Which Browning to get? Browning BDA 380 or Hi-Power 9mm?

hpstand.jpg

GUNFINDER.NET_993061694_bdlnickel.jpg

I've always wanted a Browning semi-auto, so which one should I get? I'm evaluating the BDA and HP using 3 criterias: Size, caliber, and price.

Size wise, I dont' have the biggest hand out there, so the thickness of the grip is important. I have the Ruger P90 for comparison, its grip is slightly too big for me, but that's okay for .45acp. The BDA looks quite abit smaller, I wonder if it's also thinner than HP. I don't plan on CC, but less weight would also be better.
Does anyone know the dimension and weight of either pistols?

Actually I was set on BDA, except it uses .380 instead of the 9x19mm. I have the .45 Ruger for stopping power, but I want a backup that can deliver as well.
Does the 9mm cartridge performs better than .38 overall, size vs. power?

The price really separates the two by a large margin. I've seen new BDA going for $390, while the HP commands $600+ even used. Here's another questions, is BDA a true Browning? I've heard it's a re-badged Sig220 in 80s, and later a re-badged Beretta 84 in 90s.
Does Browning actually make anything, or they just put their stamp of approval on the slide? The HP I've seen were made by someone else too, ie. FN.

Appreciate any info or insight, thanks.

Last edited:

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Browning imports firearms. The .380 BDA was made by Beretta and is the same gun as their Model 84 other than the slide configuration and location of the thumb safety. The guts are the same. Fabrique Nationale (FN) makes the Browning Hi Power. In this country and those where Browning's the importer, they are marked such. The rest of the world gets HPs marked FN.

Of these two guns, I'd get the HP. The 9x19mm round will deliver significantly more at the receiving end that the .380 ACP. I've not checked on this as I don't shoot much .380, but I THINK that you can buy 9mm ammunition much cheaper for the 9mm as it's so popular these days. I'm not saying that the .380 would be an ineffective defensive choice at all, only that there's no contest between it and a proper defensive 9mm load.

Hi Powers are somewhat difficult to find now, so if I could find a new or like new HP for a close-to-decent price and wanted one, I'd go for that gun.

I am prejudiced however, as HPs are my favorite pistols.

Best.

dinosaur

CDNN is selling BDA`s for $369.99 with one 10 round mag. I guess you can get pre bans for it but I only see 10 rounders in their catalog. Believe me, you can find used HP`s for under $400 if you`re patient. 13 round mags and 17 rounders aren`t hard to find.

I owned the Beretta 84 and it was a good gun. Given the choice, I`ll take the HP every time though. YMMV.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

My friend, Mr. Camp has been shooting Browning's
for many, many year's. Although he won't admit it,
in my neck of the wood's he is considered an expert;
not only with his shooting of these gun's, but by his
studies and understanding of how these firearm's
work. If you have a question or two about any
Browning handgun; ask my friend, as he's always
willing to help. With that said, I too would recommend
the BHP 9m/m. However, if money was no object; I
would buy both gun's.:D :) :cool:

Respectfully,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

LBC

I have only limited experience with the BHP (a few years) but it is a wonderful pistol, and that is what I suggest you purchase.

GWC

Obviously handle them both, and I have them both (actually I have the beretta versions 84F (which is almost identical to the BDA) and 85F, and several BHP's). the 84F/BDA being double stack has virtually the same grip thickness as the BHP, about 1.4" - but the BHP grip thickness can be slightly (but you'll notice it!) reduced by buying aftermarket thinner grips (wood spegel's or avridex, etc). weights are (unloaded) BHP- 32oz BDA - 23 oz (approx)

I really like them both, but Mr Camp (yes, one of Theeee experts) is correct about the 9mm round's performance (energy around 330 vs 200 for .380). I have average guys hands and both fit superbly in mine, which is why I like them all a lot! I subscribe to Ala Dan's approach, if you likem buy'em both, so I did !!! go to the BHP forum site for all the info you can find (and then some!!)

http://www.fnhipower.com/index.html

hksigwalther

Browning had two BDA guns they were marketing. One in 9mm and one in .380ACP. Both were even sold at the same time at one point until Browning dropped the 9mm, IIRC. The BDA 9mm was the SIG P220. The BDA .380ACP has always been the Beretta.

GWC

In the case of the browning .380 BDA and beretta 84F .380, their respective slides are marked with the appropriate brand name (I don't recall if the browning has any reference to it being made by beretta - but I don't think so from handling several not long ago). Other differences I know of are:
- BDA has full slide covering the entire barrel
- BDA has smooth wood grips (as opposed to the 84F wood grips (or plastic) with checkering - which in my case make a difference in holding and firing the weapon (personal preference)
- BDA sights seem to be a bit different (seem thinner at rear and at front post, again, I preferred the beretta sights)
- magazines used by the 2 are identical (either the 10 or pre-ban 13 round)
- BDA has spur hammer where the 84F has round "commander" style (again my preference)

I'm far from an expert, but looked at both fairly closely - and I have 2 beretta cheetahs as I stated (85F, 84F). each has fired probably 4-500 rounds with ZERO problems (combination of FMJ, and hydra shoks, golden sabres, and speer gold dot JHP's). They are not small, most call them "medium" sized for .380s, but I'm a fan. and since I got great deals for both, couldn't be happier (but then again, I have several BHP's too that are probably my favorites)

radom

The BDA is marked on the slide as being made by Baretta. They are a fine well made gun but a bit large for a .380 caliber in my opinion.

Eric Larsen

I shot a BDA while in college and have never had the pleasure of shooting a "real" HP. Just the clones.

If you are set on a Browning they both have strong suits. The BDA is smaller and in everyway a very nice gun. Ammo is more
$ than the HP ...at least in 9mm. The HP is usually harder to find and alot more $. But you get a slightly more accurate gun and
from what I hear is just as nice...most of the time.

Tough choice.......a tip? If you are looking for a .380, having owned and shot a BDA which I loved, I can and will recommend
a CZ 83...Its worth a look.

Shoot well

P.S. Beretta Hi caps work in the BDA and can be had a couple of places...CDNN and others. Hi caps for the HP are a little more common and reasonably priced.....

Peepsite

I've owned 2 Browning (Belgium) High Powers and a BDA. I still have the High Powers and sold the BDA cause all it did is sit in my safe. I've owned dozens and dozens of revolvers and autoloaders, and there is NOTHING that fits me, points as well, and is as utterly reliable as my Belgium HPs. High Powers are so sweet. I don't have to look for my brass when plinking cause they both plunk it all in one neat pile (except when I'm practicing tacticle exercises). I would buy both, but if I could only have one, the High Power no doubt! Look for a Belgium HP. There're out there, just a little more expensive and worth it.

Coronach

JMO-

The Hi Power is a classic, the BDA is not.

9mm is a good defensive round, .380 is marginal

The HP offers 17+1 rounds of 9mm in a medium size gun (with SA magazines, $20 each right now), the BDA offers 10 rounds of .380 in a gun of roughly the same size (unless you buy full-caps, which are spendy)

Get the HP.

Again, JMO.

Mike

Redlg155

Definitely the Hi Power.

Looks, aftermarket parts and future resale value are things I look at as well as the availability of ammunition and cost.

9mm ammo at the local Wallyworld is $10.50 a box of 100rds or $5.97 for 50. .380 ammo is $9 + a box.

More bang for your buck, more effective stopping power, great resale value and tons of aftermarket parts as well as "normal capacity" magazines available at a reasonable price. For some time CDNN has had South African 17rd mags for $20 bucks. Ya can't beat that for magazines.

Good Shooting
RED

mikey357

Buy the Hi-Power...MUCH more in demand, a true "Classic" of design, easier to modify to YOUR liking...Hi-Power!!!....mikey357