

AZ Med18

When shooting an object like milk jugs or other pieces in the forest I love the .22 because I can shoot that object alot and it remains intact while spending very little money.

At the range doing target practice I enjoy the 9mm Cost effective and the recoil with my bad wrist I don't even notice.

Moe Howard

I enjoy my Sig p229 in .357sig and m M&P in 9mm the most. My local range gives you a target with a 5X7 orange 10 ring. I can consistently keep my rounds in the 10 ring at 15 yards with all my handguns but with the Sig and M&P I can consistently punch out a hole the size of a door knob. I love shooting my .45s and prefer its recoil to other calibers but shooting a really tight pattern gives me more satisfaction than anything else when shooting. I wish I could shoot that well with every handgun but the fact is I can't.

Silvanus

I love 9mm and .38 special. But I think that has more to do with the pistols I prefer than the caliber itself. My favourite handguns are my Glock 17 and S&W 66/19.

HeroHog

• .22 LR
  • .38 SPL
  • 9mm (9x19)
  • 9mm Largo (9x23)
  • 9mm WinMag (9x29)
  • .45 ACP
  • .44 Magnum (Medium loads, not super-stout but hotter than .44 SPL... OK, I'm gettin old) :p

Rampant_Colt

Harry Callahan said:
10mm out of my S&W Model 1006. Expensive, but fun!
I knew it!
If 10mms were available in 1971, Dirty Harry woulda had one! :cool:

I forgot to mention .460 S&W Magnum - yes, i enjoy shooting it! They don't recoil as bad as one may think... Using a shootin' glove, and doubled-up with plugs AND muffs, it's a hell of a lot of fun all the way out to 150 yards. .454 Casull and .45 Colt ammunition may also be fired in a .460-chambered firearms

Keltyke

In no certain order:
.357 mag.
9mm
.40 S&W
.22 LR

The me, they're all "fun" to shoot, for various reasons.

The.357 mag. revolver is my "boom-boom" gun. When you fire it, you can feel the impact on your chest and hear the classic mag. boom. People tend to turn their heads when it goes off. Nothing like it.

The 9mm is just plain fun in a medium caliber. Not too much recoil, accurate.

The .40 is sorta like the .357, you know when it's being fired. Easy to shoot.

The .22 LR is just plain FUN! I get up there with a 317 and popopopopopopop. Pretty accurate, too. I like firing my daughter's Mosquito, too. Cheap.

tred1956

I like my 7mmBR. There is just something about 300 yards with a pistol that amazes me every time.;)

Safe shooting
Doug